Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 20k baht

20k baht

anyone here really not travel with out least 20k baht in cash?

myself i carry min 100k in cash just in case ....usually ends up coming back with me though

as an example 2 days before going home one time a bank machine ate my debit card, and they wanted 2 days to recover it and then go to bank to pick it up...

Usually carry between 10 and 15 k baht, just to be sure upon arrival. Travel with several cards, so normally not a big problem if one is swallowed.

I have a Thai bank account, so transfer cash over before my trip.

Years ago I used traveller cheques, but the rate was poor and they introduced charges to cash them.

Used to use Nationwide atm cash card, rate was good and no charges, even got interest on balance but that all changed, now charges at both ends.

Not sure I'd like to carry all my accommodation and spending money in cash.

i travel with several cards as well and have a bank account there ...guess i just like the security of having cash just in case
    Pablo likes this.

I also had several cards on my holidays before I moved here, but they are all history now and I'm stuck with 2 Thai cards. They've been working ok abroad the few times I've been leaving the country.
    Every time in the ATM I take out 20k....I never walk around with more than that in my valet. I had 2mil in cash on me when I renewed my lease in a bar in Patong, but I didn't like the feeling going down Soi Sansabai and into Bangla to pay at the old Tiger office. The people at the office knew I was coming with the cash, so they could have set me up I they wanted to. It was in the afternoon, so not as bad as in the evening.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by collectskulls View Post
    i travel with several cards as well and have a bank account there ...guess i just like the security of having cash just in case
    Don't tell the girls 555

I actually bring cash for a different reason

I find if I bring a bunch of cash and exchange it as I go I don't spend as much money because I am aware of how much I am changing each day.

On one of my 1st trips, my bank shut down my ATM card.
    I didn't know I could do a cash advance on my CC

So the last 3 days of holiday I just went where they took CC, which 15 years ago in Bangkok was not that easy!

that would of been big envelope 5555

when i use my cards i take out the 30k at yellow bank for less fees ... i don't like going out at night with out at least 20k for the you never know what could happen aspect 555

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I also had several cards on my holidays before I moved here, but they are all history now and I'm stuck with 2 Thai cards. They've been working ok abroad the few times I've been leaving the country.
    Every time in the ATM I take out 20k....I never walk around with more than that in my valet. I had 2mil in cash on me when I renewed my lease in a bar in Patong, but I didn't like the feeling going down Soi Sansabai and into Bangla to pay at the old Tiger office. The people at the office knew I was coming with the cash, so they could have set me up I they wanted to. It was in the afternoon, so not as bad as in the evening.
    geir likes this.

Thats why i bring cash ..one trip someone got one of my cc number and it was shut down as they were buying stuff in Texas well i was in Patong 555

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I actually bring cash for a different reason

I find if I bring a bunch of cash and exchange it as I go I don't spend as much money because I am aware of how much I am changing each day.

On one of my 1st trips, my bank shut down my ATM card.
    I didn't know I could do a cash advance on my CC

So the last 3 days of holiday I just went where they took CC, which 15 years ago in Bangkok was not that easy!

You know i read stories of guys being robbed and I wonder wtf ... i Have woken up in the am asked the girl beside me who are you and where did you come from ..then find my clothes neatly folded shoes put away and all cash left over from the night before still in my pocket or beside my clothes.

Maybe i just been lucky ...but after living in Bkk for the last 18 months and being on the piss for a good year of that you would think odds are ..

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Don't tell the girls 555

I take 100k cash too and a CC as back up, but I've never had to use it.
    I always travel with half in my luggage and half in my carry on and store it in the room safe.

I travel with US$ which I believe can be exchanged just about anywhere.
    When I leave LOS I carry just enough in THB to cover the first day on my next trip, usually between five and ten thousand baht.
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by collectskulls View Post
    You know i read stories of guys being robbed and I wonder wtf ... i Have woken up in the am asked the girl beside me who are you and where did you come from ..then find my clothes neatly folded shoes put away and all cash left over from the night before still in my pocket or beside my clothes.

Maybe i just been lucky ...but after living in Bkk for the last 18 months and being on the piss for a good year of that you would think odds are ..
    Yeah, I've been lucky too........someone stole my valet in my house in Patong hill once while I was having a swim in the pool. I was alone up there, but someone must have came through the jungle in the back, jumped the fence and walked inn the door. Once some money was missing from my pocket after falling asleep in a Tuk Tuk an early morning back in the days. But otherwise not to bad for living here for 14 years and holidaying for 4 years before that.
    collectskulls likes this.

I usually budget 4K Baht a day excluding accommodation and that works for me. I usually bring that amount in cash and put about 10K on the credit card. A good tip in case you only have one card and fear it getting swallowed is to use the ATM's at banks, they usually have access to the machine as opposed to one on the street and can get it out for you if you have some id.

Funnily enough on my last trip I used my debit card to withdraw money and it cost me more than the credit card! Also Babydolls in Pattaya do nights where they can set you up with a Thai bank account on any visa they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    I take 100k cash too and a CC as back up, but I've never had to use it.
    I always travel with half in my luggage and half in my carry on and store it in the room safe.
    You joking?...? You put 50 000B in your checked in bag?

Yeah I spilt it in case either is lost/stolen/delayed, then I'll still have at least half, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    Yeah I spilt it in case either is lost/stolen/delayed, then I'll still have at least half, why not?
    I would be concerned about theft from the checked in bag , my bag has been opened / tampered with a few times over the years

cameras, computers , cash , cards all go in my hand luggage

last trip was the first time I have carried cash , apart from leftover baht from the previous trip , I used to just take TCs and cards , but now TCs are getting harder / more expensive to get and use
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I would be concerned about theft from the checked in bag , my bag has been opened / tampered with a few times over the years
    I ​don't carry anything dodgy though 555

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    You joking?...? You put 50 000B in your checked in bag?
    I have put US$9,000 (THB 300K+) in checked luggage, but was all TC's.
    Reason was that I traveled with near twice the allowable amounts in negotiable instruments
    TC's are insured add can be replaced.

I just travel with about $500 to $1000 in USD hundred dollar bills. I have residual currency like what's left when I leave Thailand (always less than 10k but usually about 5k) and currency for all the countries I'm traveling to, but usually the same, whatever was left over. ATMs are just outside immigration and in many airports available in transit. I think Thailand has the right to enforce the 10k cash in Thai baht, but there must be some reason that these guys get questioned, it's like every law in Thailand, there are a lot of laws, when they choose to apply they apply. So I guess...

(full disclosure: I have non-imm B, work permit, and APEC card from USA so usually go through the crew immigration lane).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast