Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By slimbag

Thread: Plan to track all foreigners – not just tourists – by sim cards moves forward

Plan to track all foreigners – not just tourists – by sim cards moves forward

Plan to Track All Foreigners - Not Just Tourists - By SIM Cards Moves Forward

A plan to require all foreigners in Thailand to use a special SIM card that can track their location will be reviewed by authorities Tuesday afternoon.

Announced last week by the national telecom regulator, the plan would require anyone – not just tourists but everyone who doesn’t hold a Thai passport – to use the new SIM card which would enable the authorities to track its owner’s location at any time, said the Secretary General of the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

No exceptions would be made for resident aliens on long-term visas such as those for employment, marriage or retirement.

“We will separate SIM cards for foreigners and Thais,” Takorn Tantasith said Monday. “The location will always be turned on in this SIM card for foreigners. And it cannot be turned off.”
    I would actually like to hear how they think the mechanics of that will work.. Not only the sale and control of restricting them, but the control of the cell phone, the data, etc.. It would require closed phone ecosystems which Thailand clearly cannot implement or enforce.

I would just get a phone in my Mrs name.....problem solved.
    I always like to lay low anyway, the immigration don't know about my house in Ranong or our place in Roiet. At least I have two places I can feel "safe" from the bullshit. They can come to check at the guesthouse, but even there we have 4 different addresses (house books).
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

At least they might notice that the tourists don't just come for the temples and beaches 5555
    soupdragon and dontpanic like this.

Or that Western tourists just skip Thaicland

do not buy a sim card and use other ways of contact,facebook etc,with a vpn

"Takorn said he was unconcerned about any rights or privacy issues raised by the system, as he likened it to address foreigners writing in the address of their residences in immigration documents."

TAT should use 'Unconcerned about any rights or privacy' as their next tourism campaign slogan.

It will solve every serious crime in the country as it's always a foreigner anyway, and think of the income that could be made from the data that would provide.

Its another wild idea, that they fail to even appreciate the privacy or security implications, that they are unable to really go through with.

Any sim card can be tracked (hopefully after a court order) to its cell tower triangulation anyway.. Any better than that (GPS level tracking, ongoing data uploads of this information) requires the phone software to be involved. The people proposing this dont seem to have even a basic grasp of the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Its another wild idea, that they fail to even appreciate the privacy or security implications, that they are unable to really go through with.

Any sim card can be tracked (hopefully after a court order) to its cell tower triangulation anyway.. Any better than that (GPS level tracking, ongoing data uploads of this information) requires the phone software to be involved. The people proposing this dont seem to have even a basic grasp of the technology.
    So we can safely say that this is just another clueless official having his moment in front of the press. Getting boring reading the hype.

Read the updates.

^^ Tells you both the mindset and critical abilities of the leadership of so many depts and offices doesnt it..