Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Phuket 1953 video

Phuket 1953 video

ub2yoo and Petter like this.

Would like to see a lot more of that, loved the clothing, looked the same as 50's clothing from the UK, well so my Dad told me!!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Good waves at Surin, probably still the best decent sized beach in Phuket. Loved the music............
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

music is interesting isn't it..kind of a Thai take on an hawaiian theme

loved the shots of old Phuket Town...it has its grand moments in a couple of sections...great to see the buildings here without today's clutter in front

For some reason, it almost didnt seem like Phuket... must've been the lack of touts, beach chair rental places, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post

loved the shots of old Phuket Town...it has its grand moments in a couple of sections...great to see the buildings here without today's clutter in front
    Got the same idea. Seemed like hawaiian music.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    It's lovely, but for some reason it makes me depressed looking back in time ... what has happened to all those beautiful and fantastic places in only 50+ years time!!
    still tons out there in Thailand and many other countries
    but the thing is, we wish they were like they were 50years ago but we don't go to the places because of no services!

i will be on this beach in about 5 days
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    i loved that also

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    still tons out there in Thailand and many other countries
    but the thing is, we wish they were like they were 50years ago but we don't go to the places because of no services!

i will be on this beach in about 5 days
    Exactly.. Between Phuket and Giers island theres beach after beach, deserted... Just like that.. But theres no one with a esky of cold beers on hand, or to get a freshwater shower after swimming..

I remember one trip along the trang coast, pulling into these stunning beaches, views out to islands and looking great.. But nothing there to eat or drink etc. Fine for a hour or twos stop, but tourism has a kind of gravity, the place that get enough biz to put in services grows and gets all the visitors.

I understand that, but there are island/beach tourist places which are able to remain the beauty of the island. In example, been to Bermuda, it's famous, it has tourism, they serve beer & food at the beach ... but the place still looks intact. Seychelles another one which looks still good ...

Thailand is one of those beautiful countries where they can't seem to stop and find the balance ... and ruin a place. Guess it has had an overdose of mass tourism arriving way too fast ...

You would agree that there have been significant changes post tsunami ...
    Ohh I get you.. But its short term profit v long term gain..

Bermuda.. British controlled colony.. Seychelles.. Was french.. Hawaii etc...

Some nationalities seem to give a shit, others dont and just rape it now for short term gain.. even Malaysia seems to care and understand that there needs to be protections and balance. Thais seems very much to only live for the now, considering the future, or god forbid taking less now to have more longer term.. Thats not exactly something I see much of. the last 5 or 8 years of Phukets growth has been textbook what not to do IMO. Pure short termism.

I am curious how Myanmaar goes, if they have the ability to maximize the potential of that coastline and do it with some flair and dignity. They sure have an amazing coastline there and I suspect the tourism boom of the next few years will put in place the building blocks.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 23rd July 2013 at 11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Exactly.. Between Phuket and Giers island theres beach after beach, deserted... Just like that.. But theres no one with a esky of cold beers on hand, or to get a freshwater shower after swimming..

I remember one trip along the trang coast, pulling into these stunning beaches, views out to islands and looking great.. But nothing there to eat or drink etc. Fine for a hour or twos stop, but tourism has a kind of gravity, the place that get enough biz to put in services grows and gets all the visitors.
    the picture i posted above in San Blas Islands in Panama, it is an arhipelego of islands and they have done it perfectly
    only the local inhabitants can run places so out of say 40 of those islands, 10 have facilities
    most are basic but you land, you pay them a flat fee per person( say 15-20usd) and that gives you 3 local meals a day and a hut to sleep in
    of course they have beers you can buy also

I understand that, but there are island/beach tourist places which are able to remain the beauty of the island. In example, been to Bermuda, it's famous, it has tourism, they serve beer & food at the beach ... but the place still looks intact. Seychelles another one which looks still good ...

Thailand is one of those beautiful countries where they can't seem to stop and find the balance ... and ruin a place. Guess it has had an overdose of mass tourism arriving way too fast ...

the one thing i don't like about Thailand is for some reason, besides Samui, there is not much of a bar/restaurant scene right on the beaches
    even when they do have them, they just seem to be sort of thrown together with very little beachy vibe
    i can't explain it better, but it is just a feeling

My island is still one of those....don't know for how long, but it seem to grow a bit slower than other places. Lack of public electricity is the main reason I guess.
    after likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Ohh I get you.. But its short term profit v long term gain..

Bermuda.. British controlled colony.. Seychelles.. Was french.. Hawaii etc...

Some nationalities seem to give a shit, others dont and just rape it now for short term gain.. even Malaysia seems to care and understand that there needs to be protections and balance. Thais seems very much to only live for the now, considering the future, or god forbid taking less now to have more longer term.. Thats not exactly something I see much of. the last 5 or 8 years of Phukets growth has been textbook what not to do IMO. Pure short termism.

I am curious how Myanmaar goes, if they have the ability to maximize the potential of that coastline and do it with some flair and dignity. They sure have an amazing coastline there and I suspect the tourism boom of the next few years will put in place the building blocks.
    Is it short term thinking? I'd happily dispute that, I'd also say it happens pretty much the same in the majority of popular tourist destinations and that Seycelles etc are in a very much minority of where they make a lot of controls and keep the islands as unspoilt as possible. Then speak to locals and hear their thoughts on this.

Koh Phayam is like this, as are hundreds of other islands around Thailands coastline, because there are no amenities, no electric is quite a staller to tourism or development?? Myanmar sadly will be no different to Thailand in my opinion, no reason for them to be any different is there? government restrictions to area's allowed will stop some places there, but once tourism gets hold it will take off in the popular coastal resort area's.

I was involved with properties in area's of Spain and the Canary's, where they did have what appeared to me at the time restrictive building regs, all properties must be white, no more than two storey, 2/3rds of green area on any plot etc etc go ask any local to those islands or country and tourism/development still spoilt them, cos sadly once in and under way nothing stays the same.

Koh Samui is slower growth, because once again restricted by air or sea to get there, to get building supplies etc there, but I went last year, first time for 10 years and was saddened by the development of the island to what it once was, but its how things are.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Is it short term thinking? I'd happily dispute that, I'd also say it happens pretty much the same in the majority of popular tourist destinations and that Seycelles etc are in a very much minority of where they make a lot of controls and keep the islands as unspoilt as possible. Then speak to locals and hear their thoughts on this.
    Go look at mass tourism beauty spots in europe or UK.. Bahamas, Bermuda, St Kitts, etc etc.. So no, its not global..

Koh Phayam is like this, as are hundreds of other islands around Thailands coastline, because there are no amenities, no electric is quite a staller to tourism or development?? Myanmar sadly will be no different to Thailand in my opinion, no reason for them to be any different is there? government restrictions to area's allowed will stop some places there, but once tourism gets hold it will take off in the popular coastal resort area's.
    But not everywhere chooses to do this.. Theres some islands off the east coast of Malaysia, and the islanders have decided that they dont want mass tourism, they are basing the economy on low volume eco tourism and higher dollar visitors, protecting the coral, and maximizing their resource.

Can you imagine a bunch of Thai islanders coming to that decision ?? Seen what they have done to Lippe in what, 5 years ?? Or Koh Tao ?? Just a ruined mess before they even get to the stage of development. Actual sewage waste leaking out the beach of every resort.

No not everywhere does it, they dont flush shit pipes onto the beach in Hawaii..

Yeah sorry I forgot Thailand are twats, nowhere else does this.

And no I didn't say everywhere did it, I said it is in the majority of touristic places, sorry should have specifically also noted some small islands off Malaysia haven't done it!!!.

I was also ignorant enough to think Spain, France, Italy, Balearics, Portugal were in Europe

Spot on Dodger, they are twats when it comes down to it. Take a look at Singapore and Malaysia and see how clean it is. Only town I've seen that is more dirty than Thai towns is PP Cambodia.

Sorry Geir didn't know we were talking about which is the dirtiest town????

No, but it reflect on the beaches as well. Look at the way they throw rubbish around them.......I've given up telling locals to stop it, I just get a silly "who do you think you are" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Yeah sorry I forgot Thailand are twats, nowhere else does this.

And no I didn't say everywhere did it, I said it is in the majority of touristic places, sorry should have specifically also noted some small islands off Malaysia haven't done it!!!.

I was also ignorant enough to think Spain, France, Italy, Balearics, Portugal were in Europe
    You think whats happened on Phuket (Lippe, Phi Phi, Koh Tao, KPG, Etc) doesnt show classic symptoms of short term thinking ??

Just go look at the beaches in Portugal.. Or France.. And no theres not open sewer pipes discharging stinking black water into what is basically the reason people come.. Yes Cambodia is probably similar in its lack of planning (far greater in its level of poverty).. And you could add Indonesia too.. But I used Malaysia as an example of a similar geographic location, with a similar level of development and poverty, who have chosen to at least attempt to preserve the appeals and retain the environment.

In very general terms, Thais dont do much forward planning, and very rarely turn down a buck today to preserve what they have for tomorrow. The idea of actually denying someone making money (those 'locals' gotta have a guaranteed income) is so rare.. Hell even if it means cutting a path through the coral beds to allow an underwater walk tour, if thats what it takes you can be sure someone will be out there chopping the coral up !! I mean FFS..

What I see with the tourist spots of Thailand is, theres some lovely spot, and as people come to it, with no thought of design, or sustainability, or refuse control etc.. concrete boxes are slapped on at a rate of knots until its lost the appeal for anything but lowest common denominator mass tourism.. Thats the worst kind and put the most strain on the surroundings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast