Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Hub of rail travel..

Hub of rail travel..

Bangkok set to be hub of Pan-Asia rail routes | Bangkok Post: news

Thai-Sino railway deal just part of an ambitious China plan which covers the region

I would think, to be effective for passenger use, competing with such cheap air travel or bus systems.. It really needs to be high speed rail doesnt it ??
    K2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Thai-Sino railway deal just part of an ambitious China plan which covers the region

I would think, to be effective for passenger use, competing with such cheap air travel or bus systems.. It really needs to be high speed rail doesnt it ??
    Or you have to include super de luxe trains like the orient express, star of Africa and the one going from Sing to BKK. private coupés, star restaurant,

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

That's the thing
    It really needs to be more than an average train because flying in Asia isn't the pain that flying in the west is

I always take the train from NYC/BOS because it is just much less of a hassle than flying
    LivinLOS likes this.

All tho it was back in the day....one thing I do not wish to remember too much was a bus trip from Phuket to Chiang Mai.

White knuckle stuff.....probably back in 1998 or so.

I blew up a motorbike in Laos / Cambo.. Got it to the border and solved it with postage to CNX..

Then I just had to get myself here.. I could get a bus from Poipet to the airport, and be home that evening.. Or I could take a bus.. Someone in the bus station told me I woud make CNX in about 12 hours and I thought.. Meh, cost 3x as much to save maybe 3 or 4 hours.. What a mistake..

Multiple hops.. No schedules.. No information.. Having to change and wait all day.. All night on a bus stopping in every medium town.. I think I got to chiang mai the next day midday.. Horrible horrible way to travel and these days only pennies more than flying. Sure if you can get a direct high speed one, maybe.. but as 'travel' ?? Fuck that.

Same story....never to be repeated

Nightmare journey