Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Bar Charter

Bar Charter

During my last trip to Patts I tried a few different gogo bars where it just wasn’t happening or the staff did something to annoy me that would result in me leaving after one drink. Some people might say stay but given the choice on offer it seems crazy that gogo’s and bars aren’t doing everything they can to keep customers in the door once they come in. I have sat in gogo bars on too many occasions feeling annoyed and frustrated and I’m not the only one. The thing is I, nor anyone else should ever think like this when surrounded by available, good looking women and cheap (maybe) beer.

I played around with a few ideas and came up with the idea of a charter that bar owners could subscribe to as a statement of intent and principle. If you are signed up to it then potential customers know what they’re letting themselves in for. Of course it’s not legally binding rather a gentleman’s agreement.

Gogo/Beer Bar Charter

Our goal is to ensure the customer has a good time – This is crucial, if the customer is having a good time then it follows that he’s going to buy more drinks, possibly buy ladydrinks, tip well and possibly barfine but I think most important he will come back and tell his friends. Maybe you’ll have a great time, but most will settle for a good time.

We will charge a fair price for customer drinks – Again crucial, part of the attraction of Thailand is the price of things, when things start to get as expensive as home, then you start to question why you’ve spent a lot of money to spend 24 hours travelling squashed into a seat eating crap food. Recently I was charged 160 baht for a Singha in a gogo, this is 4 euro which is about what I pay at home. If this was an imported beer then maybe yeh ok but Singha – no way, this is a rip off – The customer will immediately think that’s the last 160 baht you’ll get out of me, another thought that came into my head was if my drink costs that much, then how much are the ladydrinks which brings me onto my next point.

We will display our prices prominently – Either on big posters, laminated menus on every table or you are handed a menu by waiting staff when you first come in. If you charge different prices for different ladydrinks then make this obvious.

We won’t ever water down customer drinks ever – This is another false economy move, a bottle of Sangsom costs 300 baht in 7/11. There’s about 25 shots in it so that’s about 12 baht plus a little mixer. If you think you are saving money by watering this down then you deserve to go out of business. It’s obvious when it’s watered down, we will know and we won’t like it.

We will charge a fair price for ladydrinks – Is 200 baht reasonable? Most places are about 150 which I think is fair – lady gets 50, the drink is watered down and it’s in a small glass so you make even more money than you do on the customer drink.

If you buy a ladydrink, the lady is exempt from dancing for at least one dancing rotation – Some bars do 4 songs, some do 5, some rotate in terms of time. The point here is that if you buy a drink for a lady she doesn’t immediately pull the “me go dancing” excuse and disappear for 20 minutes.

If you buy a ladydrink, the lady will spend a reasonable amount of time with you – Similar to above, maybe a dancing rotation of 4-5 songs is reasonable but we’ve all been there where a tg gets a shot, lowers it and is gone or asking for another one ten seconds later. This is more a principle rather than prescribing a set amount of time.

Staff will never ever order drinks – Customer orders drinks, end of discussion.

No tag teaming EVER – If the customer wants to buy a drink for more than one lady then we are perfectly capable of doing so, same for service staff and mamasans. I’m sure lots of people reading this have bought drinks for service staff etc, we will do this if we are having a good time! Mamasans have no business getting lady drinks, if they do they should be regular prices. Your staff are being lazy hovering around a drink buyer hoping for a scrap from the table rather than working their own drinks. You buy drink my friend shall never pass their lips.

No barfine encouraging from other staff – Service staff, other dancers or mamasans never will try to egg you on to barfine, respect the customer’s ability to make up their own mind. It’s ridiculously annoying to have service staff interrupt you and your lady to make boom-boom motions with their fingers, flash lights at the barfine menu etc. Never question the customer as to why he’s not barfining. Maybe he will, just not yet.

Dancers will dance – Sort of obvious but the Isaan shuffle has got to go, train your staff, encourage them, don’t have the stage so packed with dancers that they can hardly move. Enthusiastic dancers are usually a good sign to customers plus the ladies will get tips.

Music will be played at a reasonable level – Seriously, who goes to a gogo to listen to hardcore techno thumping away? Turn it down, turn the bass down, it’s hard enough for two people who don’t speak the same language to communicate and the music doesn’t help – Also try not play the same set every night. Look at your customer profile and ask yourself do these guys in their 50’s and 60’s really want to listen to techno? Maybe you should play some rock n roll?

We will use beermats/coasters – A little thing but with the constant condensation on glasses it can make for messy drinking.

We will use service bells – Again a small thing but when bars are busy you don’t want to lose a customer because he can’t get a drink.

All staff will wear numbers or name badges– Sort of obvious but I’m noticing it seemed a lot less during my last trip.

We will show some customer appreciation – Maybe a free drink for someone who has ran up a couple of thousand baht, one shot maybe?

If you don’t want to buy a ladydrink, she will smile and walk away - It’s nothing personal, just move onto the next one, don’t get into a huff.

We will teach our staff more English than the standard questions – If you’re in Thailand for more than a week then it doesn’t take long before the “how long you holiday Thailand?” etc starts to grind.

Our staff will not lie about how long they’ve worked in the gogo/bar - They can’t all be here for just four months, can they?

Staff won’t lie about boyfriends – If they’ve a boyfriend or they’re being sponsored that’s fine, most of us won’t care so long as we can have some fun with them. We all know we’re just the next one in the queue and will respect you more for telling the truth.

Customers don’t have to smile but staff do – It is really annoying when dancers shout at a customer beckoning them to smile, they don’t have to, staff are the ones paid to smile not customers. If you want them to smile then do something to make them smile!

Staff problems aren’t your problems – If you can’t pay your rent, go shopping or buy an iphone then none of this is the customer’s problem. Trying to get customers to feel sorry for staff is breaking the golden rule. The customer is on holiday, he won’t bore you with his bills!

We will keep one running total receipt in your bin – This is the easiest way of keeping track how much your bill is, if you’re half-drunk how are you expected go through a dozen slips in your bin and add them up in your head?

We will show some skin – This means one item of clothing on top and one on bottom MAXIMUM – I was in some gogo’s where they dancers were wearing more than most customers. Customers like seeing some T+A, double bra and vest tops have no business in gogo bars. If you’re shy go get a job where you can cover up.

A lot of this is unlikely I know but it may provoke some discussion other than Hilary or Donald!

Recipe for success, but I know the truth is in your last line.

Regarding prices.
    The rents are astronomical...... honestly if they don't charge those prices they won't be there the next time.

Ya got to keep the lights on.....

PS.....maybe you didn't have that much fun because you were taking too many notes 555
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I've been in some where they're better off.

DP, when you're drinking your 4euro beer at home are you watching 10-15 nekked hot chicks?

200b lady drink, 2000b BF in some WS gogos, 180b for a coke in whats'up, prices are getting ridiculous but the patrons seem happy enough to pay

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Regarding prices.
    The rents are astronomical...... honestly if they don't charge those prices they won't be there the next time.

PS.....maybe you didn't have that much fun because you were taking too many notes 555
    My mind does tend to wander when I am bored and/or not enjoying myself which should never be the case in a gogo bar. What's strange is that I can walk into some gogo's and have a great time without a whole lot of effort which seems to imply that there are very clear decisions being made by owners/management as to how to run their establishments which is fair enough but the other side of that is you've got to accept the consequences of these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    I've been in some where they're better off.

DP, when you're drinking your 4euro beer at home are you watching 10-15 nekked hot chicks?
    No certainly not but then again the daily wage in Thailand doesn't even match the hourly minimum wage in Ireland so that 4 Euro should go a lot further in Thailand. If it were a like for like comparison using the daily minimum wages that same 160 Baht beer should cost half the Irish minimum wage which would be around 30 Euro. I fully accept that rents are high but other gogo's run promotions etc to get customers in the door like Babydolls has nights where it's buy one get one free. The gogo where I got charged 160 Baht for a bottle of Singha had so many girls on stage it was impossible for them to move, they certainly weren't all nekkid or hot, not by a long shot. For me it's about weighing things up, I've paid the 200 Baht for Ladydrinks in Amythest last year but had a great time, they had shows and I got a few free drinks. Give a little, get a little, it's the falang gouging one way traffic that I object to.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbag View Post
    200b lady drink, 2000b BF in some WS gogos, 180b for a coke in whats'up, prices are getting ridiculous but the patrons seem happy enough to pay
    This is exactly what I'm getting at, that same coke costs 10 Baht in 7/11 where they have rent and staff costs too. Here's a suggestion, reduce the amount of staff, there are gogo's where they could half the amount of service staff and still manage quite easily. If costs are such a concern then payroll is one of the first places you should be looking to reduce.