Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My next venture...

  1. #1
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168

    My next venture...

    As our business on Koh Phayam is seasonal I'm looking into another venture. I might take on one of Ranongs most famous restaurants together with a friend. If it's going to happen we are going to split the work between us so we get enough time to recover. 3-4 days work a week during low season would suit me just fine, and would hopefully stop me from spending all my savings from high season on KP.
    So far it's just rumors that the restaurant is up for sale, but it's coming from people that are close to the family that are running it. Will have a chat with my future partner tomorrow, and hopefully we can get things sorted.
    If we can't buy the restaurant, I will rent a smaller place by myself for next low season. I got a good western and Thai cook already, so that problem is sorted.
    It will be good to have a foot inside a business in Ranong if I finally manage to sell the guesthouse on KP.

    Ranong got a huge potential, and so far it's not many places that manage to make good western food.
    Will get back to it later when I know if and when it's going to happen.

    Cheers
    Geir
    after likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    Good luck with the venture mate. Hope it works out.

    How far a drive is Ranong from Phuket? 3-4 hours?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Good luck with the venture mate. Hope it works out.

    How far a drive is Ranong from Phuket? 3-4 hours?
    Google says 4 hours and 10 minutes from Patong, I will say between 4 and 6 hours depending on traffic.

  4. #4
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Thanks!
    Yeah, about 4 hours........visa run destination no 1 :-)
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  5. #5
    K2
    K2 is offline
    Super Moderator K2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,543
    Good luck with the new venture ... seems to be a good year for pastures new.
    Its My Life .....!

  6. #6
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Hard to come up with new ideas......In a place like Ranong I still have to count on Thai customers, and hey, they all have to eat 5555
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    That's great Geir. Good luck to you. On the Western side of the menu are you going to focus on any regional items? Italian, German, etc. I don't know anything about Ranong but I think a successful restaurant should be a destination for some specific items.

    Also. Which clientele do you think will be the bulk of your revenue. Thais or Westerners?

  8. #8
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    It will be mostly Thais for food and westerners for drinks. Middle/upper class Thais loves steaks and pizza, but also brings their own bottles of booze. I will do BBQ nights (all you can eat as I do on KP) with ribs, porkchops, burgers, sausages and extras. Also make set menus like American style BBQ ribs.
    I watch Thais ordering the most expensive on the menu many times....think it's a part of their face/show off mentality.
    Anyhow, the menu depends on the location and space, if we can't get our hands on the big famous restaurant we have to improvise a bit.....
    Loop likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    It will be mostly Thais for food and westerners for drinks. Middle/upper class Thais loves steaks and pizza, but also brings their own bottles of booze. I will do BBQ nights (all you can eat as I do on KP) with ribs, porkchops, burgers, sausages and extras. Also make set menus like American style BBQ ribs.
    I watch Thais ordering the most expensive on the menu many times....think it's a part of their face/show off mentality.
    Anyhow, the menu depends on the location and space, if we can't get our hands on the big famous restaurant we have to improvise a bit.....
    can you make enough just off of food if a good % is bringing their own booze?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    I'd say limit it to wine or the number of bottles they can bring in, but rules like that don't really fly in Thailand, do they?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  11. #11
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Yeah, the profit is good on food. Also pretty good on mixers and ice, but I would prefer to sell the booze as well. If I didn't let the Thais bring their own bottles, I would loose them as customers. That said they don't bring their own beer, so I will make money on that.
    Profit on food is sometimes 2-300% so that should keep it going. Then expats and western tourists would hopefully make the bar part of it working.
    Last edited by geir; 14th September 2013 at 10:24.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Dodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    How would you run it during high season??
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Profit on food is sometimes 2-300% so that should keep it going. .
    wow, that is high
    i think most restaurants in states aim for 70%(from what i read, no expert) but i guess that is where low fixed costs(labor, rent) come into play in LOS

  14. #14
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    How would you run it during high season??
    Depends on my partner, but I have to be there a few days a week anyway.......So a bit back and forward between KP and Ranong.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    wow, that is high
    i think most restaurants in states aim for 70%(from what i read, no expert) but i guess that is where low fixed costs(labor, rent) come into play in LOS
    Well I was talking on food alone......labor, rent is not considered in that numbers.
    If we get the big place, we are talking 10+ staff, so 60-70K baht a month. The biggest expense for sure.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    That would put Ranong back on the map for me, I have been doing visa runs to KL as it is far easier and not much more expensive but a night out in Ranong with good food and the pleasure of your company (is that enough ass kiss for a discount ?) I would reconsider.

  17. #17
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    That would put Ranong back on the map for me, I have been doing visa runs to KL as it is far easier and not much more expensive but a night out in Ranong with good food and the pleasure of your company (is that enough ass kiss for a discount ?) I would reconsider.
    10% off if that is the closest you get to a kiss 555
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    That would put Ranong back on the map for me, I have been doing visa runs to KL as it is far easier and not much more expensive but a night out in Ranong with good food and the pleasure of your company (is that enough ass kiss for a discount ?) I would reconsider.
    Oh that's what I forgot to ask. I though you had to leave the country for visa runs. Or is it because people can cross into Burma and back from there?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

  19. #19
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Oh that's what I forgot to ask. I though you had to leave the country for visa runs. Or is it because people can cross into Burma and back from there?
    Yeah, it's just a 15 min boat trip to Burma......( solly Kev, Myanmar)
    K2 likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    You better hang onto the missus then to run the guesthouse when you're not there ... (Solly) 55555!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •