Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Patong High Season?

Patong High Season?

After dinner last night we meandered Bangla Rd and the bar sois on the sides and frankly were a bit shocked. I think we left Bangla about midnight.

By this time, Dec 6th, there are normally a lot more people in Bangla Rd at night but the real surprise was the few numbers of people in bars. The back of both Tigers were deserted. If you took the Bargirls out, there was only handfuls of people you could describe as customers. Soi Crocodile is no longer there and Soi Eric Sea Dragon etc were just as deserted at the back.

The biggest crowd was watching monkey imitations on a set of bars where the old Soi Crocodile was. With "quality" entertainment sinking to this level, could this be why tourists are not going to Bangla? That and the innumerable touts for Ping Pong shows it has lost some of the sleazy glitz it had.

Still some lovely girls and ladyboys and pretty tourists to be seen but just not so many?

Anyone else been in Bangla recently?

HS keeps getting later and later every year in the tourist areas of Thailand....in samui now it only gets busy the weekend before Xmas....and then its like about 50 jumbos must have arrived that day...its kinda weird

I'll be having my first Xmas/NY in Phuket for 5 years this year...I hope Patong gets off the ground before I arrive...Kamala/Surin can remain as quiet as they like
    quiksilva likes this.

Actually, right about now is usually one of the slowest times of the year.
    I was out Sat night for a bit and it was slow, but maybe only a bit slower than last year.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

That's good to know Bill,
    I just miss the old days of Bangla with Soi Crocodile and all the others in full swing
    before they closed Bangla to traffic and the crazy tuktuks trying to drive up and down.

Can't believe I would miss the ladyboys but it's not quite the same now.
    Still a lot of fun though.

Lets hope this Xmas booms for everyone or should that be boom-booms?

I don't think I will ever go back to Bangla again....

We went after Bills Thanksgiving and although we enjoyed Soi Eric, Bangla was just too full on with young farang touts, Russia girls, McD's
    It's not as bad as Walking Street in Pattaya but close......

I did enjoy Phuket overall though

OK so Phuket is tourism.. Without it the economy crumbles..

But I was having this same or similar discussion with grumbling aging expats, the kind who howl merry hell or boycott a bar because the beer goes up 10b, and say the girls no longer pay attention like they used to.. But where I am western tourism is in deep decline, and I dont think the Thais here care !! I live 25 or 30 mins out of town, in a really rural village setting, roosters and crickets.. Some belgian has opened a Tintin cafe, complete with belgian and other import beers 200 - 300b a pop, and he has customers, in a Thai village !! A few 100m further down the road is a great little stop owned by a very wealthy, well travelled, Thai guy.. The place is decorated with 100k bonsai trees, sells similar 200 - 300b beers, (IMO) vastly overpriced food, and has a crowd in even on weeknights. While it has its share of fortuna and pajero expats I was in there a few nights ago and by the time I left it was all Thais and asians, with the car park mostly late model beemers and a red plated e class coupe. All domestic spending and real money.

The same going in town.. Loy Kroh is a fairly run down sorry state, with ropey old birds, bars which havent changed in 10 or 15 years, stinking old pissers, etc etc.. Go over to Niman and you have to queue for the honor of getting a chair in beer lab, again where the beers are 4x the price, and its packed by middle class Thais and wealthy asian tourists. The contrast in the spending between the 2 sides of town is just undeniable. Thats not of course to say there are not any westerners in the Niman side, but the days of western retirees on a modest pension having any kind of economic clout seem long past.

A similar thing I noted when chatting with a little friend from Udon.. She was always a occasional and choosy student / FL rather than bar staff and shes recently finished college and the work experience gig and is in full 'find a husband' mode after getting the heave ho from her Japanese benefactor. Shes been invited to the UK and isnt fussed, she doesnt want a western husband Korea, Japan, perhaps Taiwan or HK etc is her target. A wealthy N east asian is where her appeals lie.

WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I don't think I will ever go back to Bangla again....

We went after Bills Thanksgiving and although we enjoyed Soi Eric, Bangla was just too full on with young farang touts, Russia girls, McD's
    It's not as bad as Walking Street in Pattaya but close......

I did enjoy Phuket overall though
    Don't enjoy either anymore but there are still places in Bangkok that are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    OK so Phuket is tourism.. Without it the economy crumbles..

But I was having this same or similar discussion with grumbling aging expats, the kind who howl merry hell or boycott a bar because the beer goes up 10b, and say the girls no longer pay attention like they used to.. But where I am western tourism is in deep decline, and I dont think the Thais here care !! I live 25 or 30 mins out of town, in a really rural village setting, roosters and crickets.. Some belgian has opened a Tintin cafe, complete with belgian and other import beers 200 - 300b a pop, and he has customers, in a Thai village !! A few 100m further down the road is a great little stop owned by a very wealthy, well travelled, Thai guy.. The place is decorated with 100k bonsai trees, sells similar 200 - 300b beers, (IMO) vastly overpriced food, and has a crowd in even on weeknights. While it has its share of fortuna and pajero expats I was in there a few nights ago and by the time I left it was all Thais and asians, with the car park mostly late model beemers and a red plated e class coupe. All domestic spending and real money.

The same going in town.. Loy Kroh is a fairly run down sorry state, with ropey old birds, bars which havent changed in 10 or 15 years, stinking old pissers, etc etc.. Go over to Niman and you have to queue for the honor of getting a chair in beer lab, again where the beers are 4x the price, and its packed by middle class Thais and wealthy asian tourists. The contrast in the spending between the 2 sides of town is just undeniable. Thats not of course to say there are not any westerners in the Niman side, but the days of western retirees on a modest pension having any kind of economic clout seem long past.

A similar thing I noted when chatting with a little friend from Udon.. She was always a occasional and choosy student / FL rather than bar staff and shes recently finished college and the work experience gig and is in full 'find a husband' mode after getting the heave ho from her Japanese benefactor. Shes been invited to the UK and isnt fussed, she doesnt want a western husband Korea, Japan, perhaps Taiwan or HK etc is her target. A wealthy N east asian is where her appeals lie.
    I think a lot of BM's in Thai forums are stuck in the past where they think everything should be 60baht and that we somehow still matter.....
    I use BKK as an example.....
    It has matured so much that I just think of it as just another International city with a ton in offer.......
    And if you get away from lower Suk ........it is Thais in all these places.

I was at Siam Center food court and there were some really nice places to eat with all type of different varieties.
    I was in a French Bakery having a cappuccino that felt like I was in Pairs! And it was me and all Thai students.

There are a lot of Thais with money and sometimes I think that is why you see some BM's on these forums bristle about these type of places....... because they know they(we) don't matter like we used to

Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    Don't enjoy either anymore but there are still places in Bangkok that are ok.
    Bangkok is am awesome city with a lot of different areas.....

But hell, I'd take Soi 4 over Bangla and Pattaya Walking Street any day.
    And I don't particularly care for Soi 4

I actually fell back in love with Soi 11 and the sois around it this time.
    It's a pain to get to but once there, it just has so many different places to choose from
    WTF likes this.

I actually fell back in love with Soi 11 and the sois around it this time.
    It's a pain to get to but once there, it just has so many different places to choose from
    not if you stay on it...I've had several trips lately where i have barely moved off soi 11...agree with you...loads to do and see there...it also has a nice kinda local vibe once you get get to know it and settle in...

and there is always something new popping up along there
    WTF likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    not if you stay on it...I've had several trips lately where i have barely moved off soi 11...agree with you...loads to do and see there...it also has a nice kinda local vibe once you get get to know it and settle in...

and there is always something new popping up along there
    That's what I meant........we were contemplating not staying on soi 11 just because of how hectic it is to get there..........but once we got there, valeted the car..........we were settled at Aloft and loved it and didn't leave soi 11 for 2 days

I overthought it my last night and cheaped out a bit, stayed on soi 2 and ended up back on soi 11 all night........should have just booked Aloft again(whose rooms are awesome, by the way)
    nelsonone likes this.

There are a lot of Thais with money and sometimes I think that is why you see some BM's on these forums bristle about these type of places....... because they know they(we) don't matter like we used to
    I mentioned when we were chatting in Laos.. But thats one downside of the expat scene in Chiang Mai.. A lot of much cheaper expats, often longer duration and older.. skews a lot of services and reviews.. Eg theres a Chiang Mai eats facebook group, and the reviews strongly favor places serving bulk and cheap and places get properly slagged and put down if they open up and 'shock horror' try to provide a bit more quality, turning even borderline hostile if posting about 5 star hotel buffet options which would be considered a steal on Phuket.

That's what I meant........we were contemplating not staying on soi 11 just because of how hectic it is to get there..........but once we got there, valeted the car..........we were settled at Aloft and loved it and didn't leave soi 11 for 2 days

I overthought it my last night and cheaped out a bit, stayed on soi 2 and ended up back on soi 11 all night........should have just booked Aloft again(whose rooms are awesome, by the way)
    Soi 2 is a bit of a problem now with the sub soi to soi 4 being closed and the one way system that means you are forced to turn left going toward siam at Suk.

Soi 11 other than the taxis is now kinda back under control............it was getting a real mess just before i left my condo there. Now that i look at it; its still one of the top places to stay as long as you can take the touts everyday

Not surprised people have wizened up to the gouge that is Bangla Phuket in high season.