• 2 Post By JimCA2
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By JimCA2
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By steve w
  • 1 Post By nelsonone

Thread: Oriental Hotel

Oriental Hotel

When I was a kid, we went to the Oriental Hotel and had a meal on their riverside patio. Dad had taken this bw shot (1970/71) It wasnt in a folder I thought it was in but finally located it. I went back last summer and shot the street with the photo in mind. Now there is a much newer building and the old building, who knows what it is used for.

oriental hotel 1.jpgoriental hotel 3.jpgoriental hotel 2.jpgIMG_2908.jpg
    nelsonone likes this.

^ nice one Jim....I still like to sit and have a ridiculously priced beer in that waterfront patio area...was just there about 6 weeks ago...always been a favourite as we too stayed there as a family when I was young
    kris-one and quiksilva like this.

I remember having a drink at Raffles, Singapore. two drinks was something like 60 sing dollars. Worth it tho.. these old school hotels i love their class and ambiance that its worth to pop in for a ridiculously priced beer occasionally 555
    Last edited by kris-one; 11th January 2016 at 19:11.
    LivinLOS and nelsonone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I remember having a drink at Raffles, Singapore. two drinks was something like 60 sing dollars. Worth it tho.. these old school hotels i love their class and ambiance that its worth to pop in for a ridiculously priced beer occasionally 555
    And you have to stick to beers............any cocktail will need a mortgage! 555

I wonder if that Normandie Grill was a French restaurant way back then

Because Mandarin Oriental has that Le Normandie

^ I remember the time when it was thought that you hadn't been to Singapore unless you had been to the Raffles Hotel and had a Singapore Sling

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ I remember the time when it was thought that you hadn't been to Singapore unless you had been to the Raffles Hotel and had a Singapore Sling
    Been there, done that.

0013.jpg0013a.jpg

A couple more. Yours truly 1971, and Dec. 2015 North end of Pattaya.
    Petter and Waharoa like this.

^ I wonder if the water was as mucky in '71 as it is now....
    Petter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ I wonder if the water was as mucky in '71 as it is now....
    Considering that Jim is still alive, probably not?

It was pretty clean back then. I remember there was a small dispensary at the Jusmag bungalows and they had plenty of dangerous sea life in jars on display in their window. I imagine over the years the water killed most of them off. I also remember going snorkeling at Koh Larn and it was stunning. When I went back out there in 89 I was really disappointed to see broken plates, fishnet remnants and Lipo bottles all over the ocean floor.
    nelsonone likes this.

I never remember Pattaya Bay as somewhere I would want to swim....however in the late 80's I used to dive on the outer islands...Phai, Hu Chang, Man Wichai and Rin...I was very surprised just how clear the water was and how good the diving could be...hardly anyone down in Phuket would believe me

It got even better the further south you went...off Sattahip and Samae San...I had some of my best ever dives in Thailand on the wrecks (Hardeep and Bremen) and just off the islands down there around that time

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    I also remember going snorkeling at Koh Larn and it was stunning. When I went back out there in 89 I was really disappointed to see broken plates, fishnet remnants and Lipo bottles all over the ocean floor.
    This is one of the things that really bugs me.. I do love a good snorkel on coral.. Early Thailand trips there were huge beds all around.. The nat park south of Lanta.. Lipe.. Even just off Phuket there was still significant sea life and colorful coral..

Now I dont even want to go back to see how much its changed.. Too depressing.

I actually had an old Phuket native start crying when he was talking about his childhood and the nature of the place..
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    i went to raffles in about 2002,still have the glass they sold me the singapore sling ,forget how much ,but a lot 5555
    Petter likes this.

The Oriental 1951....start of video...some great shots along the river and at the King's Barges Museum

JimCA2 likes this.