Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nelsonone

Thread: Phuket - Alternative Nightlife Option

Phuket - Alternative Nightlife Option

Apologies in advance if there is already an active thread with this information as I could not find the answer I was looking for, based on the searches performed.

I have been to Phuket on more than my fair share of occasions now and having frequented Patong 8+ times I decided to have a break from the place as Iíve seen it rapidly decline from the place I used to love in the early 2010ís. I have searched for alternatives in the form of Kamala but found it very quiet, too quiet for my liking based on the bar scene Iíve come to know and thoroughly enjoy on my Thailand visists.

Any suggestions and what are your options on what the second best nightlife would be in Phuket after of course the craziness of Patong? Looking to check out somewhere new with the same bar fun in Phuket, located near a beach.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

What time of year are you visiting?

I've always quite liked Kata although more laid back......but I reckon most guys who have known Bangla from the 1990's have noticed the change...especially during high season.

Thanks for the feedback, Iíd be going in late March / early April but do plan on being elsewhere for Songkran

Kamala probably IS the second "nightlife area" of Phuket after Bangla...it has more bars that Kata or Karon....Bangla/Patong is streets ahead of all of them for nightlife alone..the other joints just don't compare

Have you been to Pattaya?...55
    Thin White Duke likes this.

Lol. I have, it is Patong on steroids

Hua Hin and Samui both have reasonable nightlife areas...nowhere near patong's but way better than a Kamala or Kata...Ao Nang Krabi has a pocket of it but I'd say Kamala is better than that

whist Pattaya is the grand daddy of them all for out and out sexpesting...for me BKK will always be the best...I just like the style of P4P up there..nice restaurant/bars with a DJ playing after 10pm-ish and plenty of good looking/relatively sophisticated (by Thai standards) FL's about...especially on Soi Suk 11

Thanks for that, Iíve been to all the suggested places and I know Samui nightlife quite well and will be headed there for the later part of the trip. I was looking for alternatives, mainy somewhere within a beach vicinity.

Iím not crazy about BKK, just too congested for my liking. Personally if there isnít a beach in sight, it does not feel like I am on vacation.

Maybe Iíll have to bit the bullet and give Patong another crack after a 4 year absence... God help me!

Nanai Road has more of an expat vibe and less of a gouge than Bangla.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Nanai Road has more of an expat vibe and less of a gouge than Bangla.
    Where is this place mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in LOS View Post
    Where is this place mate?
    Running parallel with Beach rd about three blocks inland...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Running parallel with Beach rd about three blocks inland...
    You mean the feral bars in otop?

No from Soi Sansabai you pass Banzaan Market and walk a block or so until you get a tee-junction that is Nanai Road.

Or as Nick says you can get onto it from Beach Road.

OK great, thanks - never heard of it but will be sure to check it out the next time Iím in town

Haven't been down to Patong in ages... so not much to add I'm afraid. Still more than happy to stay mostly put in Kamala. I liked the chill atmosphere at the Surin beach clubs on a lazy weekend afternoon, but that scene has closed down of course. But a new one has opened up at the north end of Kamala with pool parties every Sunday at 7PM. No, not the Valhalla kind 555, but usually fun to spend an afternoon there on the weekend. And it's right next to the beach, so a wonder why they are allowed... Still loads of cozy restaurants down the middle of the beach, but a pity that those on the southern end had to close.

I am coming over in April to stay in Patong.
    I have never been to Phuket Town, so have thought about a look around there one day. Any ideas on what to do or places to visit around the town area that might be worth a look

I went back to Patong after a 4-5 year absence and was blown away with how much it had changed; many more people (and I was there in July!), very busy and fast paced (except for 8 am breakfast, fairly quiet ), I found it rained more than I wanted it to and I got sick and some of the old watering holes I really, really enjoyed in the past were long gone HOWEVER I had a great time nonetheless. I did not make it to Kamala on this trip... Maybe next time. I like the Nanai road suggestion above also.

Quote Originally Posted by fotonut View Post
    I went back to Patong after a 4-5 year absence and was blown away with how much it had changed; many more people (and I was there in July!), very busy and fast paced (except for 8 am breakfast, fairly quiet ), I found it rained more than I wanted it to and I got sick and some of the old watering holes I really, really enjoyed in the past were long gone HOWEVER I had a great time nonetheless. I did not make it to Kamala on this trip... Maybe next time. I like the Nanai road suggestion above also.
    My wife and I went back to Patong for the 1st time in about 5-6 years in January

And although I was very sick the whole time, we really enjoyed it