Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TLandHim
  • 1 Post By slampay
  • 4 Post By Easycpl

Thread: Homeless and disturbed

Homeless and disturbed

See this woman on Patong Beach in the mornings.
    Very dirty, unkept and carrying several plastic bags of stuff.
    Clearly she has mental problems and is sleeping on the beach.

I don't give to beggars etc but, if I thought it would help, I would happily slip her B100 or so everyday or so.

She is not begging, just wandering or sitting aimlessly staring.

My inclination is to stay out of it, she can always go to temple for help, I'd be poking my nose in, don't know the language customs, etc and really couldn't or am unwilling to help her significantly. But I would help if I thought it would really be of assistance

What would you do?
    Bacon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    See this woman on Patong Beach in the mornings.
    Very dirty, unkept and carrying several plastic bags of stuff.
    Clearly she has mental problems and is sleeping on the beach.

I don't give to beggars etc but, if I thought it would help, I would happily slip her B100 or so everyday or so.

She is not begging, just wandering or sitting aimlessly staring.

My inclination is to stay out of it, she can always go to temple for help, I'd be poking my nose in, don't know the language customs, etc and really couldn't or am unwilling to help her significantly. But I would help if I thought it would really be of assistance

What would you do?
    I'm the same way brother. When someone appears to be mentally challenged, I give. Maybe I'm a sucker? But I do have some experience with people life problems. When I give...i always give...I just pray it helps in someway.

They can't help their mental illness, I can only hope my donations help. I've been donating to heritage oaks for a while...the juvenile unit is my focus. Good kids and only love and science can cure them.

Heritage Oaks Hospital | Acute Psychiatric Hospital | Sacramento CA
    Bacon likes this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Is she Thai?

If so......one thing the Thais do good is looking after each other when someone is in need.
    So she may look upkept but I would bet the Thais around the beach are helping her.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Is she Thai?

If so......one thing the Thais do good is looking after each other when someone is in need.
    So she may look upkept but I would bet the Thais around the beach are helping her.
    She looks Thai but is fairly dark.
    She actually doesn't look hungry but I find it a bit heart wrenching walking past someone who probably needs help but you don't know how to really help
    and can't really get involved.

I think you are right, locals probably are helping her but I don't see that in the mornings.

Thats tough one. I dont like to give to beggars but when I do, I try to make sure it is minimal to insure that they will have to put in a full 8 hour day to make what my staff did. There is an old lady that totes a scale and she is all over town. I usually give here a dollar when I see her as she is working but for that dollar, all the girls or staff that is around get to hop on the scale. There is one beggar that hangs out with a kid, gives the impression that she is homeless and lives in the mall. Well doing an all nighter I finally got the real picture when she was picked up by her husband on a moto. A job is a job I guess. I do have a softer spot for those with disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Is she Thai?

My impression has been the opposite. When it comes to family, or fellow villagers, sure, they probably look after each other. But I often see Thais completely ignore miserable beggars and disabled people. They don't even seem to acknowledge their existence. Mind you, my experience of this is mostly in touristy areas where people prey on visitors, so it could just be because they're aware of the fact. Regardless though, I always give a little something to all of them. I don't care if I'm being scammed, and I do notice the girls seem to really appreciate it when you shell out for the poor.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    My impression has been the opposite. When it comes to family, or fellow villagers, sure, they probably look after each other. But I often see Thais completely ignore miserable beggars and disabled people. They don't even seem to acknowledge their existence. Mind you, my experience of this is mostly in touristy areas where people prey on visitors, so it could just be because they're aware of the fact. Regardless though, I always give a little something to all of them. I don't care if I'm being scammed, and I do notice the girls seem to really appreciate it when you shell out for the poor.
    I would imagine they may ignore them because they are around them and know it's a scam

I give…. when I see a woman on the sidewalk with a kid, or without for that matter, or a person with a disability, I give. Even if I'm not sure about the actual circumstances. It's not about them in particular, but rather about how I treat others, including and especially the least among us.

I have to be honest, my position in life is not all earned by the sweat of my brow. I was born to a western family of good standing, I was educated and taught the christian values of hard work and charity, even if I do not practice that religion, I do believe in a power greater than myself, and try to treat others with love and kindness. I have worked hard, and been successful by western standards in business and investment, and now have a lot of choices available to me by virtue of having money. If I had been born to poor uneducated farmers or with a mental or physical disability in the developing world, I would have none of what I have today.

I need to remember that, some of my brothers and sisters in this life got dealt a really shitty hand.

I'm really not that special, but had the good fortune to be born to a good family in a society which provided opportunity. I've worked hard, but had some lucky breaks as well. In short, this wonderful life I live today in or out of a tropical paradise, is a gift…It's not all of my making, and I need to remember to be grateful for what I have today.

If I'm a sucker, that's just fine, I'm cool with it. I'm happy to have something to share. If someone else is being dishonest, that's their karma, how I respond is mine.
    TLandHim, Waharoa, slampay and 1 others like this.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"