Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Your favourite haunts in Bangkok?

Your favourite haunts in Bangkok?

What are your favourite places to go to in Bangkok? Bars, clubs, restaurants, coffee shops, shopping etc.

I've only been once years ago and would like to spend a few nights there this trip but don't want to waste all my time trying to suss it out. Something a bit more relaxed than Nana and Soi Cowboy would be great for the night scene and any other tips you have for Bkk in general!

Maybe a quick rundown of your typical 3 or 4 day visit to Bkk would paint a good picture!

Cheers!

I like Soi Nana in general (not the complex) as it has some friendly casual bars on either side of the road. It's a good place to start I think before venturing into Nana or Cowboy.

Thanks NH, I'll probably stay in that area anyway so I'll take a wander around. Any hotels you recommend?

I can only speak about my own experience and where I stayed, as I've only been there once as well.

So as per my last visit.... I recommend Soi 4

In my opinion that whole area can be as relaxing or as messy as you make it to be. I sat down in bars and restaurants and had the most mellow, people watching hours of my time there, and I also had the messy gogo crawl nighs at the end of it(only 2 of em but they were good). But you can avoid those if you want. Just Not sure you'd want to 555

But then BKK is a massive city and it'll probably pay off to explore it a bit. Hopefully you'll write about it once you do
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Took Lai Dee Soi 16.

if you want more upmarket
    Oskar in Soi 11 and The Long Table
    i really like The Long Table

but don't know how good Long Table is for a single guy but they have good tapas/apps
    so can have a few beers and check it out
    Oskar does have girls hanging out

Bangkok Restaurants Fine Dining | Long Table Bangkok | Trendy Bars and Restaurants

I like the vibe around the Nana area as well, not neccessarily the plaza itself.

Gullivers on Soi 5 is really good, very good menu; great pool tables and plenty of TV screens if sport is your thing. I like Gullivers a lot. Plenty of girls kicking about too.

I used to like the Thermae but that was closed last time I was there; shame.

I like SOi Cowboy for the go-go side of things, it's expensive but I generally feel pretty safe down there and I've never seen any bill padding or silliness. There is a BJ bar down Cowboy as well, or so my mate tells me

Also, Khao San road will be to some tastes. Not to mine but it's also not the hippy / backpacker dive that it used to be. There are some pretty cool bars and if you are in good company it can be a great place to spend a couple of hours. The few soap dodgers that are around get on my tits so I don't care for the place, others see it ver differently.

If someone is travelling to Bangkok by taxi from Pattaya is there a best time to do this , Morning / Afternoon , or doesn't it really matter ? Will it make any difference on a Saturday as opposed to a weekday ?
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Thanks guys, good to have a starting point when I arrive!

Soi 4, Nana area, Oskar, Long Table & Gulliver's all sound good and then possibly Khao San Road. It's not that I'm after more upmarket per se, just less in your face with the constant pestering that goes with it really.......well at least before midnight anyway!
    Last edited by Honeyseeker; 3rd October 2013 at 05:02.

What's the Nana area like during the day? anywhere good to hang out or does it not start going until evening? I've got from 12ish afternoon until 11 at night, on a Saturday, to kill some time.

tons of afternoon activity on nana.....Bar 4, Hilary's, Morning Night, Big Dogs just to name a few who have broads and booze

some of the gogos in NP get going as well
    LivinLOS likes this.

What Nels said. There are short time rooms in Nana too, should the need arise

Plus there are good food options. Noodle stalls at the entrance to the plaza, Gullivers over Sukhumvit if you want some air con and a western menu. Starbucks if you want some coffee; it's a great area.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    If someone is travelling to Bangkok by taxi from Pattaya is there a best time to do this , Morning / Afternoon , or doesn't it really matter ? Will it make any difference on a Saturday as opposed to a weekday ?
    Best time traffic wise? I guess I would want to avoid the 'rush hour' so after 9am and before 4pm but I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference. Weekends should be a little better but I would not change my plans to suit the traffic. Allow plenty of time, take a book and let the driver drive I think.
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I like the vibe around the Nana area as well, not neccessarily the plaza itself.

Gullivers on Soi 5 is really good, very good menu; great pool tables and plenty of TV screens if sport is your thing. I like Gullivers a lot. Plenty of girls kicking about too.

I used to like the Thermae but that was closed last time I was there; shame.

I like SOi Cowboy for the go-go side of things, it's expensive but I generally feel pretty safe down there and I've never seen any bill padding or silliness. There is a BJ bar down Cowboy as well, or so my mate tells me
    That would be 'AfterSkool' 555

Quote Originally Posted by bawdy View Post
    That would be 'AfterSkool' 555

Bet you've been in Naughty Boy's Corner down the back more than once khun Bawdy 555

PadMc also swore by a soapie joint on Soi 4 called Annie's. I wanted to check it out but didn't get the chance. Apparently one of the oldest places around and has been there for some fifty year or some such. Pad was saying there are old pics on the walls of the way back days.

It's just around the corner from Bar 4, heading back down the Soi, on the same side, in that square garden area.

Pad can tell you more about it. I only heard from him, but seems like a good place you can pop your head in during the day.

Their site sure looks good.

http://www.anniesbangkok.com/
    Last edited by Bacon; 3rd October 2013 at 18:21.

I went to Annie's last year and it was an OK experience. The place is showing it's age IMHO but still good fun. I prefer the soapie places in Patts though.

As long as the girls aren't showing their age

Still, a good daytime option in BKK.

I'm only gonna list the places I tend to go

Bars Nana Soi 4
    Morning night, Hillary 4 and Hillary 2, hanging out with friends and playing pool, H2 good for live music and more of club feel now since they expanded the seating area. Handy having a 20% discount card for all Hillary Group establishments
    Big Dogs and Lucky Lukes for spotting ago go dancers going to work and laughing at the Jappers with their LB's
    Jools - great expat bar, great banter, definitely the best British food by a country mile. 120 for a grey goose
    Ago gos - Rainbow 1,2,3,4 Erotica, don't do Spankys or Angelwitch, shows bore me
    Ball in Hand for pool
    Soi 1 just at family mart chop shop for Panang Moo, Soi 3 beside Bamboo bar for kebabs, Soi 3/1 chop shop for Krapow moo kob or pad krapow moo and som tam Thai
    just outside bully for noodle soup, saen lek moo daing excellent

Suk Soi 11
    I live on this soi so spend a fair bit of time early evening
    Nightclubs / bars - Oskars for pizza (best in BKK if not anywhere) decent wine and cocktails. Firehouse for burgers, Angel city at the bottom of my condo, American breakfast, burgers, subs an sandwiches. Says its open 24hrs but it's not!!
    Q Bar is ok but very pricey, Australian bar for hot waitresses, Bash nighclub is the hip place in town deffo, Climax disco for getting down and dirty with freelancers. Levels very busy towards end of week and weekends, mix of mainstram farang Thai's and freelancers
    Charley Browns for margaritas
    Business Inn Keranee Cafe for 24hrs Thai food

Soi 7 - New Wave for pool, beers and freelancers

Suk Soi 15 Beer Vault for quality imported beers such as Leffe and Hogaarden

Thong Lor for Bacco Italian restaurant and bunch of bars around Thong lor, high end but a good diversion now and then

Cowboy, dont go much these days, becoming a bit of a tourist trap, lots of gawping couples and farang females, rip off prices in the Iranian ago gos, Bacccara downhill quality not what it was, Shark is okay but some of the girls seems to have been there forever, Tirac okay when they have the coyotes

Thermae - some amazing talent in there but really is weird how they literally line up and just stand there, again Japs over run the place

Patpong - dont got down much but Bada Bing, Black Pagoda, Electric Blue all on Patpong 2 are okay

Spicy - taxi there Prathunam, late night haunt, bit of a problem with Africa drug dealers from time to time

Mixx - good on a wednesday night as it's ladies night in BKK

Saphan Kwai best to go toward end of week, quite a few ago gos, some nice chicks. Be warned you will find it difficult to make progress if your Thai is not up to speed, almost no one speaks English. Careful if gir sits with you, you are charged for her time to sit in 15 min blocks. TBH I think the quality in say Nana is significantly better

A few peeves............Suk is getting seriously over run with Arabs, they are pretty harmless but they dander and get in your way. The burkas and the steel plates across the faces is not an endearing sight. Japs have a big influence on the he way some of the precious ago go dancers behave. Suk 11 is a fkin traffic nightmare with nowhere to walk and VW Camper bars that seriously do my head in. Sundays and Mondays are quiet nights in BKK with lots of BG's & Ago go taking their day off. Monday is a no street vendor day on Suk, weird seeing how wide the pavements actually are
    Last edited by Geespot; 3rd October 2013 at 20:48.
    nelsonone and Steve@thaib like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast