Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 10 year visas ??

  1. #1
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153

    10 year visas ??

    Gov?t Approves 10-Year Visas for Foreigners Over 50

    Affluent foreign residents over 50 will soon be able to apply for 10-year visas, a government spokesman said Tuesday.

    Intended to promote Thailand as a hub for medical services, the policy was approved by the interim cabinet on Tuesday, according to spokesman Athisit Chainuwat.

    It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented.

    Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

    Visa holders will still have to check in every 90 days with the Bureau of Immigration, Athisit said.

    Applicants for the visa are expected to be foreigners who live in provinces such as Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Chonburi, the spokesman added.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Lots of vagueness in that.. But on the surface looks like great news.

    I suspect its a pre approved 10 years extension, in 2x 5 year chunks.. All for the ability to show 100k a month !! Its unclear on lots of levels.

    Also unclear if this is to 'replace' as it says the current retirement or more like 'replace for those who choose to use it' to get the 10 years.

    Already the howls and moans from cheap charlies on ThaiVisa is filling pages.. Dear god, is 100k so high a bar to get a 10 year residence situation ?? I think if this is factual its a god send.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    457
    Salary??? as in being employed?

  5. #5
    Senior Member 2girls1cup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirgezza View Post
    Salary??? as in being employed?

    Certified income shirly?
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1cup View Post
    Certified income shirly?
    Guess this would be the correct term

  7. #7
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Yeah verified / proven income..

  8. #8
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,044
    One can only hope that this comes to fruition
    LivinLOS likes this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Petter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    309
    Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa.
    a monthly salary of at least 100,000 bath should be manageable by most ? but then you dont need any bath in any bank account ? only transfer 100,000 bath a mont (or be able to do it)via a thai bank account for personal use ??
    Last edited by Petter; 22nd November 2016 at 22:11.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

  10. #10
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    The verified incomes can be patchy.. Currently they let you self declare from a lot of embassys.. Even if it needed to be backed up more, what levels they would need to see to be sure, income comes in many forms, how stable etc.

    Just sending it in, from your own account.. That seems unlikely.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,267
    When applying for an ordinary retirement visa in Denmark, the amount is after tax and it has to be documented, like in form of a tax report. If this is after tax too, I think only a few retired people on a pension will meet the requirement.

    I am not sure what they mean by this:
    ... bank deposit of at least 3 million baht, to be maintained for at least one year after receiving the visa.
    Does that mean it has to be a special, locked savings account? Or that you simply has to always have at least the equivalent to 3 million baht in the account?

    Also, there is no information regarding multi entry. Will it work like a multi entry visa, or will you have to apply for re-entry if you leave Thailand? If the latter, it will only be for people living in Thailand, and not the half/half people like me.

  12. #12
    Member arliss michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    74
    If they are going to give you 10 or 5x5 why the need to report every 90 days. If you meet the $$$ requirements why the need 4 times a year, seems like a serious trust issue. Almost more regular than reporting to a parole officer 😕

  13. #13
    Senior Member MrDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,575
    I have an OT question about 90-day reporting.
    What if you leave the country for more than 90 days, or are simply out of the country on that day?

  14. #14
    Senior Member 2girls1cup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The verified incomes can be patchy.. Currently they let you self declare from a lot of embassys.. Even if it needed to be backed up more, what levels they would need to see to be sure, income comes in many forms, how stable etc.

    Just sending it in, from your own account.. That seems unlikely.

    There is the option to just put $90,000 in a Thai bank account for a year? No income verification needed.
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

  15. #15
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by arliss michaels View Post
    If they are going to give you 10 or 5x5 why the need to report every 90 days. If you meet the $$$ requirements why the need 4 times a year, seems like a serious trust issue. Almost more regular than reporting to a parole officer ��
    90 day reporting is a reality for every longer stay class..

    Thing is you can do it postal, send an agent, or even do it online.. So its not 'that' much of an issue.. It is kind of redundant to keep doing it.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 23rd November 2016 at 10:10.
    arliss michaels likes this.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    I have an OT question about 90-day reporting.
    What if you leave the country for more than 90 days, or are simply out of the country on that day?
    its 90 days from arrival into the country.. and 90 day cycles after that. So the 90 days is based on / from the start of your permission of stay, not your visa..

    So if you have left the country, it wouldn't be needed and the clock starts next arrival the generation of your next permission of stay and is done 90 days after.
    MrDK likes this.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1cup View Post
    There is the option to just put $90,000 in a Thai bank account for a year? No income verification needed.
    It seems that way.. 3 mil in the bank (1 year lockup) OR 100k a month verified.

    People have noted on the Thai language statements it says 3 mil on 1 year lockup, and then only 50% could be taken out of Thailand afterwards.. But right now this is all just wild guesses on a vague statement which even ends "we dont know when this system might start"...

    Is it a visa ?? Is it a local extension ?? Is the 2x 5 years guaranteed at the start (meaning the second 5 a simple formality) or are your assets and incomes checked a second time at the 5 year mark.. And of course the big one.. Does this replace the current system or merely an additional option. I bet the latter, but the ThaiVisa crowd are howling about the word 'replace' in the news item.

  18. #18
    Senior Member 2girls1cup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    675
    (its a visa)

    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    It seems that way.. 3 mil in the bank (1 year lockup) OR 100k a month verified.

    People have noted on the Thai language statements it says 3 mil on 1 year lockup, and then only 50% could be taken out of Thailand afterwards.. But right now this is all just wild guesses on a vague statement which even ends "we dont know when this system might start"...

    Is it a visa ?? Is it a local extension ?? Is the 2x 5 years guaranteed at the start (meaning the second 5 a simple formality) or are your assets and incomes checked a second time at the 5 year mark.. And of course the big one.. Does this replace the current system or merely an additional option. I bet the latter, but the ThaiVisa crowd are howling about the word 'replace' in the news item.
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

  19. #19
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1cup View Post
    (its a visa)
    We dont know that yet..

  20. #20
    Senior Member MrDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    its 90 days from arrival into the country.. and 90 day cycles after that. So the 90 days is based on / from the start of your permission of stay, not your visa..

    So if you have left the country, it wouldn't be needed and the clock starts next arrival the generation of your next permission of stay and is done 90 days after.
    Bangkok Post (10-year visa for senior tourists | Bangkok Post: business) indicated that the 10 year visa cost would be 10,000 baht which in the US is about $285. Single entry tourist visas is $40, double used to be $80 and ME visa for 6 months is $140.
    For those spend a fair bit of time in LOS and may need two tourist visas a year this could be a huge saving and if they stay in-country less than 90 days at a time you will never have to go to reporting in, say, Jomtien you just use it as it was as many single entry visas as you need for two years.
    If you can document income or can afford to have 3,000,000 locked away for a year the savings could be significant.
    When I apply for a single entry visa it actually cost me more than $40 as express mail is $10 each way to and from the embassy; slower registered mail is more than $5, so conservatively going with that $50 per visa with an annual total of $100 or for 10 years $1,000.
    This does not include all the full pages each visa takes in the passport so you may have to renew every five years instead of every 10 at possibly $200 each ... now we are at $1,200 savings.
    Hereto comes the hassles of applying, getting pictures, photo copies, etc.
    A one time application for 10 years and do "something" after 5 years could mean a $1,000 saving over 10 years and even if you stay between 61 and 90 days as you need not apply for extensions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •