Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By tnlawyer

Thread: The concept of Sakdina.

The concept of Sakdina.

K2
    Meanwhile Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar push into the 21st Century unfettered by such BS that is killing growth. Despite human progress still sadly frightening that this type of BS pervades in Saudi, Thailand etc.
    Its My Life .....!

No caste system in Myanmar ?? I would say this kind of defference is for sure in Cambo.

I was amazed to learn they use the Pi and Nong even amongst each other in high school

My stepson is a big fcuking kid..........he will easily be 6ft(about 5'9" now) and not skinny
    And kids in his new school are just assuming he is older because of his size and all calling him Pi..........which he is not thrilled with

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I was amazed to learn they use the Pi and Nong even amongst each other in high school

My stepson is a big fcuking kid..........he will easily be 6ft(about 5'9" now) and not skinny
    And kids in his new school are just assuming he is older because of his size and all calling him Pi..........which he is not thrilled with
    Theres interesting discussion on how language shapes thought (neuro linguistic programming) that the language you use actually creates pathways and cognitive patterns in the brain.. Then you wonder is language a reflection of thinking or is it the language that shapes the thoughts, vocalizing them in your head.. Detail precise Germans, artistic passionate italians, etc...

Pii Nong is in every interaction.. brothers and sisters.. classmates.. that constant inequality has to have a huge effect.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Theres interesting discussion on how language shapes thought (neuro linguistic programming) that the language you use actually creates pathways and cognitive patterns in the brain.. Then you wonder is language a reflection of thinking or is it the language that shapes the thoughts, vocalizing them in your head.. Detail precise Germans, artistic passionate italians, etc...

Pii Nong is in every interaction.. brothers and sisters.. classmates.. that constant inequality has to have a huge effect.
    Of course it shapes thoughts.
    I mean I literally have to speak different in Boston than I do in even NYC. Forget about Vancouver.

Do you think it depends on the person? Some people's accents seem to change dramatically depending who they are talking to... whereas other people sound the same no matter where they are or who they talk to... I still have a strong Kiwi accent unchanged even though I have lived outside of NZ most of my life now..

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Do you think it depends on the person? Some people's accents seem to change dramatically depending who they are talking to... whereas other people sound the same no matter where they are or who they talk to... I still have a strong Kiwi accent unchanged even though I have lived outside of NZ most of my life now..
    It's not the accent.....it's the manner
    Pleasant doesn't get you far in Boston........you really need to be much more assertive, even brusk in many interactions.

I used to go home to Boston and come back to my gf in Brooklyn and she'd be like "hey, hey.......you aren't in Boston anymore" 555
    My manner of speak would still be very rough

Last year out to dinner..........my nephews were making fun of me because I asked "Could I have water please" in a nice manner at dinner 555
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    It's not the accent.....it's the manner
    Pleasant doesn't get you far in Boston........you really need to be much more assertive, even brusk in many interactions.

I used to go home to Boston and come back to my gf in Brooklyn and she'd be like "hey, hey.......you aren't in Boston anymore" 555
    My manner of speak would still be very rough

Last year out to dinner..........my nephews were making fun of me because I asked "Could I have water please" in a nice manner at dinner 555
    That assertive/brusk talk will get you quickly ignored down here. I remember my first times in NYC and Boston and thinking damn these people are so rude! Down here, even if we're telling you to go to hell, we do it a nice way 555
    Dkdude likes this.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    That assertive/brusk talk will get you quickly ignored down here. I remember my first times in NYC and Boston and thinking damn these people are so rude! Down here, even if we're telling you to go to hell, we do it a nice way 555
    Yup.....totally get that
    Even in Vancouver...... Just my voice causes tension
    I can be nice as hell pointing out say something wrong with out order at a restaurant but they aren't used to my voice type and immediately think I am being sort of confrontational when I'm not

Or it could just be Vancouver is the worst service town in the entire world!! 555

Never been to Sydney Paulie??