Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The new face of Tourism

The new face of Tourism

This part stood out to me...555

In February, the exasperated caretakers of a famous temple in Chiang Rai province declared they would build separate toilets for non-Chinese tourists after Chinese tourists made lavatories unusable for others, reported German news agency DPA.

Yeah that was the white temple.. Chinese shitting all over the place and the owner flipped..

Definitely the hot trend in tourism atm...it will be interesting to see if demand continues to grow on such an exponential curve

In the end the sheer numbers (of chinese styled tourism...and the damage that causes in places like Phi Phi) may be the downfall of western tourism here...

Having chatted with a Chinese friend who was over in CM recently it was interesting to get her perspective. Their trips tend to be short (5 days divided between Bangkok and Chiang Mai) Group related and a lot of shopping for gifts in between sight seeing packages.

I was in CM during CNY last year and the full of Chinese visitors. I stay around the corner from Wat Buppharam (Thaipae Rd) and the grounds of the Wat would be full of tuk tuk's taking Chinese tourists to visit. I have stayed in the same area over the past five years and never before had I seen more than a handful of tourists there. Last year there were queues up the main Wat steps..

^I also had a bit of a discussion with a Chinese guy that was not quite your typical one day wonder.
    He was a bit more of a traveler, and explained to me that the Chinese typically get only one week per year, so they cram is as much as they can everywhere...hardly ever staying more than one or two days in any one place.
    Also, once they have been somewhere, they cross that off their list and usually never return in following years. I guess they like to take pictures and say 'they have been there' rather than relaxing and enjoying the experience.
    soupdragon likes this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Also, once they have been somewhere, they cross that off their list and usually never return in following years. I guess they like to take pictures and say 'they have been there' rather than relaxing and enjoying the experience.
    Yes I think the 'pictures to show' and ticking places off a list as being visited seem to be both truths..

Its also the Thai and asian tourists here.. Really you cant get a seat in the bars charging 300b beers, and yet pretty damn quiet in the girly bars..

NYE seemed very down on previous years.. A much smaller zone of crowding.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Where have I seen this before?
    Oh wait, Thai gf. Going to Paris, photo at Eifel tower, done. Going to Venice, take photo, done.
    Same same
    billpay likes this.

The Japanese used to be famous for exactly the same thing....they seem to have matured more as tourists these days...I often run into single or twosomes of Japanese folk taking a more independent approach to travel these days

I met a Chinese guy in Big Dogs (entrance at Nana Plaza) a couple of nights ago. A gleam of hope. Near perfect English spoken. He was and independent traveler looking for the same holiday as any western punter. He said that years ago Canton action topped what he found in Nana but those days have long disappeared and many of the good entertainment in China has dried up. He said it sickens him to see his country men herded around in buses being rude and has no affiliation what so ever with those types. He said he has been to Thailand quite a few times over the past 3-5 years only to see quality in girls and general service go down and prices go up. The age old question came up...where next? He said it wouldnt be in Africa as the Chinese don't fancy black women. It was pretty interesting to talk with him. I asked about the impact of the one child policy and like an upside down pyramid, the one child wont be able to support two parents and four grand parents. When asked about men to women ratios and the policy, he said that the impact would be more felt in the countryside where farmers wanted boys (and aborted girls) but the cities still had plenty of girl children so there still is marriage options. He didnt trust government savings/retirement programs. Quite interesting bar banter. The time went by quickly before I could bring up the Spratlys.
    nelsonone and LivinLOS like this.

The new face of Tourism

Think you need to cut these guys some slack. They are just inexperienced travellers. Don't see much difference between what they do and euro package tour type things... Apart from lots more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Think you need to cut these guys some slack. They are just inexperienced travellers. Don't see much difference between what they do and euro package tour type things... Apart from lots more of them.
    They are an absolute menace with no social understanding.
    I mean I fly on Chinese airlines, the announcements are in their language and they ignore them and act like ignorant mongrels.
    They have elevators in China, right?
    Well apparently they never been taught how to use them. We had a consulate in our office building and I had to start putting my hands up getting out of the elevators because those ignorant bastards ran into me everyday.

Oh......and there is a city and LA had a problem because all the immigrant Chinese were shitting in the street! Literally just pooping on the sidewalk!

No social understanding because for lots of them they haven't ever been exposed to anything outside of China. Taking out door dumps even when not pissed is legit over there! They are learning and developing as an outward looking country with outward looking people...aint gonna happen over night.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Taking a shit in the moat ?? Not many euro package travellers do that..

Dressing up in uni clothes and attending university classes ??

Thats outside the suicidal scooter riding and other 'normal' things..

And like Jim said its not all of them, but theres also a significant minority of more rural / less sophisticated ones, whose spitting, haggling, loud behavior stands out and tarnishes the rest. I was in a set of street food stalls and the way it works is you get a table, usually at the stall your eating at, you eat quick as its high turnover.. This group of terribly dressed chinese women, all with these same flouro hats they must of bought and cheap looking clothes, all being super loud already, wanted to push a bunch of tables together, then order all around the market, probably sitting there for ages like a restaurant timeline.. Doing this would have deprived one stall of all their tables and they were told no, they spoke no english or Thai so it was a miss communication from the get go but they had a proper screaming fit.. shouting, cursing, trying to do it anyway, slamming the metal tables about and making a total scene.. The girl who came to serve our meals explained to my old lady they just didnt want to serve them, they were not worth hassle of the small money high volume food they sell. But all sides were pissed off, the Thais selling, the chinese customers, various westerners all gawking. Proper monkeys tea party.

Not a moat but a swimming pool. It's called "Logging". Standard bants on the med beach holiday circuit for pissed up Brits abroad 555

You are not seriously having a pop at some female mainlanders fashion sense are you? You have turned into a hipster up there or what?! Brit holiday makers maybe more civilised in a lot of ways but wearing appropriate clothing is not an example where we stand out.

No it was more to point out that theres many, wealthy, well dressed, normally behaved chinese travelers, so many you dont even notice them in among the other east asians.. Wandering around with expensive camera gear and generally not making a scene or standing out.. this lot were very much country bumpkin style grouping.. And its that minority which makes for an image problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    .. this lot were very much country bumpkin style grouping.. And its that minority which makes for an image problem.
    Kind of like the Isaan-ites?

I remember a few years back and having my galfriend staying with me at a nice Patong hotel. Her kids showed up from Isaan with their aunt, and were anxious to try out the hotel swimming pool. (actually, neither of them knew how to swim, so that became my task over the next few days...a boy and girl aged 8 & 11)

Both of the kids had been briefed on proper poolside etiquette, no running, noisy etc., and especially "peeing" in the pool. And they were both very courteous and well behaved.

Then...the 8 year old boy, decided it was time to take a piss. Knowing that it was unacceptable to let flow in the pool, he climbed out of the water (without saying a word), and walked off a few feet to behind the deck and lounge chairs to take a piss on the bushes surrounding the groomed and manicured lawn. 5555

It was a perfectly innocent act on his account...how would one know that in a touristy "farang land", they had amenities such as a "hong nam" for the pool guests? (They were trying so hard to be good, and the boy would have been embarrassed to tears if he had know he was doing something wrong.)

There were a few people around the pool who looked on in amazement, but what can you do? 5555
    Last edited by Pablo; 4th January 2016 at 14:28.
    LivinLOS likes this.

ha ha..

I had a bunch of family up visiting a year or so ago.. And we loaded them into the truck to go to doi inthanon and the waterfalls, and they are putting in the ice chest etc but I just dont involve myself when they are up to a plan.. So we get to the waterfall and theres all these good little restaurants but no, out of the esky comes all the stuff to make somtam, and ice water in a bucket.. Yeah its lovely you want to save money, but now I am sitting on the tailgate of my truck, eating somtam with my fingers.. Cant we go sit on the nice tables and chairs of the restaurant and eat like nice people ??

Same when I took them to Hua hin, we actually got beach chairs belonging to a restaurant and started to make their own somtam to not spend money in the place whose chairs we were sat in !!

When in Rome... how many of us when visiting China, adapt to the local culture quickly and have a dump in the street within hours of arriving? I bet it takes most of us a few weeks before it becomes routine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast