Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By TLandHim
  • 1 Post By dawsey
  • 1 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By marc26
  • 2 Post By Dkdude

Thread: Patong - Phuket, why do we go back?

Patong - Phuket, why do we go back?

Everyone will tell you about the craziness of Patong and many tales about the "in your face" sex and although it is certainly there, a lot of other things make it attractive.

I love seeing all the very attractive dressed girls and women including the tourists. Sit in a bar on the street or just outside having a coffee in "Coffee Club" or similar and there is a constant procession of lovelies. Luckily I have a wife that enjoys sitting and enjoying the view too.

The traffic fascinates me. Been driving bikes and cars for 20 years here and it is still an adventure each trip (albeit a dangerous one) You have to be a 100% alert and still need a lot of luck. Where else do you see people drive up the wrong side of the road, drive around traffic islands the wrong way, totally ignore road rules and common sense?

Deciding at 1am that you are peckish and throw on Tshirt and shorts and off down Soi Sansabai for a snack or burger?

Only a few of the many things I like.
    What keeps you going back even though the changes are rapid?
    MrDK and Dkdude like this.

I have not been to Phuket/Patong for quite some time as I found a little wilder place.
    For those looking relaxation with girl friend/wife or a more laid back monger place I have always (when there) found it to be the better of all places in Thailand.
    It is not the cheapest, but also not as much pricewise as some may claim. Tuk-tuks may be the exception.

No one is really going back though 5555

But Ao and I went back last year for the 1st time in a long time and even though I was sick the whole time I really enjpyed it

We are heading back for a few days soon, only so she can find a friend she's been looking for, for a long time

As for traffic, I don't know why you'd find it appealing at all
    It's the worst part of Phuket
    As Ao said "Phuket make me lose my relax " 555

My favorite part is it's a great mixture of all types of new places but still the same old places still there that we been going to for almost 15years

And you are certainly correct about the tourist girls
    Last year I never seen so many pretty girls in Patong before

Looking forward to it....

I doubt I'll return.................I got jaded with Patong.

Those never to return to days and nights with Nicke at MTB, Geir at Hells Bells, Gee at Love Bar, Trent at Dingos and Kev in Champagne will never be repeated. Those were such fun times with fun guys and everything and everyone moves on.
    The lovely beaches and exciting nightlife can't cover for the bullshit double pricing, and false smiles,the touts, the suicidal idiot driving, the tuktuk rip offs, the simmering violence if you are in the wrong place, and the general expense of Phuket now.

I can find equally good beaches, hot sun and great nightlife (I'm not, and never have been a sex tourist) within a couple of hours flying time instead of that long 12hr drag to Phuket.
    But most of all...........................there is a whole world out there to explore. Why confine yourself to Patong, Phuket, or even Thailand ? Not me.

I won't say never ever, and after a few more years I may change my mind, but Vietnam, parts of Europe and Costa Rica are more on my radar than Thailand.
    Dkdude likes this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    I doubt I'll return.................I got jaded with Patong.

Those never to return to days and nights with Nicke at MTB, Geir at Hells Bells, Gee at Love Bar, Trent at Dingos and Kev in Champagne will never be repeated. Those were such fun times with fun guys and everything and everyone moves on.
    The lovely beaches and exciting nightlife can't cover for the bullshit double pricing, and false smiles,the touts, the suicidal idiot driving, the tuktuk rip offs, the simmering violence if you are in the wrong place, and the general expense of Phuket now.

I can find equally good beaches, hot sun and great nightlife (I'm not, and never have been a sex tourist) within a couple of hours flying time instead of that long 12hr drag to Phuket.
    But most of all...........................there is a whole world out there to explore. Why confine yourself to Patong, Phuket, or even Thailand ? Not me.

I won't say never ever, and after a few more years I may change my mind, but Vietnam, parts of Europe and Costa Rica are more on my radar than Thailand.
    We stayed in Patong for 5 days last January, stayed within walking distance to Bangla and didn't really see any of those negative issues but I think they are still there

False smiles..........maybe it's because Ao worked there but it was the opposite for us. We ran into so many people that are still working in Patong and it was really nice.
    Their biggest response was Ao was a little girl before, now she a woman 555
    And there was a genuine appreciation to seeing each other after such a long time

As for all the old boys and old times.........I enjoyed it but life moves on. I will always meet up with old friends in Thailand if given the chance but I am just as happy/or more happy to be out meeting new people

I doubt I'd would have been or would go back to Thailand if I didn't have family there but I do and still have a really great time every time I go

That being said, it's only once a year for me............I want to go other places
    I am probably taking Ao to Cuba and Mexico in February, her 1st time to those countries
    MrDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    We stayed in Patong for 5 days last January, stayed within walking distance to Bangla and didn't really see any of those negative issues but I think they are still there

False smiles..........maybe it's because Ao worked there but it was the opposite for us. We ran into so many people that are still working in Patong and it was really nice.
    Their biggest response was Ao was a little girl before, now she a woman 555
    And there was a genuine appreciation to seeing each other after such a long time

As for all the old boys and old times.........I enjoyed it but life moves on. I will always meet up with old friends in Thailand if given the chance but I am just as happy/or more happy to be out meeting new people

I doubt I'd would have been or would go back to Thailand if I didn't have family there but I do and still have a really great time every time I go

That being said, it's only once a year for me............I want to go other places
    I am probably taking Ao to Cuba and Mexico in February, her 1st time to those countries
    If I have a chance I would really like to visit Phuket again.
    I used to stay for free at the Hilton Acadia in Karon and went to Patong nightly. If you add up the coming and going by tuk-tuk and sending the LT back in a tuk-tuk I could nearly have paid to stay at Summer Breeze and just walked.

About Cuba, I know you can easily fly from the city of your new residence, BUT flying over the US you passport details are reported to DHS no matter what country issued it and the old trick of having stabled in a US passport is no longer.
    Tourist travel to Cuba remains prohibited for US citizens and permanent residents. You must obtain a license from the Department of Treasury or your travel must fall into one of 12 categories of authorized travel. (This from the state department).
    This is likely to change, but be careful for now.

What about traveling through Canada or Mexico to get away with independent stays in Cuba?
    Gutsy American travelers have long illegally traveled to Cuba by way of Mexico and Canada. Because there are no restrictions from the Mexican or Canadian governments regarding travel to the island, Americans can fly in and out of Havana from either destination without an approved reason. Cubajet.com offers round-trip tickets to Havana from several Mexican and Canadian destinations and allows you to book flights with a U.S. credit card. Because Cuba does not restrict Americans from entering the country, your U.S. passport will still be valid upon arrival to the island. However, things can get tricky upon re-entering the U.S., since it is illegal to lie to Customs officers about where you’ve been. If you try to hide your trip to Cuba, you will be violating federal laws and can face serious punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    If I have a chance I would really like to visit Phuket again.
    I used to stay for free at the Hilton Acadia in Karon and went to Patong nightly. If you add up the coming and going by tuk-tuk and sending the LT back in a tuk-tuk I could nearly have paid to stay at Summer Breeze and just walked.

About Cuba, I know you can easily fly from the city of your new residence, BUT flying over the US you passport details are reported to DHS no matter what country issued it and the old trick of having stabled in a US passport is no longer.
    Tourist travel to Cuba remains prohibited for US citizens and permanent residents. You must obtain a license from the Department of Treasury or your travel must fall into one of 12 categories of authorized travel. (This from the state department).
    This is likely to change, but be careful for now.
    One of the categories is "to support the Cuban people " which just staying in what's called a Casa Particular which is staying in someone's home and paying for the accomodation

I would not do that per se, but I would be booking an Airbnb but with the owner directly
    You can't book through Airbnb because it is a US company and considered like staying in a hotel.
    I've done the research and US Immigration is fine with staying in an Airbnb directly through the owner suffices as "supporting Cuban people "
    Although many people say that a lot of times they don't even question you besides the normal questions when coming back from anywhere

I will actually be flying from Tampa not Canada
    I won't be returning back to US but when I next travel to US I will bring my receipts just in case I was flagged from my trip to Cuba

Thanks

I honestly do not know all the rules, but they are in process to be further restricted.

From Airbnb.com:
    Can I book an Airbnb listing in Cuba?
    Airbnb has been granted special authorization by the US Department of Treasury that allows us to offer authorized travel services to non-US persons going to Cuba.
    US regulations require that Airbnb collects basic travel details from any Airbnb guest traveling to Cuba. Because of this, you’ll need to provide your home address and the reason for your trip before submitting a reservation request for any listing in Cuba.
    If you’re interested in learning more, the US Treasury site provides detailed information on the current Cuba sanctions: http://www.treasury.gov

Just be careful.

This is why I enjoyed Patong last year.....

There is a bunch of new places that add to the place
    There is a new beach club, Kudo Beach Club, right on the beach across from The Savoy Seafood
    It has a pool you can hang out and drink during the day and a nice dinner menu

It was nice to eat right on the beach in Patong
    That was always seriously missing in Patong

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...hu_Phuket.html

But we still went to our favorite little Italian restaurant Da Rico

The Thai restaurants on the beach near the Tsunami Monument are pretty damn good
    And at night we still are eating at the tables set up on Pee Rd by Hat Patong Rd

Believe me there is still a lot of the same places there

We only went to the new Soi Tiger one night but had a blast
    And it was hopping

And we stay down the quiet end on Hat Patong and it's pretty damn peaceful

And I actually felt Patong was more lively last year than it was back in the old days
    As TLH alluded to, just sitting somewhere and people watching is great
    MrDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    I honestly do not know all the rules, but they are in process to be further restricted.

From Airbnb.com:
    Can I book an Airbnb listing in Cuba?Airbnb has been granted special authorization by the US Department of Treasury that allows us to offer authorized travel services to non-US persons going to Cuba.
    US regulations require that Airbnb collects basic travel details from any Airbnb guest traveling to Cuba. Because of this, you’ll need to provide your home address and the reason for your trip before submitting a reservation request for any listing in Cuba.
    If you’re interested in learning more, the US Treasury site provides detailed information on the current Cuba sanctions: http://www.treasury.gov

Just be careful.
    Yeah that's why you need to book it direct with the owner off the Airbnb website
    So it's listed there but then you contact them and pay them directly
    Many actually list it as US legal to let you know they are open to a direct booking

And US Immigration treat that as a Casa Particular because you are paying a Cuban directly

And there are plenty nice ones with tons of reviews (50-150 reviews) so they are legit

Cuba?
    We were very disappointed with Cuba and Phuket became our main stamping ground after a trip to Cuba in about 2005.
    Been to many other places but Phuket is hard to beat for 3 weeks or more, just so many places to go and do.

Check the weather with Cuba, at least in Phuket we only get floods and tropical downpours and the odd Tsunami.
    In Cuba we got caught in Hurricane Wilma, interesting but wouldn't want to repeat it.

Be real interested in your take on Cuba and whether the secret police have relaxed their hold.

I have a love/hate relationship with Patong.... but I still keep on going back 555. I love the way everything is right on your doorstep. I allways stay in the area at the end of Soi Sansabai and everything is within walking distance. A good tip for anyone travelling on their own, is to go to the Yorkshire Hotel and use the pool and gym there ( at a fee ). It is a hangout for a lot of expats, and people like myself, who are there for an extended stay. It's easy getting to know people that way. I have built up a circle of friends there through the years, and to be honest, they are the reason I keep comming back. Now to the hate bit.. Some of it has already been covered here. I will ad to that the garbage and the merceny attitude that is prevalent. These days you won't even have sat down in a bar before the requests for lady drinks drowns out everything else. I used to really get in to the bar scene and have a lot of fun, but it has more and more been pissing me of. I usually go fo a month in Nov/Dec, and then a month again in March. This year I skipped the March one because I was fed up, but I am back again this Nov/Dec and have already booked March ass well, mainly because of the freindships....
    MrDK and dawsey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Cuba?
    We were very disappointed with Cuba and Phuket became our main stamping ground after a trip to Cuba in about 2005.
    Been to many other places but Phuket is hard to beat for 3 weeks or more, just so many places to go and do.

Check the weather with Cuba, at least in Phuket we only get floods and tropical downpours and the odd Tsunami.
    In Cuba we got caught in Hurricane Wilma, interesting but wouldn't want to repeat it.

Be real interested in your take on Cuba and whether the secret police have relaxed their hold.
    Well in doing my research I decided that I only am interested in Old Havana hence why we are staying only 3 days
    Varadero looks beautiful and convenient but it just didn't seem to have that great of atmosphere outside the AI hotels

I want to show my wife Mexico, specifically Tulum
    And there is no direct flight from Tampa where we will be for business

So it's a 1hr flight TPA-HAV and a 1hr flight HAV-Cancun
    So an easy stop on the way to Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    This is why I enjoyed Patong last year.....

There is a bunch of new places that add to the place
    There is a new beach club, Kudo Beach Club, right on the beach across from The Savoy Seafood
    It has a pool you can hang out and drink during the day and a nice dinner menu

It was nice to eat right on the beach in Patong
    That was always seriously missing in Patong

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...hu_Phuket.html

But we still went to our favorite little Italian restaurant Da Rico

The Thai restaurants on the beach near the Tsunami Monument are pretty damn good
    And at night we still are eating at the tables set up on Pee Rd by Hat Patong Rd

Believe me there is still a lot of the same places there

We only went to the new Soi Tiger one night but had a blast
    And it was hopping

And we stay down the quiet end on Hat Patong and it's pretty damn peaceful

And I actually felt Patong was more lively last year than it was back in the old days
    As TLH alluded to, just sitting somewhere and people watching is great
    You could eat on the beach in Patong 15 years ago. You had the small restaurants North of Impiana.
    And Savoey had an extension on the beach nearly opposite.
    I was in Patong in June and Da Rico seemed to be gone. Will be back in November and ask the boss of "Sun Smile" what happened with Da Rico (same owner).
    Also Navrang Mahal has new owners and has not the same quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    You could eat on the beach in Patong 15 years ago. You had the small restaurants North of Impiana.
    And Savoey had an extension on the beach nearly opposite.
    I was in Patong in June and Da Rico seemed to be gone. Will be back in November and ask the boss of "Sun Smile" what happened with Da Rico (same owner).
    Also Navrang Mahal has new owners and has not the same quality.
    Wow, that would suck
    Although it wasn't as good as usual last January

I didn't like any of the places on the beach in Patong
    This Kudo Beach Club was great when we went last time

cant see anything have changed

Thailand is more and less the same,still easy going and quite cheap ,we just grow older IMO

The old days with curiosity and the MTB feeling is gone ,but that couldn't last forever

You find new places and different environment to hang out ...but thats it wherever it BKK,Pats or Phuket
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night