Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Khon Kaen or Udon Thani

Khon Kaen or Udon Thani

I have to stop for two days on my way to see the Naga fireballs. Should I stop for two days in Khon Kaen or in Udon Thani? And what to see when there?

Ive only been to Udon but I do like the place. Not a whole lot to see or do but an easy place to spend a couple of days. We had some Naga stuffin Patong, will post videos when I can

What is "Naga stuffin Patong"?

I been to KK 6 years ago and UT last year and i like UT much better.

Ok, I will stay the two days in Udon Thani. Thanks to both of you.

I kind of agree. I spent 2 days in Khon Kaen a few years back, stayed at the Pullman/Sofitel. Actually, I had a good time = hotel was good, some bars around, but wasn't so great like I'd be "hey dude, you gotta go there!" so probably Udon Thani is the better choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    What is "Naga stuffin Patong"?
    Turkey stuffed with fire balls?

Naga stuff ( stupid tablet typos! ) its a dragon dance thingy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Naga stuff ( stupid tablet typos! ) its a dragon dance thingy
    Nagas are those snake like dragons you see in pictures and often as a balustrade adornment on temples etc.. Theres also that odd photo of us servicement holding a huge eel like creature that was taken from the mekhong in the 70s (tho they have some kind of smirks and you wonder if its a set up)..

Naga fireballs are strange self lighting fireballs that come out of the mekhong.. Possibly volatile gasses that light on exposure to air ?? I have wanted to go look with my own eyes since hearing about them also.

When we were in Nong Khai a couple of years ago there was a "Naga Festival", they had that dragon dancing ( I thougt "naga" meant dragon ) and I assume its a time of the year thing but I wouldnt know for sure. I saw that pic this week, looked like a giant catfish/eel. Never thought about it being staged

The "Queen of Naga's" as shown in the soldiers picture (Naga means dragon, I think), is actually called the Oar Fish.

They have been spotted and captured in the Mekong River, as well as other parts of the world.

I like the (myth) that the Mekong fireballs are caused by the "Naga" belching or farting, and the methane explodes upon reaching the water surface. 5555

The second photo was taken in Baja, Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I have to stop for two days on my way to see the Naga fireballs. Should I stop for two days in Khon Kaen or in Udon Thani? And what to see when there?
    If you are going to Nong Khai for this viewing don't miss this uber weird park Sala Kaeo Kou - plenty of Naga statues.

Amazing! - Review of Sala Kaeo Kou, Nong Khai, Thailand - TripAdvisor

Speaking about statues, what's up with all the weird rabbit statues outside/along the road near KK airport? I guess they are still there?

Dragon in Thai is Monkorn / Mungorn.. The naga is the serpent with the dragon style head.. So they do have a difference.

And you also sometimes see them in 3's 5's and 7's on one body..

Song Kla has a thing through town with a tail at one end.. 'loops' of body at places and the head with a fountain down at the ocean..

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    If you are going to Nong Khai for this viewing don't miss this uber weird park Sala Kaeo Kou - plenty of Naga statues.

Amazing! - Review of Sala Kaeo Kou, Nong Khai, Thailand - TripAdvisor
    Thanks, I will make sure to go there. I am staying for three days in Nong Khai - staying in Udon Thani three days first (couldn't count in my first post).

Regarding the fireballs, they are supposed to only air one day of the year. I hope to get to see somne, but otherwise it is a rather big festival up there so that itself should be worth it. Some 500,000 people for the festival.

So those guys at Suwaanapoon airport, are tugging on a three-headed "Naga", to churn the ocean (milk)?

Attachment 1932

I think they are seen over a period of nights.. I know they are making them a tourist deal and tie it in with a special night, but think thats during the peak of when they happen rather than a precise night.

I am sure that they do not happen only one night, but that is what many Thais believe. And don't you try to tell them about methane

As noted, Nagas can be commonly found above the lintels in Khmer Temples and above balustrades, these pics from around Buriram;

DSCF0561.jpgDSCF0577.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast