Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GPS in Thailand

  1. #1
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,630

    GPS in Thailand

    do these work well in English?
    is it worth paying extra to have it on a drive?
    although my drive will be fairly simple now, but don't mind paying the 5usd/day

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    not got it on your phone??
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    not got it on your phone??
    i have google maps with GPS yes

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,267
    Unless Google Maps in Thailand have been improved since March, you can not get directions read out. You have to look at the map in order to find the right way. That should not be a problem, though, especially as you are driving in a car. I had a couple of occasions where I missed the road, as I was not able to watch the map all the time when driving on my scooter. Nonetheless, I will use Google Maps the next time too.

    But if you want to be told where to turn - and not by Ao, your mother in law, or the kids - you should get a "real" GPS with maps for Thailand.

  5. #5
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post

    But if you want to be told where to turn - and not by Ao, your mother in law, or the kids - you should get a "real" GPS with maps for Thailand.
    yeah, that won't work!
    GPS from the car rental it is!!

    thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    I use a Garmin loaded with the Thailand map and it works just fine in English.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    I use a Garmin loaded with the Thailand map and it works just fine in English.
    I have the same but I find the satelites are lost quite often

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I have the same but I find the satelites are lost quite often
    I have been driving about 24000 km in Thailand, have never lost the signal on my Garmin.

    The two last trips I have been using Route 66 on my phone, that app have been better than the garmin.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...66.maps5&hl=en

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,580
    Do you mean a Garmin GPS or the Garmin app downloaded on your iPhone?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Do you mean a Garmin GPS or the Garmin app downloaded on your iPhone?
    Before I used a garmin GPS, now i use the Route 66 app on my mobile phone.

  11. #11
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I have the same but I find the satelites are lost quite often
    Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    I have been driving about 24000 km in Thailand, have never lost the signal on my Garmin.
    Like Andre I have never lost the signal on the unit. It's normally accurate to a few metres.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I have the same but I find the satelites are lost quite often
    Odd.. Mine never does.. Do you have it in an odd spot or do you have mirror window tints.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    I have been driving about 24000 km in Thailand
    Done about half that in the last 2 months..

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Odd.. Mine never does.. Do you have it in an odd spot or do you have mirror window tints.
    Could be that, closed windows, but don't remember if tainted.
    Also, reception on iphone is less than on proper installed GPS system

  15. #15
    WTF
    WTF is offline
    Member WTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    81
    Try driving the myriad of diversions and 3 way off ramps of the motorway system in and around Bangkok without a good GPS on dash,Where you go onto an off ramp and then there are more than 3 choices.
    Have a Garmin and its perfect could not do it anywhere as easy with a phone based GPS system.
    Loosing satellites why would you as long as your not in a under ground car park.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    could not do it anywhere as easy with a phone based GPS system.
    Actually they have come a long way.. Garmin on the phone is pretty much the same as garmin on a dedicted unit..

    But the screen / charging / etc means its much better to have a system simply set up and there.

  17. #17
    WTF
    WTF is offline
    Member WTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Actually they have come a long way.. Garmin on the phone is pretty much the same as garmin on a dedicted unit..

    But the screen / charging / etc means its much better to have a system simply set up and there.
    True soon the phone will be all you need camera gps phone etc.
    I bought one at Big C rather than the 200bt a day hire got a good one for 90.00 US was a cheaper option that the 120.00 to buy Thai map download from the Garmin site for my one I have here at home.
    Went to Pattaya central to buy one in that high rise tech market they were selling no name crap for about the same as the Garmin I got so I do not recommend that as an option.

  18. #18
    Senior Member kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    366
    Window tinting on front screens will cause sat drop-out. We had our DMax pre-installed tint removed and then tested 4 different films to apply as a top of screen 'sun-shade'. I draped each sample over the GPS and drove around the block until I found one with no sat signal degradation.

    iGo software gets us around BKK and all city areas with ease but only good as a general guide in very remote country areas.
    Cheers, Rob.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Honeyseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    137
    Google Maps just keep getting better by the day IMO. With the integration into your account on the phone it makes it so much easier to recall places you were before or save a place etc.

    In fact the Google Now function will automatically open up the maps and start navigating if you just say something like 'Navigate to Earl's Court Tube Station' or whatever.

    I haven't tried 'navigate to nearest massage shop' yet though!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Window tinting on front screens will cause sat drop-out. We had our DMax pre-installed tint removed and then tested 4 different films to apply as a top of screen 'sun-shade'. I draped each sample over the GPS and drove around the block until I found one with no sat signal degradation.

    iGo software gets us around BKK and all city areas with ease but only good as a general guide in very remote country areas.
    Good. That is my problem, in remote areas I want to find the guesthouse I booked, a nice viewpoint, etc...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •