Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By LivinLOS
  • 3 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 3 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By WarProfiteer
  • 1 Post By TLandHim

Thread: The Farang cycle of Life and Death.

The Farang cycle of Life and Death.

VERY well observed article.. If I had any quibble at all it would be I dont think these are cycles you pass through, more layers where you still come back to the previous layers day in day out..

Farang Cycle of Life and Death in Thailand - Chiang Mai Locator, Wiki

Strangely, I've always felt there were three stages of expat farangs:

-First stage is the farang LOVES everything Thai (sort of coincides with the cycles first three stages)
    -Next, reality sets in and he sees many more negatives and literally hates many things Thai
    -Lastly, one sees thing on a bit more of an even keel and weights the good vs. the bad. If too much is weighted on the negative side, the expat goes back to farangland.

I know some expats that have been here for years and are still totally immersed in the first stage....and they always will be.
    Petter, LivinLOS and nelsonone like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I definitely think cycles, or stages.. But then again you can go through all of them in an afternoon some days.. I also agree with the article writer there are periods more and less likely to result in leaving, and those leaving points leave a very different post impression..

Theres also certain character traits which you see time and again.. One of my favorites being the guy who knows how it works because his missus said x, like some barely literate rice farmers daughter is the best opinion he could consult (often about purchasing assets or financial decisions) or the guy whose firm knowledge of something refuses to accept that because it happened once that way, means it doesnt always happen that way (the inconsistency).

In fact could be a fun thread.. Farang Archetypes..
    JimCA2 likes this.

Farang archetypes, yes. I think # 1 being the guy that says "no, she's different"...55555. uuhhhh, yeah.
    Last edited by billpay; 31st December 2015 at 10:48.
    obes, LivinLOS and JimCA2 like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I am only a yearly visitor now so I find the things I like about Thailand and Thai people and focus on that and I honestly have enjoyed Thailand more the last 2 years than I have in a long time and really looking forward to April trip.

But I really struggle with some expats and other tourists that go to Thailand.
    I think I am lucky as hell to have met so many great guys from all over the world in Thailand...... Something I never would have done if not for Thailand.

But some expats and tourists do put me off the place.

By the way......I think these types of cycles happen everywhere.

I've decided to focus on the positives and not the negatives in some of "my places"

Despite it being a great place, there is a ton of stuff that annoys me about Vancouver.... Homeless people, construction everywhere, total lack of citizen everyday life by local govt.
    But I decided to not let those things worry me and focus on the fact I went god damn skiing at 1:30pm after work only a 20min drive from my apartment!

Same with Boston. I was home for 8 days for Xmas and I really figured out I am so much different than a lot of my friends and family and my sister and brother way of life (total white trash) drive me nuts but I decided to not let all that get to me and enjoy what I like about the people there and the city.

I also figured out(already knew really) that nothing bugs me about NYC.
    It really is where I belong and decided to put a plan in motion to get back living there in next 4-5 years.
    But until I get back there I am going to just focus on the positives anywhere I am

good. well thought out article..I can certainly see bits of myself in there

At the 4 year point, I'm pretty much vacillating between stages 4-6, with a lot of 8 thrown in. Dont get me wrong, I have good days where I just accept the bad side, other days it just genuinely boggles my mind, and other days it actually annoys me. I dont get annoyed too much anymore... it's a waste to let it happen. Wont change anything anyway. Doesnt stop me from being surprised at just how stupid some business owners can be... even when you're a long term repeat customer for years, out of the blue one day they'll try ripping you off. That's always a head-scratch moment.

Still looking elsewhere long term, myself. Panama, Costa Rica, a few other places in that region. We'll see how it plays out...
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Doesnt stop me from being surprised at just how stupid some business owners can be... even when you're a long term repeat customer for years, out of the blue one day they'll try ripping you off. That's always a head-scratch moment.
    Or the flipside when I busted my reading glasses yesterday and the first vendor I found on Sukhumvit tourist central opened his mouth and the proper price with out the haggle game came out, and made a sale and it was done.

In October in San Diego I dealt with a fast talking rep at Hertz rent a car that tried to get me in a Camaro for an additional 450 dollars on top of the 125 deposit I had made on the net. I said whoa, I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'll take the internet deal I signed up for. Bill came in and the fkr put me in a 75 dollar upgrade vehicle. I followed up and got it removed but really? in the west?

^ one of the things I always used to really hate flying in to the USA (apart from Customs)...those Rental car reps are the biggest rip off artists in the world...persistent and pernickety...I used to just keep repeating..."just give me the small car I ordered"...and quite often I got a free upgrade anyway as the smaller cars are quite popular and get taken early

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ one of the things I always used to really hate flying in to the USA (apart from Customs)...those Rental car reps are the biggest rip off artists in the world...persistent and pernickety...I used to just keep repeating..."just give me the small car I ordered"...and quite often I got a free upgrade anyway as the smaller cars are quite popular and get taken early
    Dead right!!!!
    Hertz Gold Club member and all, book at least 2 months in advance for a 2-3 month hire, turn up to LA and they always want to upgrade me from the ordered Camry to an SUV or some other piece of crap and even for the same price.

The reason I book a Camry is it has a slightly larger boot than everything else including the bigger cars and it will fit 2 large suitcases and our other crap, in the boot and out of sight.

Nothing worse or more stupid than being a tourist and display all the potential pickings to any thief that walks past.

Hertz have really pissed me off for the 4th year running
    obes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Ao and I flew into San Fran
    The rep told me my class of car wasn't ready and pushed a fcuking Porsche on me! I said no and she then pushed a Mercedes on me!

I told her I know the rules and if my class was sold out she needs to upgrade me, she actually started to refused until I ripped her to shreds

PS.....it only seems to happen at airports and as much as I fly in US......it only happens in a few places.
    Usually I am in and out in 10mins

Interesting read about the car hire hassles ... I have hired cars at Brisbane, Melbourne and Albury airports here in Oz, regularly in the last couple of years and at Perth and Sydney at other times and NEVER had a hassle and any upgrades (which has happened regularly) have been complimentary ... I have used Budget, Hertz and Avis and found all ok .... maybe it would be different if I arrived as a tourist but I doubt it .... I don't think the rental staff get anything extra themselves for "up selling" in Oz so don't bother trying....

Edit in: Just read the article. Excellent read and errr... Ouch ..... Killing me Softly ... 555
    Last edited by Minder; 8th January 2016 at 10:21.