Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NeedHoliday

Thread: Mercury Falling in Thailand!

Mercury Falling in Thailand!

Missus got a call from Isaan yesterday asking about the weather and saying how cold it was there, but was ok here at the time. Woke up today and sure enough....fckin freezing (by Thai standards), sitting here in tracksuit and a jumper

A quick look online and looks like is maybe related to the storm in the US.............

The near-record snowstorm clobbered eastern United States on Friday and Saturday, shutting down New York and Washington and affecting some 85 million residents.

A cold snap gripped Hong Kong yesterday, with residents shivering as temperatures plunged to the lowest point in nearly 60 years and frost dusted the mountaintops of a city accustomed to a subtropical climate.

Hong Kong weather officials issued a frost warning, saying an "intense cold surge" was in place coupled with chilling monsoon winds.

China was heading for record low temperatures, meteorologists warned yesterday, as authorities renewed an orange alert for severe weather. In Beijing, temperatures were expected to hit a 30-year low of minus 16 degrees Celsius yesterday, the National Meteorological Centre said.

Temperatures in the southeastern provinces of Zhejiang, Fujian and Guangdong may drop below the lowest levels ever recorded, it said. The mercury also dramatically dropped in several parts of Thailand due to a high-pressure system hovering over the northeastern region.

The Meteorological Depart-ment yesterday warned people to beware of a significant temperature plunge.

"Due to the high pressure [system], weather conditions may include thundershowers and strong winds. A sharp cold spell will then follow reducing temperature by between six and 10 degrees Celsius," it said.

In Bangkok and nearby areas, the mercury could fall to between 16 and 18 degrees Celsius today after temperatures plunged yesterday.

In the northern and northeastern regions, minimum temperature may plunge to as low as eight degrees Celsius.
    Thais told to brace for more severe weather - The Nation

Anyone else noticed any colder temperatures ??
    Last edited by davis121; 25th January 2016 at 10:19.

Nothing down here in Patong/Phuket from what I can tell, although Saturday night had a lovely cool breeze - so much so everyone thought it was going to rain, but it was a clear night. Wish that happened more often!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Nothing down here in Patong/Phuket from what I can tell, although Saturday night had a lovely cool breeze - so much so everyone thought it was going to rain, but it was a clear night. Wish that happened more often!
    Yeah we did actually have a bit of rain the last 2 days in Hua Hin which is quite unusual here ….but now the temperature has definitely plummeted!!

The missus Mum has not been off the phone all morning with video calls, sitting up in Khon Kaen with about 3 duvets on!!!

From reports does seem a lot worse up the north and not as bad in central Thailand, so maybe you might escape it in Phuket

Definitively cooler in Bangkok. 17/18 degrees yesterday evening, coolest I have ever felt here. Thais are bundeling up, I'm just happy I sweat a bit less. Was -20 back home when I left on Thursday, so just fiiiiine here.

Yeah I saw on FB it was 10 degrees in nan yesterday.. And 12 here in England..

Messages from a friend in issan and shes speaking like its snowmageddon..

Personally 12 in Chiang mai seems much milder than 12 here in UK.. Probably as ones a peak the others a trough.

Pic of the thermometer on her phone just sent. 9C in Ban Nok Nowhere near Chumpae.

doubt whether we got much over 20C today here on Samui...probably late teens now at sunset...not that we saw the sun today..it was raining most of the day from about 3am with strong cool winds...power went out early morning and has just come back now...huge seas out off the beaches as well and water lapping at the beachside restaurant steps...loads of furniture out in the sea as well

Theres photos of actual (light) snow in Laos.. Many people saying its the first they have seen in their lifetime.

We didnt see the sun today either.......also seeing quite a few tourists and people walking round in jumpers and tracksuits etc down near Market Village felt a bit odd too

Patong had a pretty strong breeze all day today, definitely cooler than usual. Maybe it is affecting us down here a little bit.
    quiksilva likes this.

Suits me, my aircon shit itself and he new unit will take a week to arrive from BKK.