Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 230
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Brave ? Stupid ? Or just looking for trouble ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member faultytowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,496

    Brave ? Stupid ? Or just looking for trouble ?

    Story from PhuketWan :

    Patong Taxi Rumble: Aussie Tells His Side

    PHUKET: An Australian man accused of trying to become a Phuket taxi driver burst into tears today as he told police he feared he was going to die at the hands of the Patong taxi ''mafia.''
    Patong Taxi Rumble: Aussie Tells His Side - Phuket Wan

    Not sure what my take on this is , first part of the story could be an innocent guy getting hassle from Thais simply for giving mates a lift but the guys later actions etc leave him open to a lot of possible repercussions , both legal and 'payback' ?

    He went to the ''ute'' and grabbed a BB handgun from inside, waving it around to frighten off the drivers.

    He says the ammunition found in the car - which does not fit the gun - was left from an outing he went on with his young daughter to a Phuket shooting range a couple of days ago.

    He denies any knowledge of the knuckle-duster and knife combination that was allegedly also found in the vehicle.

    But he can't really be a 'bad guy' because...........

    He plays the role of househusband, while his wife works. He told police today that he does the washing and the housework

  2. #2
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    His side of the story ties up with the CCTV footage at least.


  3. #3
    Senior Member steve w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    645
    why did he not get back in the big car and drive off?

    even though it looks like his story is true from the vid.

  4. #4
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    even though he doesn't seem technically wrong, the guy is a trouble maker
    carrying all those weapons around, getting out of the Ute when he could have sat in it and taken pictures

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    He's Aussie. They have to act like Crocodile Dundee since the movie came out...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    He's Aussie. They have to act like Crocodile Dundee since the movie came out...
    True I went to new York on my own once.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The cold Wong
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    True I went to new York on my own once.
    I sat one row behind Paul Hogan on a flight from LA to Pittsburgh - does that count ? 555

  8. #8
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    That's outrageous behaviour...he should have to pay a 250 baht fine and not be able to hold a taxi licence for 15 days.....555
    WarProfiteer likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member WarProfiteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    I'm shocked...


    ...


    ... that the video footage didnt "disappear" during the course of the investigation.
    LivinLOS likes this.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    even though he doesn't seem technically wrong, the guy is a trouble maker
    carrying all those weapons around, getting out of the Ute when he could have sat in it and taken pictures
    Seems the first thing.. about the knuckle duster and knife.. Complete fabrication..

    So he had a toy BB gun.. Hardly the crime of the century ??

  11. #11
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Seems the first thing.. about the knuckle duster and knife.. Complete fabrication..

    So he had a toy BB gun.. Hardly the crime of the century ??
    where does it say the other stuff is a fabrication?

  12. #12
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    where does it say the other stuff is a fabrication?
    Where does he do any of that on the video ??

    His statement.. and the fact the police couldnt find it.. and the police later dropped any charged for that..

    Basically the knuckle duster / knife / hitting the woman part.. was entirely based on what the bunch of tutktuks who attacked him said / claimed.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    So the gun saved him..Interesting...

  14. #14
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,046
    If he has been here for three years, he should know better....not too smart. Guilty of stupidity, but nothing else.
    Mr Rooter likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Dodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    If he has been here for three years, he should know better....not too smart. Guilty of stupidity, but nothing else.
    So not guilty of pointing a gun with intent at another, in a public place then?

    My opinion, he went looking for trouble and found it.
    Mr Rooter likes this.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    So not guilty of pointing a gun with intent at another, in a public place then?
    It was a BB gun, intent to do what ? They are legal, I have one which I bought on Phuket.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    My opinion, he went looking for trouble and found it.
    So a mob beating for taking photos is OK ?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    It was a BB gun, intent to do what ? They are legal, I have one which I bought on Phuket.

    So a mob beating for taking photos is OK ?
    Okay, take your BB gun to a local policeman stick it in his face with menaces and see if he thinks its an offence or not?

    Did you read the Phuketwan description? if so, please explain to me why he went back to take pictures? did he expect a friendly reception or not? I think it is very apparent he didn't expect a friendly reception, hence the pictures, so my opinion stands he went looking for trouble and found it.
    Last edited by Dodger; 8th October 2013 at 10:42. Reason: missed out 'it'
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member soupdragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bang Tao
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Okay, take your BB gun to a local policeman stick it in his face with menaces and see if he thinks its an offence or not?
    Police and taxi drivers are not the same Bernie. If a bunch of thugs are beating me and possibly threatening my life I wouldn't hesitate to point a gun, toy or real, at them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Did you read the Phuketwan description? if so, please explain to me why he went back to take pictures? did he expect a friendly reception or not? I think it is very apparent he didn't expect a friendly reception, hence the pictures, so my opinion stands he went looking for trouble and found it.
    I don't dispute that. The thing is was their reaction justified ? They could have used restraint told him to go away or even used the law by calling the police. Instead they very quickly decided that his actions justified a mob beating. Do you think that is OK ?

  19. #19
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    If some one or group of someone's, threaten you, at a place you need to return to, would taking a photo in a public place, to lodge a formal complaint and record the issue beforehand not be a sensible course of action in a normal place.

    The fact that taking pictures in public, has him beaten, then falsely accused, then instantly arrested ( they catch him in minutes, yet taxis blockade a resort for 2 hours and they don't come) and perhaps charged when he was the one attacked.. says it all no.

    Does anyone think the taxi drivers are going to be charged for giving false statements now ??
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 8th October 2013 at 11:28.

  20. #20
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    So not guilty of pointing a gun with intent at another, in a public place then?

    My opinion, he went looking for trouble and found it.
    Yes, then you agree with me....guilty of stupidity..5555

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •