Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Koh Samet

Koh Samet

Hey a thread about Thailand!

Back on PI no one ever wrote much or at all about Koh Samet that I ever remember

I know I heard about it before but figured it was still just a shitty island that was a bit nicer than Pattaya that guys in Pattaya took day trips to

Then Ao went about 3 years ago and she liked it
    I saw some pics but not much of the beach

Well I would say Samet had the clearest water of any place I have ever been in Thailand and I am bummed that I never went all these years

So Ao, my buddy Jim and I went in February
    From Bangkok it's about a 2 1/2 hours car ride
    The best thing, IMO, is when you get to the ferry you can book a speedboat right to your hotel or if not on the beach as close as they can for 600baht return
    It only took about 12-15mins to get to where our hotel was

Our hotel was about 2 blocks off the beach but if your hotel is on the beach they will drop you off and pick you up right at your resort

We stayed at Pandora Resort about a 7min MB ride to the centre right before the main beach
    It had a vibe like a big Soi Nanai hotel
    The pool and restaurant area was really good
    The rooms a bit basic for me and we actually left after 3 days even though we already paid for 4 days because the bed was destroying my whole body!

https://www.agoda.com/en-ca/pandora-...=-218#lightbox

The main beach, Ao Sai Kaew, has a bunch of restaurants right on the sand of the beach
    Some are really big but it's a big wide beach so it doesn't impose on the beach
    The service is really good at most places and the prices, for being right on the beach are very reasonable

The rest of the beaches, and some of the nicest ones are more deep into the National Park so you need a MB

Also accomodation all over seems a bit dated and not many luxury hotels
    But you have that island vibe so it's not really that bad

https://www.google.com/search?q=koh+...h=774&dpr=2.63
    dawsey likes this.

Thanks for this. Wife and I are going to Thailand next summer to visit her family and we're taking all the kids (my three and her two). Her family lives in Bangkok and we're looking for somewhere within driving distance of Bangkok to spend a day or two at the beach. Will add this to the list.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Thanks for this. Wife and I are going to Thailand next summer to visit her family and we're taking all the kids (my three and her two). Her family lives in Bangkok and we're looking for somewhere within driving distance of Bangkok to spend a day or two at the beach. Will add this to the list.
    Well you aren't going to beat Koh Samet

That Pandora has big 2 bedroom apartments if you don't need to be on the beach for very reasonable rates
    And there is a nice beach within 5mins walk

But then with family you are reliant on the taxi buses

As a family I'd suggest staying on Ao Wong Duan beach
    There is 4 or 5 resorts on the beach so you can hang on that beach for 2 days and never have to leave because there is a bunch of restaurants at the resorts

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ao+wo...w=1680&bih=881
    Last edited by marc26; 17th April 2019 at 23:18.
    tnlawyer likes this.