Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: How About Patong These Days?

  1. #1
    Senior Member BroTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA, USA
    Posts
    658

    Question How About Patong These Days?

    I haven't visited Patong Beach (& Thailand for that matter) since March/April of 2015. I used to go about every year to enjoy the warm weather, vibrant ocean, and hot girls. Not always in that order. Might have even visited a temple or three on my first trip in 2007. Thailand has museums, who knew?? 55

    Over the last year I've heard bits & pieces on this forum about lots of changes happening around Patong. Beach chairs, no beach chairs, and a massive redevelopment of Sawadirak, where one of my favorite massage girls used to work (Alek at Bali Hai). So what's up these days? This inquiring mind wants to know. ST & LT prices? 55
    dawsey likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290
    Develpment is a new Shopping Centre across from Bali Hai. There was a fire inside it about a week ago, so will delay the opening. BH has a new owner, so maybe staff have changed.

    Bangla is forever fluid. Seems like more touts than ever and new bars opening while many existing bars remain empty.
    LivinLOS likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BroTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA, USA
    Posts
    658

    How About Patong These Days?

    Good to hear that the Bali Hai is still there. If I manage to make it back this year, I'll have to see if Alek is still there. Oddly, I miss the hustle of Bangla. I always enjoyed moving through the crowds, and have gotten really good at brushing off the touts.

  4. #4
    Senior Member briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    290
    I think the best addition is a new Surf Hut with a wave machine. Owned by the same guy as the Kata one. It is opposite Patong Immigration and doing very well despite no parking around there, so mainly walk ups.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Petter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    309
    its business as usual ,the touts are there as always ,was quite busy ,all this empty bars was not there even old soi eric was quite filled up every night

    lots of clubs have popped up,even some beach clubs with 200 bath a beer and planning roof top restaurant with bobbles and jacuzzi ,seems to me its quite busy all over,but we or most of us have been older,thats the biggest change and we have the history in the baggage
    But Patong is quite or very expensive all over,more and more for the spending crowd ,cheap charlie time is gone with singha t shirt and 45 bath a beer.

    card and Dart players and have moved to Kamela
    Last edited by Petter; 21st January 2017 at 02:13.
    dawsey likes this.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

  6. #6
    Super Moderator dawsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    card and Dart players and have moved to Kamela
    I saw the video. It reminded me of a Thai Darby & Joan club meeting (look it up). All it needed were the zimmer frames parked in the corner.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

    AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Petter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    309
    jepps Transport can be arranged. All seniors welcome

    but on another note ,Russians bars and balalaika music ,and dance/gogo clubs have moved inn
    dawsey likes this.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

  8. #8
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,479
    I thought I'd be a bit turned off by Patong when going back after 6 years.
    I was pleasantly surprised....

    Bangla is a circus, way too many young farang touts.
    Soi Eric was nicely done-over and seemed more open.....I liked it and I saw plenty of pretty girls working in Soi Eric

    We stayed over on Patong Road where Nap Inn is. Still pretty khx the same it was before with any additions seemingly good additions.

    A nice area on the beach to eat at Loma Park area.

    The only negative is a like to explore so if in a car, there is tons of traffic. The ride from the airport was absolutely hell.

    But if you come on holiday, not driving I think Patong isn't much different than it used to be

  9. #9
    Senior Member MrDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,574
    Is Mai Thai Bar still operating?

  10. #10
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Is Mai Thai Bar still operating?
    No....hasn't been for a long time now...maybe 3 years or so...Ead shut the bar when (maybe just before) they closed soi eric up and turned it into soi freedom...she took the name with her despite Lucy (who used to work for her and Nicke) offering to continue on with it
    MrDK likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Petter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    309
    yes in a way, now named Little Devils bar and run by Somhan (used to work in Mai Thai)
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

  12. #12
    Senior Member Petter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    309
    I thought I'd be a bit turned off by Patong when going back after 6 years.
    I was pleasantly surprised....
    Yes Marc, did read your tour report and did talk to Dan, and wanted to see with my own eyes since both of you was positive
    I would say its as its always have been, just change clientele from more experienced singha singlet oldies to more younger (aussie-russians,middle east)crowd going for the more upscale disco or clubs after midnight ,before midnight you have all the couples and families running up and down bangla,and between there you have the tourists like you and me I still like the beer bars in bangla early afternoon, lots of people and still a chill atmosphere ,just take it from there and do some people watching, you see the most
    Of course its changed to a younger crowd who dress little up and go for the clubs,just like any other holiday destination, and prices is of course also like most other destinations, mixed drinks and shots but still I don't find it difficult to mingle inn and just adapt and have a good time

    I would say if a was 20-25 from aussie ,us or eu and was it Patong for first time it would be heaven ,like it was for us for 20 years ago
    nelsonone, dawsey and Dkdude like this.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

  13. #13
    Senior Member Easycpl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Patong Beach
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    I would say if a was 20-25 from aussie ,us or eu and was it Patong for first time it would be heaven ,like it was for us for 20 years ago
    I think this is true, some of the changes are in US, not the place. We love Patong, and wouldn't trade our apartment here for anywhere else in Phuket. It's about the pulse, the energy and vitality, the ability to walk anywhere we want to go, or to take the car and go anywhere else on the island for shopping, chiller beaches, or to see friends. Yeah, the traffic in town is insane, but it's still easy to get around by motorbike. The prices are higher than anywhere else in Thailand, but nowhere else really offers the combination of things we love here.

    Change happens, we either have to accept that as a part of life, or keep moving on.....

    It's easy to miss the old days, but I think part of what we miss about it is the exuberance and naiveté of youth.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

  14. #14
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    I'm sure it is fine just don't think high peak season is the best.

    Probably Oct-Nov or late Jan to Feb to avoid the gouge that is peak season but still have a good vibe and nice weather.

  15. #15
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    I think this is true, some of the changes are in US, not the place. We love Patong, and wouldn't trade our apartment here for anywhere else in Phuket. It's about the pulse, the energy and vitality, the ability to walk anywhere we want to go, or to take the car and go anywhere else on the island for shopping, chiller beaches, or to see friends. Yeah, the traffic in town is insane, but it's still easy to get around by motorbike. The prices are higher than anywhere else in Thailand, but nowhere else really offers the combination of things we love here.

    Change happens, we either have to accept that as a part of life, or keep moving on.....

    It's easy to miss the old days, but I think part of what we miss about it is the exuberance and naiveté of youth.
    The biggest negative was driving.....I love to go places. I am a bit hyper and can't stay in one place.
    The traffic even from say Kamala to Surin just makes me loose that island vibe......As Ao put it, our "Samui relax"

    But one thing I did mention in my TR was I forgot how gorgeous parts of Phuket can be.
    You think about the towns like Patong and such and forget just how beautiful the island can be.

    I still enjoy Samui more now because the pace is slower but I think Phuket is much more beautiful overall than Samui

  16. #16
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Yes Marc, did read your tour report and did talk to Dan, and wanted to see with my own eyes since both of you was positive
    I would say its as its always have been, just change clientele from more experienced singha singlet oldies to more younger (aussie-russians,middle east)crowd going for the more upscale disco or clubs after midnight ,before midnight you have all the couples and families running up and down bangla,and between there you have the tourists like you and me I still like the beer bars in bangla early afternoon, lots of people and still a chill atmosphere ,just take it from there and do some people watching, you see the most
    Of course its changed to a younger crowd who dress little up and go for the clubs,just like any other holiday destination, and prices is of course also like most other destinations, mixed drinks and shots but still I don't find it difficult to mingle inn and just adapt and have a good time

    I would say if a was 20-25 from aussie ,us or eu and was it Patong for first time it would be heaven ,like it was for us for 20 years ago
    I don't mind clubs, went to a few in Bangkok but Bangla is just too much of an overload how..... Reminded me too much of Walking Street in Pattaya now.

    I doubt I'd spend more than an occasional night on Bangla nowadays.

    But I'm stuck. I enjoyed seeing people in Kamala but that place is an old age home for entertainment 555

  17. #17
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    Where is your trip report.....haven't read that?

  18. #18
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Where is your trip report.....haven't read that?
    I thought I posted it here but I guess not ...

    On TD
    No one here gives a crap about Asia specific stuff anyways.....I've put plenty of content up about Asia that gets no traction
    LivinLOS likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Thin White Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Afrique du Sud
    Posts
    2,891
    Hey I'm still interested

  20. #20
    Senior Member BroTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA, USA
    Posts
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I thought I posted it here but I guess not ...

    On TD
    No one here gives a crap about Asia specific stuff anyways.....I've put plenty of content up about Asia that gets no traction
    Be the change you'd like to see.
    I'd like to read what you had to say as well. I have little use for TD, but always enjoy reading about others' experiences in Asia.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •