Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By TLandHim
  • 2 Post By TLandHim
  • 4 Post By TLandHim
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Patong vibrant and interesting

Patong vibrant and interesting

Back in Patong a few days and it is still a good place to be.
    Before I bother to post any detail is anyone interested in what happens here in Patong?

Been there a few days ago but for me lost much of its old fun. Looks like a nice streetfood about where the old Tiger was. Maybe tonight I’ll give Patong another visit for diner.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Back in Patong a few days and it is still a good place to be.
    Before I bother to post any detail is anyone interested in what happens here in Patong?
    Yes, please.
    Progressive Liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

Sure, what's the beach like these days?

Please do. Maybe I then bother to endure the 20 minute tuk tuk ride from Kamala 555.

Seriously, I did not necessarily mind the new Bangla last time I was there. But after Seduction burnt I simply just haven't bothered. Will probably make a run over the holidays.

My wife and I enjoyed our brief return visit there.....especially my wife

There is still a lot of the same restaurants and street vendors we went to a decade ago.

My only gripe with Patong is the congestion and traffic

I like to get around when on holiday.....not just sit in the resort
    And everywhere I went in Phuket was a traffic nightmare to get to

Once I was where I wanted to be, I loved it

My wife's famous words after flying from Samui to Phuket and driving to Patong

"Phuket made me lose my relax 5555

Quiet start coming back but some places are as good as ever. Summerbreeze has a duckbreast special @200B that is delicious, Yorkshire still has it's big breakfast with the big hunk of Black Pudding that is delicious Can't find places serving Black Pudding in either New Zealand or USA. and of course Backside in Nanai Rd just to the right at the end of Soi Banzaan is superb value. In Middle Broken Rd, No 1 still serves delicious Thai meals at a reasonable price

We left in July and Patong was empty, it now seems a lot more people here than usual at this early in high season and there is certainly more traffic all over the island. many more Russians and lots of Chinese but at least there are people here.

The beach looked OK this morning with another cruise ship in and when we drove down Beach Rd yesterday there are only a fraction of the people on the beach that were here before the umbrella ban. At least they have got the beach toilets working in the section south of Bangla. Ocean Plaza is still being demolished and a new "long bar" being built there.

Many old familiar faces but Bangla pretty different in the morning.

Our Thai place in
    Waharoa and sundancekid like this.

Finally wandered up to Bangla Rd last night after a lovely Panaeng curry that seemed a trifle hot. Not sure if it just seemed hot because I have been away from chilli for 5 months or just a heavy handed cook. Despite my resolutions I just had to have ice cream to quell the chilli (Great excuse eh!) TL just rolled her eyes and asked the waitress for two spoons.

Bangla was crowded, really crowded at only 9.30pm. Looking a bit closer at the crowd it seemed to be less tourists than touts, literally every second body had a placard in their hand.

The soi on the right by the old Rock hard café has disappeared and leads to a number of "street food" restaurants and could be worth looking at. The lady boy bar and "girls" out the front have disappeared. Further along Robinsons has been replaced by a large video game parlour? or 3D thingy? Wonder how long they will be able to pay the rent as it looked pretty empty.

Old rebuilt Tiger was pretty lacklustre as was New Tiger as far as patrons are concerned. Hard to see the bars are taking a healthy turnover in either place. Parrot Bar was over half empty and didn't see any bars that seemed to be jammed packed and booming.

The old Soi Crocodile probably had less than 1/50th of the number of people that used to jam in there just a few years ago. Never realised just how entertaining and fun that place was. Sitting near the front and watching the newby tourists gaping at the "girls" on the podium was a lot of fun. Some of the "girls" were real entertainers and it was a good time to be had for just the cost of a few drinks or tips. What business guru decided to close that down?

Some of the bars on the left towards the beach were jumping but a couple were empty.

It all sounds a bit depressing but as usual there was a great feel to the place and tons of people to look at. Really attractive tourists and Thai's right through to the just downright weird. No matter how many times we go, we still nudge each other and point out the weird and the wonderful. Definitely one of the great streets of the world still. Having spent 4 weeks out of the last 3 months on Las Vegas Boulevard which we love too, Bangla has that sleazy tacky feel at a fraction of the price, with many many lovely ladies to admire and a few weirdo's as well. And you don't have to walk as far. We love people watching.

One downside that has become even more annoying is the huge numbers of touts, most of whom were thrusting graphic pictured cards headed "f******g" under our noses no matter which way we turned. Half the people in the street are touts. Am I getting too old? It has got to the stage of being offensive even to us, and we love sex and sleaze. What happened to the good old days when they would sidle up to you with a small card and mutter "Ping Pong" show and show the tricks offered and I could ask TL "can you do that"and get a good thump on the arm but a smile none the less.
    tnlawyer, Dkdude, Pablo and 1 others like this.

Finally wandered up to Bangla Rd last night after a lovely Panaeng curry that seemed a trifle hot. Not sure if it just seemed hot because I have been away from chilli for 5 months or just a heavy handed cook. Despite my resolutions I just had to have ice cream to quell the chilli (Great excuse eh!) TL just rolled her eyes and asked the waitress for two spoons.

Bangla was crowded, really crowded at only 9.30pm. Looking a bit closer at the crowd it seemed to be less tourists than touts, literally every second body had a placard in their hand.

The soi on the right by the old Rock hard café has disappeared and leads to a number of "street food" restaurants and could be worth looking at. The lady boy bar and "girls" out the front have disappeared. Further along Robinsons has been replaced by a large video game parlour? or 3D thingy? Wonder how long they will be able to pay the rent as it looked pretty empty.

Old rebuilt Tiger was pretty lacklustre as was New Tiger as far as patrons are concerned. Hard to see the bars are taking a healthy turnover in either place. Parrot Bar was over half empty and didn't see any bars that seemed to be jammed packed and booming.

The old Soi Crocodile probably had less than 1/50th of the number of people that used to jam in there just a few years ago. Never realised just how entertaining and fun that place was. Sitting near the front and watching the newby tourists gaping at the "girls" on the podium was a lot of fun. Some of the "girls" were real entertainers and it was a good time to be had for just the cost of a few drinks or tips. What business guru decided to close that down?

Some of the bars on the left towards the beach were jumping but a couple were empty.

It all sounds a bit depressing but as usual there was a great feel to the place and tons of people to look at. Really attractive tourists and Thai's right through to the just downright weird. No matter how many times we go, we still nudge each other and point out the weird and the wonderful. Definitely one of the great streets of the world still. Having spent 4 weeks out of the last 3 months on Las Vegas Boulevard which we love too, Bangla has that sleazy tacky feel at a fraction of the price, with many many lovely ladies to admire and a few weirdo's as well. And you don't have to walk as far. We love people watching.

One downside that has become even more annoying is the huge numbers of touts, most of whom were thrusting graphic pictured cards headed "f******g" under our noses no matter which way we turned. Half the people in the street are touts. Am I getting too old? It has got to the stage of being offensive even to us, and we love sex and sleaze. What happened to the good old days when they would sidle up to you with a small card and mutter "Ping Pong" show and show the tricks offered and I could ask TL "can you do that"and get a good thump on the arm but a smile none the less.
    I didn't notice that many Thai touts last year but I was annoyed at all the young Farang/Russian girl touts working for drinks as touts

Me and my buddy were talking about people watching, specifically weird people watching, last night

Best place for watching weirdos is those railing bars at the entrance to Nana plaza
    Petter likes this.

It's great to get an update on the scene in Patong. It's been over two years since I last visited, and I'm thinking it may be time for another trip to LOS early next year. I've got other places to visit now, but Patong will certainly feature at the beginning and end of my trip.
    The last couple times I was there were close enough together that I saw many of the same faces at the bars and go-go clubs. It was fun to have that familiarity with a few of the girls. Next time might be a completely new experience, but that could be fun in its own way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I decided to go to Patong for 4 or 5 days right after NYE

Because I can get a direct flight right to Hong Kong after

I'm actually looking forward to it
    Last time we only stayed 1 nights

This way we can settle in

Last time I had a rental car and hated traffic
    This time will just taxi in and rent a scooter
    Which I think will make it much nicer for me

I'd prefer Kata or Karon but Ao likes being able to walk around Patong