Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Yearly road trip and visa run

Yearly road trip and visa run

Guess it's time again to go to see the Mrs family and drop over the Border to Savannakhet, Laos for my yearly non imm O visa.
    This time we are stopping for 2 days south of Chaiya Phum to see a friend and go to a party at the local temple where her son is becoming a monk.
    Not my favorite thing to do, but at least it's 10ish Phayam people that are joining the party.
    Then we are heading up to Roi-Et for a few days to see Joy's family before we go to Laos.

Not the most exiting trip since villages and family is involved, but at least it's not more than 10 days in total. I don't mind driving and hopefully I will avoid to many speeding tickets and police that want bribes. Last year was the first time I traveled up there with no hassle from the police at all.

We may stop in Ayuthaya on the way back, and probably some of the beaches between Hua Hin and Chumpon.

Will make a small report, but probably not until I'm back in Ranong.

Cheers
    junkhouse likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Check.. I heard there was some changes and the no money shown multiple entry visas were not being given.. I believe it was a temporary thing, that they may be again, but I remember reading something about 2 months back.

Thaivisa will give current facts.

I'll bring the bankbook just to make sure.........It's still the easiest place for me as it's not far from Joy's village. I don't want to do the extension thingie in Ranong as I don't want the immigration on my doorstep.

400k in the bank, but I dont think they need any 2 / 3 month seasoning unlike an extension.

Interested if they demand the proof or not, used to be the only consul around that didnt.

BanKrut was a great area that we stopped in last month
    geir and LivinLOS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    400k in the bank, but I dont think they need any 2 / 3 month seasoning unlike an extension.

Interested if they demand the proof or not, used to be the only consul around that didnt.
    It was still no questions for money in the bank. It was as easy as last year and the fee for the visa is still 5000 Baht.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Finally back in Ranong after almost 4000 Km road trip. Issan was as usual for me, boring, but at least we escaped the heavy rain here in the south. First we went to our friends "monk party" in ChayaPhum....it was total madness with live band and sexy dancers doing obscure moves during their show. I could see a few chocked faces on some of our southern friends. I don't think they've seen such things outside of karaoke bars 5555.
    The families there was farmers mostly growing Thai potatoes and sugarcane. As most farming areas it get harder and harder to make a living from the normal/basic crop so some of them have started to grow lime trees. Since the soil isn't the best for lime trees they were growing the trees in cement rings. Last year the trees generated 15000 Baht each, and in Thai traditional style they chose to spend 90k baht of the profit on this party.

Anyway I think lime growing is a brilliant idea for others in Issan instead of just waiting for the rice to grow.
    The day after the party we drove over to RoiEt and Joy's village. Her sister have built a new big house there so this time I actually stayed with the family. Thank good I brought my computer loaded with movies and series to kill the time. Again I think her family is nice people, but I just don't feel comfortable with all the people that comes by to look at and say hello to the white monkey.
    We cut the stay in two by going to Savannakhet Laos for my new one year visa. I start to like Savannakhet and the cheap hotels and beer. We got a 50m2 suite in the center of town for only 850 Baht. A big bottle of Beer Lao is still dirt cheap and way more tasty than Thai beers.
    Otherwise not much happened and I'm glad to be back in Ranong. We didn't stop on the way back as planned as we missed our dogs and the weather didn't really invite to a beach holiday.

So for people in need of visas to stay longer in Thailand Savannakhet is probably the best option. They also still do double entry tourist visas like before so it's always an option. Thai immigration may ask to see your ticket out of the country when you enter for the 2nd entry though.........

Cheers
    Geir
    Last edited by geir; 30th May 2016 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    As most farming areas it get harder and harder to make a living from the normal/basic crop so some of them have started to grow lime trees. Since the soil isn't the best for lime trees they were growing the trees in cement rings. Last year the trees generated 15000 Baht each
    I think they almost always grow limes in concrete rings.. By containing the root ball they create shorter stockier more fruit producing bushes and it allows them to control the water content in the raised bed which again can be manipulated for fruiting.

They also still do double entry tourist visas like before so it's always an option. Thai immigration may ask to see your ticket out of the country when you enter for the 2nd entry though.......
    That is strange.. I was under the impression that no where in the world gave them.. SE or METV only..

That is strange.. I was under the impression that no where in the world gave them.. SE or METV only..
    They even had advertising for it on the wall together with all the other types of visas.

I think they almost always grow limes in concrete rings.. By containing the root ball they create shorter stockier more fruit producing bushes and it allows them to control the water content in the raised bed which again can be manipulated for fruiting.
    Actually makes sense, didn't know you was a farmer 55555
    Money-wise it sounds almost to good to be true. Don't seem to be a lot of work for the money returned.
    I'm tempted to learn more about it and maybe make a little lime farm on our land in RoiEt.

They do the same with Jack fruits

Double entry wow? Wonder if they forgot to take the poster down or Laos residents? (Guess) double entry would be hot news for sure!!
    LivinLOS likes this.

One guy applied for it, but I didn't see him for the pick up the next day.....They charged him 5k tho, and a single one was only 1k

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    They do the same with Jack fruits
    Are you sure, as they turn into massive trees. I got big outdoor furnitures made from Jack fruit trees.

Finally back in Ranong after almost 4000 Km road trip. Issan was as usual for me, boring, but at least we escaped the heavy rain here in the south. First we went to our friends "monk party" in ChayaPhum....it was total madness with live band and sexy dancers doing obscure moves during their show. I could see a few chocked faces on some of our southern friends. I don't think they've seen such things outside of karaoke bars 5555.
    The families there was farmers mostly growing Thai potatoes and sugarcane. As most farming areas it get harder and harder to make a living from the normal/basic crop so some of them have started to grow lime trees. Since the soil isn't the best for lime trees they were growing the trees in cement rings. Last year the trees generated 15000 Baht each, and in Thai traditional style they chose to spend 90k baht of the profit on this party.

Anyway I think lime growing is a brilliant idea for others in Issan instead of just waiting for the rice to grow.
    The day after the party we drove over to RoiEt and Joy's village. Her sister have built a new big house there so this time I actually stayed with the family. Thank good I brought my computer loaded with movies and series to kill the time. Again I think her family is nice people, but I just don't feel comfortable with all the people that comes by to look at and say hello to the white monkey.
    We cut the stay in two by going to Savannakhet Laos for my new one year visa. I start to like Savannakhet and the cheap hotels and beer. We got a 50m2 suite in the center of town for only 850 Baht. A big bottle of Beer Lao is still dirt cheap and way more tasty than Thai beers.
    Otherwise not much happened and I'm glad to be back in Ranong. We didn't stop on the way back as planned as we missed our dogs and the weather didn't really invite to a beach holiday.

So for people in need of visas to stay longer in Thailand Savannakhet is probably the best option. They also still do double entry tourist visas like before so it's always an option. Thai immigration may ask to see your ticket out of the country when you enter for the 2nd entry though.........

Cheers
    Geir
    Her family doesn't have any people your age or younger?
    I guess I am lucky in that we have all her brothers, sister, the brother's gf's and wives.............so there is a bunch of us around drinking

The only thing I can't do is sit around a table all day in the day time........like they do in the village

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Her family doesn't have any people your age or younger?
    I guess I am lucky in that we have all her brothers, sister, the brother's gf's and wives.............so there is a bunch of us around drinking

The only thing I can't do is sit around a table all day in the day time........like they do in the village
    No, mostly kids and older people. Think the young and fit ones work in Bangkok, and her family is rather small. She got visit from some "girls" she went to school with, but listen to them talking about old times isn't very entertaining. At least I had a break from alcohol when I was there (except from the night in Laos).

No, mostly kids and older people. Think the young and fit ones work in Bangkok, and her family is rather small. She got visit from some "girls" she went to school with, but listen to them talking about old times isn't very entertaining. At least I had a break from alcohol when I was there (except from the night in Laos).
    Yeah, we only go to the village(hardly ever now) on holidays and with the family from BKK, so have drinking buddies

I used to take the MB and fcuk off most of the day
    They would all sit around the table out back all day................boring as all hell
    geir likes this.

Are you sure, as they turn into massive trees. I got big outdoor furnitures made from Jack fruit trees.
    Ye farmer had them next door. Watched them planted to harvest. A very long process
    Last edited by Geespot; 31st May 2016 at 12:49.
    geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Ye farmer had them next door. Watched thrm planted to hsrvest. A very long process
    The good thing with lime is that they only need 2 years before they start to carry fruit. (if you buy decent size plants)

I have them in my garden.. But not in concrete rings.

Also growing yellow lemons (grafted) and those are even higher value cash crop. Lemons get strong money here and less competition.
    geir likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast