Thread: Roundtrip North Thailand.

Roundtrip North Thailand.

I am doing a short week roundtrip with a hired car in Northern Thailand.
    First day from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. Underway visit to White temple.
    Second day from Chiang Rai to Chiang Saen, probably via Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Khon.
    Third day from Chiang Saen to Mae Ai and Thaton.
    Next morning up to Pai for two days, I like Pai.
    Then back to Chiang Rai.

Just looking for some suggestions about things to see, visit, view points etc.
    All hotels are booked. Found that hotel prices in Chiang Mai went up compared to last year.

Come on guys. Nobody has been around there?
    I am interested to know If the trips Phu Chi Fa to Chiang Khong and Chiang Khong are worthwile. If one of those is not worth the detour I can drive Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong without Phu Chi Fa, or even straight to Chiang Saen without Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Khong.
    Also anything interesting in Chiang Rai other than the white temple?

Sorry, can't help - 10 years since I was in that area. I would be very inerested in up to date info and pics, might be on my agenda next year

I personally would call the Chiang Rai / Phu Chi Fa and round to Chiang Kong / Chiang Seang to be a near highlight.. But then I think that from a riding perspective.. Its great curvey roads.. Often following the ridge lines so with solid views.. And covers both a flat bit on the south loop and some height at the Phu Chi Fa and river style and Chiang Kong.. I might feel less into it in a car than outside in the wind where each corner is a part of the roller coaster..

I also think the Fang / Doi Mae Salong / Chiang Rai bit is well worth it too.. Theres great caves at Chiang Dao (and some beautiful country) that are deep and go on underground for a long way and can be done in a loop.. Perhaps go up that way from Chiang Mai instead of the fairly dull and predictable 118 ?? Theres also the loop on this road to the west that goes high up really fast, I was told it has some crazy steep road into a national park but I havent done this one..

The white temple is for sure worth seeing, its a major tourist draw, but thats exactly what turns me off.. Tour buses, big groups, people everywhere snapping pics.. Done it, seen it, not in a hurry to see it again...

I think its a great 3 day explore.. But you need to be happy to just absorb the country scenery.. Its great in its rugged wild scenery, its views, and at the right time of your its green etc.. But if your travel companion gets car sick.. Its a 1000 corners and little actual 'attractions' to stop and take photos to post on facebook to prove what a good time you had.. If you get my meaning..

Yes
    If you like an easy walk,about 10 to 15 minute drive on the 1208, from the white temple is Khun Khon waterfall,in a national park.
    Its an easy 1.5 ks walk from the parking lot to the falls,you can swim there also.

The other pic is from Chiang Dow caves,you will pretty much pass them whichever way you do the drive to Pai.

I know you are familiar with Pai,but the sulfur pools at this resort can be use on a day pass Bhat 100 I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Theres great caves at Chiang Dao (and some beautiful country) that are deep and go on underground for a long way and can be done in a loop.. Perhaps go up that way from Chiang Mai instead of the fairly dull and predictable 118 ??
    It is the 107 you mean? Do you have GPS coordinates to the caves, or can you describe how to find them? I think I will go that way and take a look at the caves on the way.

Thanks all, will search for the places.
    Will go from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via 118, passing Khun Kon and white temple.
    Next day From Chiang Rai via Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Khon to Chiang Saen.
    Third day from Chiang Saen via Mae Sai and Doi Tung and Tathon to Mae Ai.
    Next morning to Pai passing Fang, maybe Doi Ang Khang, and Chiang Dao.
    Travel companion doesn't get car sick, she can drive also... and as long as her pic is taken before every viewpoint and she can buy a T-shirt of every place (to show of in the village) she is happy, that is if a few cold Heinekens are waiting for her in the evening.
    Last edited by Captain; 17th October 2013 at 23:49.

Maybe as a suggestion besides the white temple you can visit the black house. Not yet been there myself but heard nice things about it.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    ~

The white temple is for sure worth seeing, its a major tourist draw, but thats exactly what turns me off.. Tour buses, big groups, people everywhere snapping pics.. Done it, seen it, not in a hurry to see it again...

I think its a great 3 day explore.. But you need to be happy to just absorb the country scenery.. Its great in its rugged wild scenery, its views, and at the right time of your its green etc.. But if your travel companion gets car sick.. Its a 1000 corners and little actual 'attractions' to stop and take photos to post on facebook to prove what a good time you had.. If you get my meaning..
    Totally agree ... best part is the 'gilded hong naam' ... the actual temple is a modern tourist clip-joint. Give it a 100 years and ppl may marvel at its beauty!
    Cheers, Rob.