Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JimCA2
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 2 Post By JimCA2

Thread: New Years at Nana

New Years at Nana

A few shots of New Years at Nana. It was fun but I think most of the people were hoping for more. Thanks to Thai TV that had the countdown everyone was in sync. Thought of venturing out to places more cultural but didnt feel like fighting the crowds.

IMG_6992.jpgIMG_7021.jpgIMG_7036.jpgIMG_7038.jpgIMG_7048.jpg
    TLandHim likes this.

My subjective impressions on NYE for CNX were is was much more subdued than previous years.. We rode through the yuppie asian side about 9 or 10, and while busy, was like 'saturday night busy' rather than peak high season NYE busy.. Around to the farang backpackery side there was the usual throng around tapae, but I remember that through being shoulder to shoulder for a junction bridge each way from it previous years and it was fairly light once you got just 100m from the gate zone. Over the moat 'inside' the gate was light. Just before the countdown we went over to the river / iron bridge zone and again, crowds but significantly less than the first few years I was up here.

I think a big part of it was this year they were not allowing fireworks, and the lack of crazy wild fun that comes with exploding shit going off everywhere.. There were of course some, but in previous years it was mental.. I kind of prefer the mental but dangerous way.
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    My subjective impressions on NYE for CNX were is was much more subdued than previous years.. We rode through the yuppie asian side about 9 or 10, and while busy, was like 'saturday night busy' rather than peak high season NYE busy.. Around to the farang backpackery side there was the usual throng around tapae, but I remember that through being shoulder to shoulder for a junction bridge each way from it previous years and it was fairly light once you got just 100m from the gate zone. Over the moat 'inside' the gate was light. Just before the countdown we went over to the river / iron bridge zone and again, crowds but significantly less than the first few years I was up here.

I think a big part of it was this year they were not allowing fireworks, and the lack of crazy wild fun that comes with exploding shit going off everywhere.. There were of course some, but in previous years it was mental.. I kind of prefer the mental but dangerous way.
    Go to Bali. It turns into the Wild West. NYE there is actually not too shabby.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Samui too was pretty laid back this year...more like a busy high season night out than a NYE...I even stayed in until 11.30pm then went for a walk along the beach to watch the fireworks..had a beer at Swing Bar on the beach and got a table to sit no problem....I then did a lap around the bars...busy enough that it was standing room only in most joints but still not like NYE has been for the last few years that I have been living hereBusiness owners are saying that Samui is all but over for making money...

Apart from the silly string like Sef said, Saturday night busy. In the last few days you could see the numbers everywhere diminish. Hooters which actually filled up along their viewing seats had only about 4 people at ten til two last night. Hillary 2 thinned considerably after the first band finished and they usually get the lions share on soi 4. Even the swimming pool in the hotel went from most of the loungers full to just about all empty. Its definitely not high season. Off to PNH today but think BKK will be prime for me late March early April as everyone will be angling for my contribution to get them home for Songkran.
    NeedHoliday and LivinLOS like this.

I did the Iron Bridge thing this year here in CM. My first year for it. Had considered doing the rooftop of Maya, but figured we probably wouldnt be able to get a table without a reservation. We'd always done the gate, but this year tried the bridge and was very glad for it. Multiple shows out over the water, which definitely rivaled the fireworks at the gate- however we didnt have the elbow to elbow jostling, which was great. We got there about 10, walked up to Red Lion Pub for some food and beers, then back down to the bridge at 11. Decent sized crowd of maybe a couple hundred folks. There was a good mix of farangs and Thais. 7-11 was right there for those who wanted beers, a few street vendors for those wanting crepes or sausage balls, sky lantern vendors of course... overall I definitely would do it again. We all felt like it was a pretty good time.

There were multiple big professional show.. Which was cool to see.. I was meaning the dodgy chinese fireworks, I am a pure kid with those, you can get armloads for 1000b..