Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 2016 Trip

2016 Trip

After doing a bit of looking around to alternative trips but ultimately running out of time I went with tried and trusted, so tomorrow I'm off to Bangkok for 3 nights to meet up with tg from the last two trips. Staying in the Swiss cottage in Silom to get away from the Suk madness. TG is easy going, no mention of anything long term, she seems happy enough to get a weekend away and get some food and drinks in. Plans are to visit the Cloud 47 rooftop bar which is right beside the hotel and offers great views of Bangkok in a more casual setting then a lot of the other rooftop bars. Maybe visit Chatuchak market and a temple or two.

After that it's Patt's for ten nights at Tim's. No plan as usual other than to check out a few new bars and gogo's and let it ride, watch a few football matches and relax. Looking forward to a nice relaxing break.

Booked business with Etihad again, hopefully none of the drama of the flight home last year. As ever I'll endeavour to report in.
    geir and NeedHoliday like this.

My friend over there works on those bars on 2nd road. A little complex near soi 10. Sent me pic the other night was totally dead. You might have a good pic of the birds there if that's a trend all over patts.

Yes
    Have a good trip DP

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    My friend over there works on those bars on 2nd road. A little complex near soi 10. Sent me pic the other night was totally dead. You might have a good pic of the birds there if that's a trend all over patts.
    The bars seem quiet if pa is anything to go by but the chinese tour groups seem out in force and the russians are making a comeback. Check in with Etihad was the busiest I have ever seen in Dublin and the lounge is pretty packed too. A pretty foggy morning in Dublin may delay air traffic but the flight is on time so far. The great thing about going business is that delays are not a hassle, just more time to enjoy the nice food, drink and service.

Business class, LOS and football? tried and trusted sounds perfect. enjoy.
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    Business class, LOS and football? tried and trusted sounds perfect. enjoy.
    Loads of birds, loads of football and loads of beer. It does sound awesome.

Two enjoyable flights that were very full later and I have arrived in the swisslodge and its a nice place. Great location very close to Sala Daeng bts and a couple of irish bars that will be showing the football later. Tg should be here around 8 so we will get some food and beer and try out the bed. The room is just above average, not big but has everything I need and the bathroom is nice with a very good shower. I would rate it as three star plus and they put me on the top floor which is great as its quiet and there are some rennovations going on.

Bangkok traffic was the worst I ever seen as it was 9am and the motorway was backed up for two hours so the driver went an alternative route doing his best to break the world record for most pointless lane changes. You would think the chauffeur guys would be a bit more reserved driving considering they are driving a fairly high spec mercedes. Anyway alls well that ends well. Football isn't on till late so probably wont see it. Had a walk around Silom andits a lot less intense then Sukhumvit, lots of vendors but they seem aimed at the Thais working in the business district. It will be interesting to see the change when it gets dark and the gogos get going.

Needless to say tg is late as its raining so I pulled into Flann o'briens irish bar right under sala daeng bts, i usually avoid irish bars when abroad but this is quite a good spot. Nice covered outdoor area with a view of the silom traffic craziness and the preperation of the night market. Nice food if a bit pricy and a decent happy hour which has just ended. The Bangkok beatles are playing tonight and the pub is preety full inside, lots of nice looking and friendly staff too.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Needless to say tg is late as its raining so I pulled into Flann o'briens irish bar right under sala daeng bts, i usually avoid irish bars when abroad but this is quite a good spot. Nice covered outdoor area with a view of the silom traffic craziness and the preperation of the night market. Nice food if a bit pricy and a decent happy hour which has just ended. The Bangkok beatles are playing tonight and the pub is preety full inside, lots of nice looking and friendly staff too.
    Bangkok Beatles play there every week. They are really good!!!

Some diamonds in the rough in Patpong ago gos both Pong 1 & Pong 2. Dont be put off going to some of the older Thai ago gos some great fun to be had in them and of course just ignore the touts who are pretty aggressive. Patpong 2 The Strip takes the prizes

Yes the beatles were pretty good, big crowd on for them so ended up staying there for the night. The weather looks ok so its looking like a trip to Chatuchak market is on the cards.

Nine years after my last trip to Chatuchat and it still amazes me with its size and sheer content. Picked up a few bits and pieces, tg saw a few things shed liked but wanted to come back with her sister to buy them for some reason. Went to Cloud 47 rooftop bar last night which is in the United Centre on Silom road and it was very impressive. Great views, nice menu but only a couple of beers to choose from they being chang and hoegarden. Had an only in Thailand moment when after 3 bottles of chang the waiter told me they have a promotion if u buy three bottles you get one free. So I was expecting a free one but apparantly it only counts if you choose the offer at the start which meant ordering another three bottles to get a free one.

Tg wanted her san miguel so went to Flannns to watch the Wales game, not as busy as Friday but an enjoyable match. Tg has to head home tthis afternoon so I will have my last night in Bangkok to myself before heading to patts tomorrow.

Tg headed off to get her minibus at Mo chit so I got off at Siam for a wander around mbk and Paragon. I gave her 4000 baht even though she never mentioned money, she was nice company for a couple of days. Silom seems much better suited to bring a tg rather than to find one. A much more relaxed vibe then the suk. I might have a look around Patpong tonight just out of curiousity but my plan is to take it easy as I have to head to Patts tomorrow. The Silom shopping complex is a nice smaller alternative to the mbk, I got my passport id card made their for 14 baht, good food selection with the usual mix of shops right beside sala daeng bts.
    WarProfiteer likes this.

Tg headed off to get her minibus at Mo chit so I got off at Siam for a wander around mbk and Paragon. I gave her 4000 baht even though she never mentioned money, she was nice company for a couple of days. Silom seems much better suited to bring a tg rather than to find one. A much more relaxed vibe then the suk. I might have a look around Patpong tonight just out of curiousity but my plan is to take it easy as I have to head to Patts tomorrow. The Silom shopping complex is a nice smaller alternative to the mbk, I got my passport id card made their for 14 baht, good food selection with the usual mix of shops right beside sala daeng bts.
    When I was living in Bangkok I was nearer to the Chong Nonsi bts, but Silom Complex was the usual place to go for shopping, haircuts, Apple store, and Wine Connection. It's nice since it has been remodeled and smaller than the other major malls so a bit easier to hit several places in a quick visit. I've never seen the Bangkok Beattles, I'll have to check that out, good tip. Cheers!

Bangkok beatles play friday nights and by far the biggest crowd in flanns all weekend. Not too many about tonight I get the impression Silom is busier during the week then at the weekend. Got talking to a gorgeous turkish lady and her bf durint the Turkey game, obvious it was their first time in Bangkok so gave them a few pointers to help them on their way. Some polish supporters arrived and they weren't my cup of tea so I headed to Mollys beside the hotel for a couple of sangsoms. Pretty quiet but nice staff in both bars and they have nice napkins that dont dissolve on contact! Ireland playing tomorrow night so should be fun in patts. Overall enjoyed my stay in Silom, a nice alternative to the suk,better if u have a tilac in tow. Checkout tomorrow and looking forward to seeing what patts has in store for the next ten nights.

Bangkok beatles play friday nights and by far the biggest crowd in flanns all weekend. Not too many about tonight I get the impression Silom is busier during the week then at the weekend. Got talking to a gorgeous turkish lady and her bf durint the Turkey game, obvious it was their first time in Bangkok so gave them a few pointers to help them on their way. Some polish supporters arrived and they weren't my cup of tea so I headed to Mollys beside the hotel for a couple of sangsoms. Pretty quiet but nice staff in both bars and they have nice napkins that dont dissolve on contact! Ireland playing tomorrow night so should be fun in patts. Overall enjoyed my stay in Silom, a nice alternative to the suk,better if u have a tilac in tow. Checkout tomorrow and looking forward to seeing what patts has in store for the next ten nights.
    I don't really like going to lower Suk except for some spots on Soi 11
    And much prefer not staying in a hotel there.

But, believe it or not.....it's my wife that likes to

I went to the Silom complex this morning to pick up a few things and noticed that they have a shop dedicated to selling ukulleles! Never really noticed too many band using them but they had quite a lot 555. So patts is quiet judging from my afternoon walk, nice crowd in the pbg and a lot of chinese tour groups on walking street around 7pm before the action starts up. One of the tour had a stop at the ronald mc donald statue doing a wai for that all important selfie. It will be interesting to see how busy the bars are tonight. Ireland play in 90 minutes so I am going for a beer before in LK, maybe in lady love or crystal club. A few new bars and gogos as well as the usual suspects. Hooters is bloody huge and was empty earlier.

Color me jaded, but putting Hooters in Pattaya is like adding a Hyundai wing to your Astin Martin dealership.
    dontpanic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Color me jaded, but putting Hooters in Pattaya is like adding a Hyundai wing to your Astin Martin dealership.
    Same was said of Hooters on Soi 4 and the place must pull in 1mil/night based on the 2 times I saw it
    Absolutely jammed packed and quite nice to have a drink in
    I wouldn't eat there........prices were so expensive for bar food.............but I was shocked how many people didn't seem to care and were all ordering food

Lk was busier than I expected, pretty decent crowd coming and going but a lot of covered up dancers but that eventually changed. Pretty friendly service staff, I got a beer that was a block of ice and they changed it without me asking. Plenty in the metro bar for the match which was good fun. Decided on Ninja agogo just out of curiousity and it was nothing special but got a friendly girl called mai for a couple of drinks. One falang jumped up on stage and danced around like a jack in a box, this pissed off one of the dancers so much she gave him both fingers and stormed off the stage, the idiot eventually got down so the dancer got back up and continued to give him the bird. Young guy too, didnt seem drunk either. Ninja closed at 3am so I went to the chick n coup bar to watch the end of the Belgium Italy game. The entire complex was dead, even chick n coup only had one other customer although it was 4am.

So a good start to the trip, am off to the soi buakhao market to stock up on tshirts.

Not interested in overnight guests?

I just got back from Phnom Penh. It was a decent but quick trip. Only 4 days. Just long enough to get my visa and come back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast