Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Car Price help

Car Price help

I looked around but figured some of you guys would know best

Ao is buying a car in Bangkok soon, well in the next couple of months.

She wants a smaller car like Yaris or Suzuki Swift

Is 400k for 2014 models of those type of cars with somewhat low km's a decent price?

Seems expensive to me but I don't have a clue

Thanks

Also, any suggestions where to look, maybe give her other places to look

Highlight Yaris - Toyota Motor Thailand

I dunno' for sure Paul, but new ones (Yaris) are pushing around the 600,000 baht mark?

And these cars are known to hold their value quite well.

So Paul, you are saying she is going back to Thailand, not wanting to live with you in Canada. Thinking she is knowing enough to make good money with her family.
    Let her decide what she wants to buy and at what price. Best way for her to learn if she can manage alone. If it doesn't work out with het independent business... Lesson learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So Paul, you are saying she is going back to Thailand, not wanting to live with you in Canada. Thinking she is knowing enough to make good money with her family.
    Let her decide what she wants to buy and at what price. Best way for her to learn if she can manage alone. If it doesn't work out with het independent business... Lesson learned the hard way.
    We been together for 14years..........we are trying to work things out but even if we weren't I would still help her out when asked about these things.

She seems to know what she is doing and where to look, but always good to ask around to see if better options, IMO

I think the swift is maybe up to 100k high.. 3xx depending on condition for a 2014.. GLA GLX etc all different and at only 2 years people still want to get the money on trim levels back. Yaris and toyota in general keeps a premium, 400 would seem ok for the market depending on model.

Ford has terrible used values.. Ford fiesta in the used market either the 1.5 or the newer ecoboost models would be around there (maybe even 2xx on an older 1.5) and its a more mid size hatch than either the yaris or swift. Bit better imo.

Taladrod will give realistic values but unlike the west, where cars sell based on model, then miles and condition, with a fairly small band of easily understood variation for most of the market.. You have really just dreamers, asking prices multi hundred k or at least 10s of k, over the market rate.. Leading to a much wider distribution of asking price. One good thing with taladrod is for any model, and year, you can see the pricing bands people are asking. Annoyance being people seem unable, even on a Thai website, to put the correct model or year on the cars details.. Often see them listed wrong and not only listing a model as newer but vice versa also. I guess enough people struggle to read and write ??

Toyota sure, which is like an in house used dealer, has mostly decent cars at mostly upper book, this can give you a baseline. Private should be a decent amount under and I would advise against the normal bangkok tent dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think the swift is maybe up to 100k high.. 3xx depending on condition for a 2014.. GLA GLX etc all different and at only 2 years people still want to get the money on trim levels back. Yaris and toyota in general keeps a premium, 400 would seem ok for the market depending on model.

Ford has terrible used values.. Ford fiesta in the used market either the 1.5 or the newer ecoboost models would be around there (maybe even 2xx on an older 1.5) and its a more mid size hatch than either the yaris or swift. Bit better imo.

Taladrod will give realistic values but unlike the west, where cars sell based on model, then miles and condition, with a fairly small band of easily understood variation for most of the market.. You have really just dreamers, asking prices multi hundred k or at least 10s of k, over the market rate.. Leading to a much wider distribution of asking price. One good thing with taladrod is for any model, and year, you can see the pricing bands people are asking. Annoyance being people seem unable, even on a Thai website, to put the correct model or year on the cars details.. Often see them listed wrong and not only listing a model as newer but vice versa also. I guess enough people struggle to read and write ??

Toyota sure, which is like an in house used dealer, has mostly decent cars at mostly upper book, this can give you a baseline. Private should be a decent amount under and I would advise against the normal bangkok tent dealers.
    So are you saying Ford Fiesta is good? I like them the best.

And what Taladrod?

I think the ford is a good car, but a bad purchase new from a depreciation standpoint.. Which makes it a good used buy.

The difficult thing is buying a good clean car used in Thailand.. For something that costs them so much, so many are kind of terribly kept.

͢öҹ ǡ.١.ա

If you use google chrome, which can help translate.. And use the 'price check' thing it has, you can see the kind of values asked.. REALLY beware of the dealers, so much so I would say as a woman who probably doesnt know cars just avoid. Look for private sellers, shifting a used car, as everyone needs credit, isnt easy for Thais. Another thing which leads to fairly wide price bands.

I just bought a car in the west yesterday, collecting in a couple of hours. I always tend to over research and get well informed on models I like, but it became obvious after a few days calling and looking at adverts.. Rough high milers this price, middle clean but used cars this price, mint low milers with good service records that price. If you need to really shift the car fast, in a week or so, simply drop 25k baht from the price (in gbp of course) and it will be gone. When you want to buy you can look up the cars annual MOT (road safety test) and see its history of use and annual miles, which makes clocking them very difficult. Paying the road tax is a few button clicks online, buying insurance is the same with comparison websites, doing the actual ownership transfer is another very simple process, done without any government hassle. Once you find the car the rest is a few minutes of work online without anyone saying no.. The same thing in Thailand involves physical trips everywhere, for safety tests that no one actual worrys about, 10s of people employed to paper chase and inspect, points of the sale which could fail, cars with fudged numbers due to illegal imports to avoid the eye watering taxes and ringing old documents from other cars.. Its all so stressful, fraught with things that can go wrong, and takes you many days of messing about, queuing up, people in power who can simply say 'this isnt right go away' to buy a car thats so much more expensive. Just highlighted to me why Thai GDP is held back by corruption and officials with no oversight, running systems designed by Kafka.
    soupdragon likes this.

Her brother will be there checking out all the cars
    LivinLOS likes this.

OK good..

I have found that facebook second hand groups seem to have motivated sellers are good prices.. At least thats how the chiang Mai ones are.. It IS a fair amount of work finding a good one, but then I tend to be both mean, and with high expectations.. So a combo that needs a lot to satisfy.

The % of cars in Thailand that have been smashed multiple times? My guess is its high

I echo what Sef has described

If possible buy new you will at least walk away with peace of mind usually 1st year insurance included and if you shop about some extras thrown in

2nd hand full inspection and history check. The fkin carryon with insurance 5555 they come out and photo the car and log all the serial nos etc

Transferring ownership fuuuuck get dealer to do even worse if different provinces

New new new I say lol