Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mjwx

Thread: International Drivers License

International Drivers License

Ao has started taking driving lessons.

How does she go about getting a Intl Drivers License vs a regular Thai one?

Thanks

I think you're referring to an IDP (Int'l Driving Permit).

You firstly need a driver license from a country that participates in the IDP thing. I'm pretty sure that Thailand does...

In the U.S., you take your driver license to the AAA (auto club) and they verify and fill out an IDP, that's good for one year....$15.00, or so.

There's some Ministry or something in Thailand that issues these, I remember reading somewhere.

Yeah same take your drivers license to the AA....pay....and they just issue you with an International one.

Ya gotta have a license first and isn't it an "international Driver Permit" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I think you're referring to an IDP (Int'l Driving Permit).

You firstly need a driver license from a country that participates in the IDP thing. I'm pretty sure that Thailand does...

In the U.S., you take your driver license to the AAA (auto club) and they verify and fill out an IDP, that's good for one year....$15.00, or so.

There's some Ministry or something in Thailand that issues these, I remember reading somewhere.
    Yup, an IDP isn't a license but a translation of your license into 12 (I think) foreign languages.

An Aussie visiting the US doesn't need an IDP to rent and drive a car, same with an American visiting England (but to live there you must sit the driving test because you're not in the commonwealth).
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

Thanks
    I dont know specifically about Canada, but given my research into the UK and Australia it's a safe bet if she becomes a resident (or is already) I'm pretty sure that a Thai License wont be considered valid. This means to drive in Canada, she'll need to sit the Canadian driving test.

Commonwealth countries have become pretty strict over license transfers these days.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

I guess it is different from land to land.
    I got my drivers license in Belgium. So just going to the municipality where I live they gave me an International permit by just paying something like 20€. 5 years valid.

Thanks
    You have to have a regular Thai drivers license to get a international license, I think a Thai international license is valid for one year. It is different rules for each country a Thai that comes to Norway on a one year holiday can use the license for the whole periode, but a Thai that have a Norwegian resident permit can only use the international license for 3 months after that he have to get a normal Norwegian drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    You have to have a regular Thai drivers license to get a international license, I think a Thai international license is valid for one year. It is different rules for each country a Thai that comes to Norway on a one year holiday can use the license for the whole periode, but a Thai that have a Norwegian resident permit can only use the international license for 3 months after that he have to get a normal Norwegian drivers license.
    Ok, this is what I was looking for and after your post I did some research and it is the same in Canada
    See, I was confused because being from the US, I can just transfer that over and get a BC license.

She will need to take a Graduate Learning course here with a new license from her own country

Thanks

Ok, this is what I was looking for and after your post I did some research and it is the same in Canada
    See, I was confused because being from the US, I can just transfer that over and get a BC license.

She will need to take a Graduate Learning course here with a new license from her own country

Thanks
    I'm not sure but I don't think you can get a international drivers license in Thailand before you have had your normal driving license for one year.

K2
    She will need to take a Graduate Learning course here with a new license from her own country.
    She'll need to ...because she'll learn FA practical driving skills in Thailand ... pay the expidite fee and Thai licence sorted!
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    She'll need to ...because she'll learn FA practical driving skills in Thailand ... pay the expidite fee and Thai licence sorted!
    Yeah one thing I didn't like is they want to do 3hrs a day for 13 days
    Seems so rushed to me
    We learn over a course of 3-4months

Seems so rushed to me
    My GF had a full Aussie licence but let it run out. So she had to take a full test again. The fact that she had not driven for 20 odd years, I made her go and have lessons, as she really did not know how to drive from what I could see.
    She had one hour lessons a week plus I went out with her as well after she got the initial learning period over. Her lessons went once a week for about 6 months, plus whatever extra she did when we went out. That is the normal situation here and also in the UK when I learned.

To me driving 3 hours a day every day for 2 weeks is far to rushed, but perhaps that is how they do things.over there. Is good that she is learning though as when she passes her test it will give her some independance in her life. My GF would not be without her car.
    She just uses it for going to the shops, the station in the morning or going to see friends, but is happy she learned if only for a small amount of use.

To get some sort of idea on the regulations regarding IDP Permits and what the procedure in Canada is for using them, go to your local licencing centre and ask. I think if she has residence in Canada (if it is the same as Australia) she will only be able to use the IDP for a couple of months and then have to apply for a Canada licence. But you going to Thailand even for an extended period have no problem using an IDP Permit along with your Canada licence as you have no permenant address there.

I know its the more expensive option, but I think she'd be better off learning from scratch in Canada from a professional instructor who teaches defensive driving from the word go. Driving is the most dangerous activity we do every day, for a lot of us it's the most dangerous activity we'll ever undertake, it's better to learn it right from the word go because once bad habits are ingrained, it's difficult to change them.
    K2 likes this.

Points already said.. Its an IDP not an IDL (which does exist but isnt worth anything).

You cannot get a Thai IDP on the initial 1 year, you need the 5 year license..

An IDP is valid for one year but most countries only recognize them for 90 days (sometimes 180) in any one visit.. Also, the secondary issue is it becomes difficult in some countries to obtain normal insurance with an IDP, sure rental cars and the like no problem, but using a long term normal car my checks in UK (I have no UK license for big bikes) the insurance is 100s of % more if I dont have a local license.

Seems so rushed to me
    Well, I was probably right about this.

The driving school rushed her lessons and then she couldn't get a test date for 5 weeks or so
    So she basically forgot everything she learned and is now afraid she may not pass her driving test......worried about parallel parking.

But this is Thailand..... And always a solution 555
    Apparently they take the tests pretty serious in SamutPraka.

So she is likely cancelling there and going to Suphan Buri, where the test is less stringent and her aunt knows people 555