Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Paintings shops in Patong

Paintings shops in Patong

Yeah, I think the easy way is to just stop and ask prices, but it feels like heading into a tailors shop and what a headache if you are just "looking". Has anybody ever purchased a painting at one of these places? Any idea of prices (yeah, I know sizes and etc. affect prices) that they are asking, or how much you can get them down? I kind of want to buy a big buddha for my apartment to add a bit of color etc. but if it is 20k then I'll buy a poster lol.

Thanks in advance, Robaht

can't speak for Patong but in Samui they will start at about 2K for the smaller/less detailed ones (gold is more)....and the larger detailed more original ones (not just a buddha head etc) will be more like 5-6K

Not that I have ever bought one...but have asked quite a few times as I have wandered by...i even started up a barter here and there with a couple of guys (to give as presents) but they seem to stick to their pricing here

I've had a few conversations with those guys, never bought anything though. A pal asked me to look into bringing some home for him so I had a look round. Nels is about right with prices but they are all individual. I could get decent sized oil paintings in Patong, think A1 size, for 2-3000 baht a couple of years ago. They were always easier to talk to than tailors, more like going to an art gallery.

house3.jpg

Years ago I bought 3 paintings framed in pattaya for about 200 bucks. Didnt have to pay duty at customs since it was art. I bought a fake Gauguin unframed and paid a fortune to get it framed in the USA and the framing was half as attractive as what I could have done in Pattaya. Make sure you buy the frame also!
    Last edited by JimCA2; 19th June 2016 at 04:23.

PS the Tv is an indication of how many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCA2 View Post
    house3.jpg

Years ago I bought 3 paintings framed in pattaya for about 200 bucks. Didnt have to pay duty at customs since it was art. I bought a fake Gauguin unframed and paid a fortune to get it framed in the USA and the framing was half as attractive as what I could have done in Pattaya. Make sure you buy the frame also!
    Thanksgiving football games with the family and relatives must have been quite interesting...but I'm sure you stuck to the line you loved Thailand "for the food". LOL
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Thanksgiving football games with the family and relatives must have been quite interesting...but I'm sure you stuck to the line you loved Thailand "for the food". LOL
    Temples and museums man, temples and museums
    Robaht and kris-one like this.

Thailand has museums? Who knew?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Robaht and Steve@thaib like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    Thailand has museums? Who knew?
    Maybe that guy who goes to the temples?
    kris-one likes this.

I recently bought a couple of large format Buddha type with gold script for apartment decoration at about 3K baht each from the shop at the very northern end of Rat-u-tit Road, where it intersects with Top road. Shop is on the southeast corner of the intersection. Very nice folks, ready to bargain, they even paid for the tuk-tuk to deliver it to my apartment as they were too big to fit in my car. These were very well done and much nicer than most of what I see around, and I REALLY like them both. I would buy from these folks again, and probably will If I can find a little more free wallspace.
    Robaht likes this.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Is that up where it intersects with Nanai.....lots of wood carved furniture etc ?

I found the shops around Phuket/Samui to be sort of crappy

I have found some nice legit galleries in BKK, one in particular on Soi 1 near Bumrangaard Hospital
    A bit more expensive but really nice paintings

Also, I find Vietnam has really small galleries that aren't expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    I recently bought a couple of large format Buddha type with gold script for apartment decoration at about 3K baht each from the shop at the very northern end of Rat-u-tit Road, where it intersects with Top road. Shop is on the southeast corner of the intersection. Very nice folks, ready to bargain, they even paid for the tuk-tuk to deliver it to my apartment as they were too big to fit in my car. These were very well done and much nicer than most of what I see around, and I REALLY like them both. I would buy from these folks again, and probably will If I can find a little more free wallspace.
    I guess I see the North side one since I'm coming from the Beach road side, but that is exactly the area i was thinking in my op. Thanks, I'm gonna get one, either a Buddha or a Trump, still thinking lol

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    I guess I see the North side one since I'm coming from the Beach road side, but that is exactly the area i was thinking in my op. Thanks, I'm gonna get one, either a Buddha or a Trump, still thinking lol
    Save yourself the 3k baht and just print this and frame it! 555

3502731899.jpg
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Just liked it, saw some others there we liked just as much as well… Got to have the Buddha in your crib...

DSC_3498_01.jpg
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

What size is that Easycpl.
    In the market for a few...

About 42"x54" IIRC, I'm back in the States right now so can't measure it. They had a variety of nice stuff in a variety of formats from about 15"x15" up to quite wall-fillingly huge.

Is it North of Sainamyen Rd where you got this?

It's at the Southeast corner of Phrabarami road (4029 or Top road as I call it that runs over to Kailim or Kathu) and Ratuthit Rd, one major intersection east of the Beach Rd traffic circle. Think of it as the very, very top of Rathutit, on the right hand side of the street if you're on Ratuthit looking "up" or North.

Oriental Art Gallery at Surin Beach has really good oil paintings and will negotiate on price.
    Great guy and very talented - we have brought two large paintings off him and are admired by all who visit us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast