Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Derogatory Thai words...

Derogatory Thai words...

Is the word "kathoey" really considered as derogatory in Thailand?

Detroit restaurant changes name, replacing derogatory Thai LGBT slur | Fox News

Progressive liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

This is God damn unbelievable.
    The same people that hijacked a word in the English language to mean merry, lively, happy, etc. and put to mean "put your wiener in my ass" are now offended a Thai word of near same meaning.
    Get flipping real!!!!!

Thailand is world famous for recognising a "Third sex" individual socially. These liberals still think they invented it.
    phuying praphet song phet thi sam

The word Khatoey is Khmer, not Thai

Isn't it a Thai person who made a complaint?

Or is this just an excuse for more Liberal-bashing?

Yeah, a Thai woman, obviously a liberal lesbian though if she complained about her own language.
    Couldn't be a made up crock of shit just to get major publicity for the restaurant could it?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    This is God damn unbelievable.
    The same people that hijacked a word in the English language to mean merry, lively, happy, etc. and put to mean "put your wiener in my ass" are now offended a Thai word of near same meaning.
    Get flipping real!!!!!
    Not sure how old you are , but I doubt anyone on this forum is old enough to have used the tem gay to mean merry or happy .., so not sure why you are so slighted
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Not sure how old you are , but I doubt anyone on this forum is old enough to have used the tem gay to mean merry or happy .., so not sure why you are so slighted
    What about the Flintstones theme? "We'll have a Gaaay...old...tiiiime.....Wilmaaa!"....555
    TLandHim and dontpanic like this.

Does not matter how old you are, the word/term was hijacked in the '70's.
    I do know I am old enough to have read writings by Hans Christian Andersen who used it frequently.
    Maybe his work is obsolete and maybe children of over 100 languages should find different entertainment.
    Of course even an adolescent of today could use the Merriam-Webster dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay, but apparently not some members of this forum.

Does not matter how old you are, the word/term was hijacked in the '70's.
    I do know I am old enough to have read writings by Hans Christian Andersen who used it frequently.
    Maybe his work is obsolete and maybe children of over 100 languages should find different entertainment.
    Of course even an adolescent of today could use the Merriam-Webster dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay, but apparently not some members of this forum.
    I assumed he would have written his stories in Danish not English ....

try this site

Online Etymology Dictionary

it has had various meanings over the years

late 14c., "full of joy, merry; light-hearted, carefree;" also "wanton, lewd, lascivious" (late 12c. as a surname, Philippus de Gay), from Old French gai "joyful, happy; pleasant, agreeably charming; forward, pert; light-colored" (12c.; compare Old Spanish gayo, Portuguese gaio, Italian gajo, probably French loan-words). Ultimate origin disputed; perhaps from Frankish *gahi (related to Old High German wahi "pretty"), though not all etymologists accept this. Meaning "stately and beautiful; splendid and showily dressed" is from early 14c. In the English of Yorkshire and Scotland formerly it could mean "moderately, rather, considerable" (1796; compare sense development in pretty (adj.)).

The word gay by the 1890s had an overall tinge of promiscuity -- a gay house was a brothel. The suggestion of immorality in the word can be traced back at least to the 1630s, if not to Chaucer:
    But in oure bed he was so fressh and gay
    Whan that he wolde han my bele chose.
    Slang meaning "homosexual" (adj.) begins to appear in psychological writing late 1940s, evidently picked up from gay slang and not always easily distinguished from the older sense:
    After discharge A.Z. lived for some time at home. He was not happy at the farm and went to a Western city where he associated with a homosexual crowd, being "gay," and wearing female clothes and makeup. He always wished others would make advances to him. ["Rorschach Research Exchange and Journal of Projective Techniques," 1947, p.240]
    The association with (male) homosexuality likely got a boost from the term gay cat, used as far back as 1893 in American English for "young hobo," one who is new on the road, also one who sometimes does jobs.
    "A Gay Cat," said he, "is a loafing laborer, who works maybe a week, gets his wages and vagabonds about hunting for another 'pick and shovel' job. Do you want to know where they got their monica (nickname) 'Gay Cat'? See, Kid, cats sneak about and scratch immediately after chumming with you and then get gay (fresh). That's why we call them 'Gay Cats'." [Leon Ray Livingston ("America's Most Celebrated Tramp"), "Life and Adventures of A-no. 1," 1910]
    Quoting a tramp named Frenchy, who might not have known the origin. Gay cats were severely and cruelly abused by "real" tramps and bums, who considered them "an inferior order of beings who begs of and otherwise preys upon the bum -- as it were a jackal following up the king of beasts" [Prof. John J. McCook, "Tramps," in "The Public Treatment of Pauperism," 1893], but some accounts report certain older tramps would dominate a gay cat and employ him as a sort of slave. In "Sociology and Social Research" (1932-33) a paragraph on the "gay cat" phenomenon notes, "Homosexual practices are more common than rare in this group," and gey cat "homosexual boy" is attested in Noel Erskine's 1933 dictionary of "Underworld & Prison Slang" (gey is a Scottish variant of gay).

The "Dictionary of American Slang" reports that gay (adj.) was used by homosexuals, among themselves, in this sense since at least 1920. Rawson ["Wicked Words"] notes a male prostitute using gay in reference to male homosexuals (but also to female prostitutes) in London's notorious Cleveland Street Scandal of 1889. Ayto ["20th Century Words"] calls attention to the ambiguous use of the word in the 1868 song "The Gay Young Clerk in the Dry Goods Store," by U.S. female impersonator Will S. Hays, but the word evidently was not popularly felt in this sense by wider society until the 1950s at the earliest.
    "Gay" (or "gai") is now widely used in French, Dutch, Danish, Japanese, Swedish, and Catalan with the same sense as the English. It is coming into use in Germany and among the English-speaking upper classes of many cosmopolitan areas in other countries. [John Boswell, "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality," 1980]
    As a teen slang word meaning "bad, inferior, undesirable," without reference to sexuality, from 2000.
    Waharoa likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

^Sounds like MrDK meant the 1870s?

Sounds like I looked up the word in Merriam-Webster dictionary in 2017
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay,

^Right wing dictionary.

^ 555
    Try Oxford, it adds an "informal" definition:
    Foolish, stupid, or unimpressive
    ‘he thinks the obsession with celebrity is totally gay’
    Waharoa likes this.

Sounds like I looked up the word in Merriam-Webster dictionary in 2017
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay,
    I think from reading up, it seemed to be used against them in a derogatory way and they then adopted it?

Seems like a good deal to me!

So it's like nigger/nigga I guess.

Depends who says it.

^ 555
    Try Oxford, it adds an "informal" definition:
    Foolish, stupid, or unimpressive
    ‘he thinks the obsession with celebrity is totally gay’
    language and the usage of words can evolve over time , who would have thought a few years ago , that right wing nutters would be hurling a word like "snowflake" around as an insult ....

Waharoa likes this.

language and the usage of words can evolve over time , who would have thought a few years ago , that right wing nutters would be hurling a word like "snowflake" around as an insult ....

Who would have thought that allahu Akbar terror attacks would become "man made disaster" all to make at least one left win nutter happy.
    Let's call a spade a spade; when a person with XY composition choses to insert his most prominent ID into the a-hole of another XY it is called a homosexual act. Each may be uncomfortable calling a spade a spade and the pick another word like "gay" so to not really label themselves.
    For clarification, I have no problem with homosexual or bisexuals. I have male homosexual friends and I have enjoyed the company of bisexual women so I can hardly be labeled prejudice in this regard.

Who would have thought that allahu Akbar terror attacks would become "man made disaster" all to make at least one left win nutter happy.
    Let's call a spade a spade; when a person with XY composition choses to insert his most prominent ID into the a-hole of another XY it is called a homosexual act. Each may be uncomfortable calling a spade a spade and the pick another word like "gay" so to not really label themselves.
    For clarification, I have no problem with homosexual or bisexuals. I have male homosexual friends and I have enjoyed the company of bisexual women so I can hardly be labeled prejudice in this regard.

Being called gay is not avoiding a label , everyone knows what it means .....and despite your fixation on anal sex , not all homosexuals engage in that act

what did your male gay friends think of your opinions on them hijacking the word ?

I assume by "enjoying the company of bisexual women " you are referring to prostitutes you have paid to lez it up

Derogatory Thai words...

I once had an interesting conversation with a mostly gay man (who was also a previous play partner of my bisexual girlfriend), who insisted that he preferred anus to pussy. He described the relative structure and 'grip' of each orifice in great detail. Having tried both options myself (with women only, but not for lack of availability), I much prefer pussy. And tits, and a nicely swelled set of hips leading down to a bubble butt. Can't help it, I'm just wired that way.

And I think the fucking snowflakes that were demanding a name change for the restaurant should be required to spend a year in rural Thailand farming rice. Talk about "first world problems."
    Last edited by BroTiger; 26th August 2017 at 07:26.
    geir and Changone like this.

Being called gay is not avoiding a label , everyone knows what it means .....and despite your fixation on anal sex , not all homosexuals engage in that act
    I am nit sure what you mean by fixation. I have Never tried it and never will. If you had said adversity you would have been closer to on track

What did your male gay friends think of your opinions on them hijacking the word ?
    interesting question. I actually have brought that up a couple of times, gotten a laugh and also an acknowledgement that I got it right.

I assume by "enjoying the company of bisexual women " you are referring to prostitutes you have paid to lez it up
    Both paid and not paid.
    There are a lot of women (at least in the US) that are curious and will try it at least once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast