Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SLeesy
  • 4 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By Geespot

Thread: The New Face of Phuket ?

Question The New Face of Phuket ?

An article in today's Sunday Times Travel Section :

Phuket Goes Fabulous

A new wave of supercool beachclubs is turning Thailand's naffest island into a hipster haven
    Sorry , can't link to the article as Times on-line is a "pay site" but here are the beachclubs mentioned.

Xana Beach Club With Attica

CATCH Beach Club

bimi Beach Club - Just 'holding' page at the moment

Diamond Beach Club Phuket | Beaching with Style

No idea if this is old news to local expats but perhaps they could supply some info/reviews etc.

Does this mesh with the already established "New Face of Patong"?

What about places like Banana? I know the old Lime Green (?) closed, but is anything gaining traction along Beach Road? Banana always seemed a bit far to walk to, without much reward...

Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    An article in today's Sunday Times Travel Section :

Sorry , can't link to the article as Times on-line is a "pay site" but here are the beachclubs mentioned.

Xana Beach Club With Attica

CATCH Beach Club

bimi Beach Club - Just 'holding' page at the moment

Diamond Beach Club Phuket | Beaching with Style

No idea if this is old news to local expats but perhaps they could supply some info/reviews etc.
    it'd be good to know how they do
    the only one i know id Catch and it looked always dead unless they had some special party once every couple of months

me personally, i love Beach Clubs like they have in Bali

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    it'd be good to know how they do
    the only one i know id Catch and it looked always dead unless they had some special party once every couple of months

me personally, i love Beach Clubs like they have in Bali
    Catch is the "beach club" from the Twin Palms hotel. If you stay there, entrance is free, drinks and food (which wasn't bad) can be signed on your hotel bill, otherwise there is a hefty entrance fee.

Rekata next to Mom Tris Boathouse in Kata Noi Hot Deals | Re Ká Ta

It will be interesting to see if the DSI wins out on beach encroachment down at Surin...both Catch and Diamond would have to go

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the DSI wins out on beach encroachment down at Surin...both Catch and Diamond would have to go
    so do they do well?

i think great additions to the Island if they get popular but without encroaching on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Letters have been sent to all the businesses on that strip between the road and the beach 'asking' them to close and dismantle. I shocked none have complied.

I think the club's add to the beach for tourists but they always push too far and start claiming the beach in front of the club as well. Having said that businesses have for a long time paid large fees to the orator to put beach loungers and sun shades in front of their business for their customers.

I have lunch down Surin Beach (cos I sort of live here) once a week.
    I think the beach clubs are OK as long as there are a few Thai restaurants around that sell Large Chang at "OK" prices ....
    What most of the clubs have built on the beach side of the road are pretty Temporary structures that you could (maybe) dismantle in a day and put back in a bout the same time frame ....

Most of Surin Beach Thai restaurants would only open high season 10 years ago ...That was pre Catch/Beach Clubs....

Personally I find the beach clubs music too loud for lunch/chatting so go eat in a Thai place !
    Evilbaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    I have lunch down Surin Beach (cos I sort of live here) once a week.
    I think the beach clubs are OK as long as there are a few Thai restaurants around that sell Large Chang at "OK" prices ....
    What most of the clubs have built on the beach side of the road are pretty Temporary structures that you could (maybe) dismantle in a day and put back in a bout the same time frame ....

Most of Surin Beach Thai restaurants would only open high season 10 years ago ...That was pre Catch/Beach Clubs....

Personally I find the beach clubs music too loud for lunch/chatting so go eat in a Thai place !
    I agree.
    It's this crazy idea that the louder the music the more people will come - to a Restaurant FFS!

Most people go to a restaurant to relax, eat good food and enjoy pleasant conversation.
    There is no ambience with blaring noise.

^^ but why buy a sound system that goes up to '10', and only turn it up to '4'? Thai logic-waste of money...

Maybe they are shooting for the under 60's crowd..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I like the idea with one of these beach side resorts with DJ's and banging house music, a chill out area, overflowing with TG's game for it etc ..............i.e. Space Ibiza comes to mind or the old school of Patong pool parties 5555555555555
    SLeesy likes this.

Agreed re a Patong Beach Club on the beach full of bikini'ed Bangla Birds but doubt they'd make it before sundowners....

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    One of the new CATCH clubs, BIMI I think it is, is aiming for the mid 20's crowd ....
    but at that age don't they have to work (or finish they're schooling!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    ^^ but why buy a sound system that goes up to '10', and only turn it up to '4'? Thai logic-waste of money...
    sorry but any decent amp goes up to 11