Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: After 9.5 years in Phuket, I need a change for a while !.....

  1. #1
    Member SLeesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    89

    After 9.5 years in Phuket, I need a change for a while !.....

    Hello again Gents !

    Getting tired of Phuket's rubbish, litter, and they've just started a fly tip opposite my condo, nice !
    motorbikes aiming for me, motorbikes with sidecars doing 20Kms, potholes & school run traffic,
    electricity cables and advertising signs everywhere !

    But I do like the beach and have alot of friends in the area so maybe....
    Fancy a change for one school year perhaps....
    I think it will do me good.

    How's life up/over there in CM or CR or HH or Samui or ....

    (BTW Plan C is KL or Singapore or Hawaii/San Diego !!!!!)

    Cheers,
    Sleesy.

  2. #2
    New User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Forget plan C goto pattaya for 3 months if you last that long you will go back to phuket like a fresh new man

    Do some youtube on South Korea you might like that !!

  3. #3
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Lots of board members went from Phuket to Chiang Mai and didnt regret the choice.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    I am more and more into CM every day.. Much more as a place to live than a place to visit if that makes any sense.. I love the green and wild and the way it feels civilized and planned.. I love I can hop on the bike and in 20 mins in any direction be in lush jungles / rice paddies / lake areas / etc, that are really country and quite lovely, in fact sometimes take my breath away and I have to really pause and absorb just how special this bit of the world looks as it goes through its changing seasons.. Yet I also have multiple malls within minutes of my home with any electronic item or supermarkets with everything from olives to avacados.. Its has everything for a modern life yet doesnt feel westernized or really big city to do so. I choose to live outside the city tho, the old inner city has its traffic woes to be sure. Plus I should be clear that I am a country boy at heart and the green and country aspect is something that really just makes me feel contented and I know not everyone gets that feeling.

    It doesnt have much of a bar scene for mongers, its gogos are almost laughable, and its lacking in twin palms / indigo pearl / etc type hi end brunch places (tho there are 2) which IIRC your a fan off.. The high end here is less flash than the high end of Phuket and caters as much to affluent Thais as it does farangs or tourists. If you feel you would miss that aspect I cant think of anywhere other than Phuket or Bangkok (urban tho) that can provide that in Thailand.

    My impression (and thats personal bubble of course) is the expats here are on average older, perhaps a little less affluent, more pensioning and budgeting long term, and lacking the surin set flash side.. They seem more settled and complain about Thais less.. Many seem much more commited to life more home owners than renters, more people with dogs / kids / some kind of roots... More harmony or less conflict, or however to describe that impression, hard to quantify or nail down just what I mean..

    Other choices you list... CR is a bit too much of a backwater for me, I want to go be served fine dining or have a selection of fancy beers some nights. CR is just too small and backwaterish to me. Samui I enjoy, I think it is my favorite Thai island to visit and great to recharge the beach battery.. But I think its downsides are the same as Phuket and living there might have the same feelings, tho I do think I could probably live there for a while happily. Samui is perhaps Phuket-lite and CR is CM-lite..

    Hua hin was always a big fat Meh for me, nothing about it stands out from its services, its people, its cost of living, its town, or its beaches.. I guess its close to Bangkok but that has zero relevance for me, I guess it holds more appeal for rotation oil guys always going through the airport.

  5. #5
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    Hello again Gents !

    Getting tired of Phuket's rubbish, litter, and they've just started a fly tip opposite my condo, nice !
    motorbikes aiming for me, motorbikes with sidecars doing 20Kms, potholes & school run traffic,
    electricity cables and advertising signs everywhere !

    But I do like the beach and have alot of friends in the area so maybe....
    Fancy a change for one school year perhaps....
    I think it will do me good.

    How's life up/over there in CM or CR or HH or Samui or ....

    (BTW Plan C is KL or Singapore or Hawaii/San Diego !!!!!)

    Cheers,
    Sleesy.
    Hey, long time no see.
    I can do a bit of advertising for Ranong. Most people just come here for visa runs or to visit the islands, but they loose out of a lot. The nature here is the most beautiful I've seen in Thailand and with a Tesco and an upcoming Makro and Bangkok International Hospital we are getting close to western standards. It is a quiet place, but we are doing expat meetings weekly for food and drinks. Seafood is (of cause) top end of Thailand, but it is a lack of high end western restaurants. It's a few places doing western food with ostrich, aussie deer, New Zeeland Beef etc.
    It is cheap to live here and is a variety of public and private schools. It's more than 30 foreign school teachers, so I don't think the education level is far behind Phuket.

    No beaches in Ranong itself, but you're just a short trip away from the beautiful islands (35 min speedboat).
    For nightlife it's far behind Phuket (which in my opinion is great). We have a bar strip in town with beautiful and friendly staff, no hassle for drinks or money. Then it's some massage shops around with Thai or Burmese birds. Low end brothels with Burmese birds mainly for local Thais and staff from fishing boats. (300 Baht for a full session, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there).
    One little drawback is the lack of English language in the service industry. But all in all Ranong is a great place to live and it's a shame that visa run people only see the shitty places down at the port........
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  6. #6
    Member SLeesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    89
    Thanks LLos ...
    (And Geir)

    Just to clarify I do like a Sunday brunch indeed, for 2 reasons mainly, I tend to prefer a long lunch to a late boozy nighttime session but also like Twin Palms brunch for the quality of grub for the price including free Bloody Mary's, Sake and Port is a fun trip once a month even if it does take 8 games of squash nowadays to get back to the starting weight !

    And at Surin I tend to eat/drink at Audi's next to Catch where large Chang's are 120thb !...but they charge you for ice nowadays !!!!

    So there's a one tick for CM and one tick for Geir's home town too !





    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I am more and more into CM every day.. Much more as a place to live than a place to visit if that makes any sense.. I love the green and wild and the way it feels civilized and planned.. I love I can hop on the bike and in 20 mins in any direction be in lush jungles / rice paddies / lake areas / etc, that are really country and quite lovely, in fact sometimes take my breath away and I have to really pause and absorb just how special this bit of the world looks as it goes through its changing seasons.. Yet I also have multiple malls within minutes of my home with any electronic item or supermarkets with everything from olives to avacados.. Its has everything for a modern life yet doesnt feel westernized or really big city to do so. I choose to live outside the city tho, the old inner city has its traffic woes to be sure. Plus I should be clear that I am a country boy at heart and the green and country aspect is something that really just makes me feel contented and I know not everyone gets that feeling.

    It doesnt have much of a bar scene for mongers, its gogos are almost laughable, and its lacking in twin palms / indigo pearl / etc type hi end brunch places (tho there are 2) which IIRC your a fan off.. The high end here is less flash than the high end of Phuket and caters as much to affluent Thais as it does farangs or tourists. If you feel you would miss that aspect I cant think of anywhere other than Phuket or Bangkok (urban tho) that can provide that in Thailand.

    My impression (and thats personal bubble of course) is the expats here are on average older, perhaps a little less affluent, more pensioning and budgeting long term, and lacking the surin set flash side.. They seem more settled and complain about Thais less.. Many seem much more commited to life more home owners than renters, more people with dogs / kids / some kind of roots... More harmony or less conflict, or however to describe that impression, hard to quantify or nail down just what I mean..

    Other choices you list... CR is a bit too much of a backwater for me, I want to go be served fine dining or have a selection of fancy beers some nights. CR is just too small and backwaterish to me. Samui I enjoy, I think it is my favorite Thai island to visit and great to recharge the beach battery.. But I think its downsides are the same as Phuket and living there might have the same feelings, tho I do think I could probably live there for a while happily. Samui is perhaps Phuket-lite and CR is CM-lite..

    Hua hin was always a big fat Meh for me, nothing about it stands out from its services, its people, its cost of living, its town, or its beaches.. I guess its close to Bangkok but that has zero relevance for me, I guess it holds more appeal for rotation oil guys always going through the airport.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    And at Surin I tend to eat/drink at Audi's next to Catch where large Chang's are 120thb !...but they charge you for ice nowadays !!!!
    Is that supposed to be cheap ??

    3 large Leos (and free ice ) for 139b near the uni !! Gecko Garden does a San mig special night where I think its the same (dont drink San mig so maybe wrong). Hell beer republic has imported draft german wheat beer for 170 - 200b for 500ml glasses (and superb it is too).

  8. #8
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    In Ranong, big Leo/Chang 60-80 Baht........but have to pay for ice.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    For nightlife it's far behind Phuket (which in my opinion is great). We have a bar strip in town with beautiful and friendly staff, no hassle for drinks or money.
    I fall in love several times a night in the Cactus Bar and always smile when I get the bill
    geir and SLeesy like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    Thanks LLos ...
    (And Geir)

    Just to clarify I do like a Sunday brunch indeed, for 2 reasons mainly, I tend to prefer a long lunch to a late boozy nighttime session but also like Twin Palms brunch for the quality of grub for the price including free Bloody Mary's, Sake and Port is a fun trip once a month even if it does take 8 games of squash nowadays to get back to the starting weight !

    And at Surin I tend to eat/drink at Audi's next to Catch where large Chang's are 120thb !...but they charge you for ice nowadays !!!!

    So there's a one tick for CM and one tick for Geir's home town too !
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm whats all this talk? When you gonna ask the real question MINISTER? 55555555555555

  11. #11
    Senior Member Loop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    375
    I find life to be much better without copious amounts of beer

  12. #12
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,640
    ^^^ I can't find life without it..

  13. #13
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    I find life to be much better without copious amounts of beer
    I am going through a boozy period.. And would like a little bit more nightlife action lately..

    But I really do think CMs appeals are much much greater when your into riding bikes, mountain or dirtbikes, doing things like activetravelasia's days (canoes, rafts, mountain bike exploring, etc) even stuff like camping in national parks in the dry season. Thats how you get a lot more out of it.. Its no surprise that people up here like or get into biking and exploring.. If you have kids I think its a great place for them have a balance of country, education, town, etc.. Ben could also comment on the school hes using which I understand hes very pleased with.

    Lots of golf options for those that like to ruin a good walk also.

    But its not got anything resembling the beach club scene, and while theres great 3 and 4 star dining at value pricing, theres not the indigo pearl brunch (holiday inn Sundays not too shabby mind) kind of thing.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Loop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    375
    I`ve always been an adrenalin junky. Sitting by the beach sipping margaritas having someone trying to convince me that "this is the life" is an extremely hard sell...my mind races at well over break neck speed and needs it`s regular fixes 55

    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    ^^^ I can't find life without it..
    Cholesterol and liver function levels back to normal first time for...i can`t even remember.

  15. #15
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    I`ve always been an adrenalin junky. Sitting by the beach sipping margaritas having someone trying to convince me that "this is the life" is an extremely hard sell...my mind races at well over break neck speed and needs it`s regular fixes 55



    Cholesterol and liver function levels back to normal first time for...i can`t even remember.
    Just an honest question then, did you cut back your acohol intake for the sake of your child? From what I've read, your a responsible dad.

    Did you do it for you? Or your child? I'm curious.

  16. #16
    Member SLeesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    89
    Yeh it was supposed to be cheap cos small Heinekens either side (Catch and Diamond) are 150thb !
    Couple of places on Surin beach do small draft changs or bottle of local beer for 50-60thb
    Or B's Thai restaurant away from the beach, BYO and 40thb per dish is the best deal in town ...

    Just FYI ...
    when I came Surin Beach 8 years ago Twin Palms had just opened, there wasn't a beach club in sight and the Thai beach restaurants closed for low season...
    Now the Thai restaurants charge corkage !
    I don't live here cos of the beach clubs, I live here cos I bought a condo at Lersuang circa 8 years ago (oh and the Liquid Lounge!)




    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Is that supposed to be cheap ??

    3 large Leos (and free ice ) for 139b near the uni !! Gecko Garden does a San mig special night where I think its the same (dont drink San mig so maybe wrong). Hell beer republic has imported draft german wheat beer for 170 - 200b for 500ml glasses (and superb it is too).
    Last edited by SLeesy; 6th August 2013 at 13:07.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Loop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Just an honest question then, did you cut back your acohol intake for the sake of your child? From what I've read, your a responsible dad.

    Did you do it for you? Or your child? I'm curious.
    I`d say totally for myself Slam,so family is included too....a healthy body and healthy mind a big plus IMO.
    I`m over the spring break drinking contests,waking up dehydrated and sore head for days for the sake of a bit of silliness.

    I much prefer to be out in the bush pushing my machine,body and mind to their limits these days than sitting around bars listening to....whatever.

  18. #18
    Member SLeesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    89
    Again just For Info my main focus is the kids (4&6years) ....not beach or night life !
    I'm NOT easily bored so as long as I do something during the day, that's OK, generally I'm in bed by 9pm cos 6am start, school run, squash or boxing, lunch /siesta and school runs....

    I think CM definitely requires a two week holiday late September after this school term finishes....

    Whats your thoughts on the Burning/Smog in Feb/March ? How does that effect your view on living there ?



    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I am going through a boozy period.. And would like a little bit more nightlife action lately..

    But I really do think CMs appeals are much much greater when your into riding bikes, mountain or dirtbikes, doing things like activetravelasia's days (canoes, rafts, mountain bike exploring, etc) even stuff like camping in national parks in the dry season. Thats how you get a lot more out of it.. Its no surprise that people up here like or get into biking and exploring.. If you have kids I think its a great place for them have a balance of country, education, town, etc.. Ben could also comment on the school hes using which I understand hes very pleased with.

    Lots of golf options for those that like to ruin a good walk also.

    But its not got anything resembling the beach club scene, and while theres great 3 and 4 star dining at value pricing, theres not the indigo pearl brunch (holiday inn Sundays not too shabby mind) kind of thing.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    I`ve always been an adrenalin junky. Sitting by the beach sipping margaritas having someone trying to convince me that "this is the life" is an extremely hard sell...my mind races at well over break neck speed and needs it`s regular fixes 55
    I sort of mean the beach club chill out choons, cocktail bar, top shelf spirits and dining kind of vibe..

    Theres good dining here, but not that same beach club type thing of course.. I can only think that its Phuket and bangkok (with a minor element of high end in pattaya too I guess.. I am usually too busy in the low end to really vouch for that).

  20. #20
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I sort of mean the beach club chill out choons, cocktail bar, top shelf spirits and dining kind of vibe..
    Sort of on topic. The beach club scene may, and I repeat may be taking quite a hit soon. Hot air or real action, time will tell.

    Personally I think the restaurants and clubs on that strip of land add to the appeal of Surin. The ones that monopolize the beach as well I would like to see curbed.

    Phuket Beachfront Shock: Clear Beach Clubs, Restaurants from Surin Seaside, Vice Governor Orders - Phuket Wan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •