Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The land of smiles?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  2. #2
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,046
    Wow, an article written by a Thai, that I agree with. Gutsy journalism for the Bangkok Post, IMO.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    This just in: Voranai Vanijaka has not returned home from work last night and is assumed missing...

  4. #4
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Wow, an article written by a Thai, that I agree with. Gutsy journalism for the Bangkok Post, IMO.
    Add him in facebook and get just his stuff every other day or so.. Every .Single. Piece. well written, challenging, and insightful..

    Actually gives me hop that there will be some reforms and smart people to challenge the nepotism and corruption patronage systems.

  5. #5
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    my wife does not know any of the King's names
    when i ask her if it was so and so( yes, i know a few) she stares at me blankly and says she only knows #'s

  6. #6
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Same here... she-wok only knows the numbers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Ok, just read the article... agreed with the above, would not be surprised at all if there was a "mysterious disappearance" of this guy... hope he is careful and diligent about his own personal security.

  8. #8
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    yeah, he is spot on........................ohh maybe we have to start the education discussion again. DODGER????
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Actually gives me hop that there will be some reforms and smart people to challenge the nepotism and corruption patronage systems.
    Change in traditional societies is extremely gradual. Revolutions do very little and often cause more harm, and positive reforms are either outright crushed or sabotaged.

    Any positive force is going to come from the outside I'd imagine. As the internet gets more widespread and it's contents more available, it opens more and more opportunities for learning that are far more accessible to the poor than a good education. And despite what they say about the internet, there is a wealth of good, accurate information on there as well. Wikipedia for instance has the potential to be more open, transparent and unbiased than a history book written by a single professor, since everything on it is passionately debated by all sides and constantly kept up to date.

    But the biggest problem I see in Thailand is the massive communication gap between Thais and the rest of the world. It's a chasm. Despite being one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, English remains unknown to the majority of Thais. Hell even a lot of BGs who come across it everyday still speak it very poorly. Of course guys who dumb their language down for them do them no favour, but that's another topic.

    As far as reform goes, I personally believe that the addition of English as a second language to the school system is both realistic, and at the same time has the potential to shake up Thai society more than the addition of any other subject or reform in government or any other area in society. Give people the tools they need to educate themselves and half your works is done.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  10. #10
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    yep...Khun Voranai has been writing these sorts of insightful pieces on Thai society and politics for years..

    as Sef suggested "friend" him on FB....he is always well worth the read

    http://www.facebook.com/voranai.vani...=browse_search

  11. #11
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Change in traditional societies is extremely gradual. Revolutions do very little and often cause more harm, and positive reforms are either outright crushed or sabotaged.

    Any positive force is going to come from the outside I'd imagine. As the internet gets more widespread and it's contents more available, it opens more and more opportunities for learning that are far more accessible to the poor than a good education. And despite what they say about the internet, there is a wealth of good, accurate information on there as well. Wikipedia for instance has the potential to be more open, transparent and unbiased than a history book written by a single professor, since everything on it is passionately debated by all sides and constantly kept up to date.

    But the biggest problem I see in Thailand is the massive communication gap between Thais and the rest of the world. It's a chasm. Despite being one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, English remains unknown to the majority of Thais. Hell even a lot of BGs who come across it everyday still speak it very poorly. Of course guys who dumb their language down for them do them no favour, but that's another topic.

    As far as reform goes, I personally believe that the addition of English as a second language to the school system is both realistic, and at the same time has the potential to shake up Thai society more than the addition of any other subject or reform in government or any other area in society. Give people the tools they need to educate themselves and half your works is done.
    actually, one of the things Thailand has going for it is their command of English
    go to Latin America and you barely run into anyone who speaks English, even in a 5 star hotel
    go to Vietnam

    kids are also learning English much more in school than our wives/gf's

  12. #12
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    actually, one of the things Thailand has going for it is their command of English
    go to Latin America and you barely run into anyone who speaks English, even in a 5 star hotel
    go to Vietnam

    kids are also learning English much more in school than our wives/gf's
    Thailand's English skills lowest in SEA - The Nation

    Poor English skills could leave Thais out in cold | Bangkok Post: news

    Why Does Thailand Have the Lowest English Standard in South East Asia? The Education System is to Blame - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member sundancekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,142
    Perhaps I’m going out on a limb here, but don’t think Thailand is the only country infested by the plague of ignorance these days. And I think what he says about the red shirts and the yellow shirts can easily be applied to any western country as well.

    Don’t have my ear to the ground here as much, but “mythology masquerading as history” certainly has a familiar ring to it. Like say most of western history? But yes, there are levels of ignorance, so don’t dispute at all that Thais have a lesser understanding of history and politics. Especially international events.

    Then again, I’m reminded of my “ideologically-challenged” (euphemism??) relatives who are absolutely clueless about any events. Past or current. The irony of it is that they now have a greater choice as to where to get the information from, but that has probably made them even more clueless and narrow-minded. Not very optimistic about the future of the west either in this regard, and could set up some equally scary scenarios. The way we're ditching science these days certainly is. Just saying.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 14th August 2013 at 22:07.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    actually, one of the things Thailand has going for it is their command of English
    go to Latin America and you barely run into anyone who speaks English, even in a 5 star hotel
    go to Vietnam

    kids are also learning English much more in school than our wives/gf's
    I wonder if that is more out of spite..

  15. #15
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    i don't need to read articles, just going by experience in different countries that I have been to
    compare Hong Kong to Thailand in tourist areas, which one will you get by with English easier?
    run into a Thai here in Vancouver learning English and 8 out 10 times they will have already known more English than their Japanese/Chinese counterparts

    my stepson and niece are not in international schools and are learning proper English in Thailand


    now, i don't have tons of experience with the super educated of all the SEA countries, and that may be where the gap is

  16. #16
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Ranong have 30+ English teachers, but the kids I've seen still don't speak English. I don't think they get pushed to learn it by their parents, they do a bit of memorizing in school, but would probably loose face it they start to show "to much" interest for it. Think it's based on the old Thai Krung Thai bullshit. They feel they are above us, and can still continue doing that as long as they stay in their own country.
    That may be a bit racist from my part, but a lot of them seem to be way to focused on their own bellybutton.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Ranong have 30+ English teachers, but the kids I've seen still don't speak English. I don't think they get pushed to learn it by their parents, they do a bit of memorizing in school, but would probably loose face it they start to show "to much" interest for it. Think it's based on the old Thai Krung Thai bullshit. They feel they are above us, and can still continue doing that as long as they stay in their own country.
    That may be a bit racist from my part, but a lot of them seem to be way to focused on their own bellybutton.
    not what i have experienced from the younger generation
    have had a few "cousins" ask me to help them with their english work when in the village
    have been approached a few times in CM by students to practice english

    times have changed, kids see the world now.......know they need english

  18. #18
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Kids see the world??? On TV maybe. The chance for a kid to ever get a passport and leave Thailand is rather small. Might be a bit bigger if they open the borders in 2015, but I guess that will advantage the poorer more (Cambo/Laos?Burma).
    It still seem to be only the Thais with higher education that speak decent English, of the kids I know in my neighborhood no one speak English.
    Of all the young "service" girls coming to Ranong to work in restaurants 17-25 y.o. no one speak English. I've talked to quite a few of them and they are coming from all over Thailand. Most of them working for agencies and are working on contracts here for a few months.
    Maybe it's getting better among the young kids???

    I wonder what is the impression of the parents on this forum??? Does your kids friend speak English??
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Kids see the world??? On TV maybe. The chance for a kid to ever get a passport and leave Thailand is rather small. Might be a bit bigger if they open the borders in 2015, but I guess that will advantage the poorer more (Cambo/Laos?Burma).
    It still seem to be only the Thais with higher education that speak decent English, of the kids I know in my neighborhood no one speak English.
    Of all the young "service" girls coming to Ranong to work in restaurants 17-25 y.o. no one speak English. I've talked to quite a few of them and they are coming from all over Thailand. Most of them working for agencies and are working on contracts here for a few months.
    Maybe it's getting better among the young kids???

    I wonder what is the impression of the parents on this forum??? Does your kids friend speak English??
    i meant they see the world through the internet and such. the world is global, Thailand is no different
    hell, my nephew is 2 years old and he knows how to use Skype!
    my wife probably didn't know where Canada was and this kid is on a video conference to Canada daily! that has it's effects

    as for English, my stepson does not speak conversational English yet, but he learns proper English daily, as does his cousin in the village school

  20. #20
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Yeah, but the kids involved with foreigners in some way are not representative for the normal Thai kids.
    soupdragon and Geespot like this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •