Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robaht
  • 1 Post By Robaht

Thread: Any update on Bar Closings tonight May 20th?

Any update on Bar Closings tonight May 20th?

As usual, a few different stories. Some bars said open until 12 midnight and reopen Saturday maybe 11pm ish type of thing. I think Little Devils closed last night and expects to be open tonight (not sure until when). Any other news?

the usual inconsistency

all girlie bars in Samui are closed today....its Visakha Bucha Day...the holiest day in the Buddhist Calender...it celebrates the birth, the enlightenment and the entry into Nirvana of the Lord Buddha..I'd be surprised if anywhere allowed girlie bars to open

Having said that all the hotels. restaurants and bars with food (non girlie) are open and serving as usual here

I guess it is May 20th is the holiday today, so I said it wrong in my op since I actually didn't go out last night. I drove around tonight and saw the Tai Pan girls starting the parade...I'd say things are going to open on Bangla around midnight, can't imagine the parade if not...but it did look awfully dry out there except some Thai dudes and their rice whiskey near the beach at Kalim.
    nelsonone likes this.

Well, not that anyone gives a crap since the night is over LOL, but it was an interesting night!

So yes, bars started serving allegedly from about 23:30-ish and then at midnight --- a total blackout!! I was on my motorbike doing the lap around (live in Kalim, park at Kee or soi Freedom, have to follow 1-way all around) and everything was black! And by black I don't mean racist black, ain't nobody got time for that, but just no lights when passing Bangla on Rat-u-tit! I just guessed it was a no-lights, no-music night, since there were so many bars/restos closed on the way in, but hey! the "Red Hot" ex-Margarita bar was pumping tunes! Turn the corner at Hooters, and finally get on Beach Road...whoa!! red flashing lights galore... the electricity company calvary had arrived!!! by the time I parked behind Soi Freedom (30 baht per motorbike, the crooks) and walked to the gents...wow the lights suddenly popped back on! The soi was PACKED!!! okay, i exaggerate a bit, but at first it looked like and sounded like a Halloween cemetery (flickering candles and all), but actually it was pretty full! All the girls were there anyway!

But to be honest, everything was a bit off kilter with the late start! Around 1:30am the lights went out again...I ended up leaving about 45 minutes later, still no lights on Bangla (and no fans circulating air in soi Freedom), but as I drove along power seemed to be on in the Graceland area and further...Many regular bars closed (P.one, Blue Lotus, Black Horse), and then the Moon bar is now called Beer Heaven or something like that as it has re-opened... anyway...lol...the sun should be out tomorrow but rainy season is on the way, a few dark clouds in the sky every day and some light rain starting to fall more and more frequently. Still love it here
    nelsonone likes this.