Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geespot

Thread: Best Internet Phone Provider/Package in Thailand ?

Best Internet Phone Provider/Package in Thailand ?

Would be very grateful of some good advice on what is the best phone provider and best value for money package for 3G internet on the mobile phone in LOS from BM's experiences......

I use AIS for 700 a month.. I think theres lower consumption packages too...

Had the number 10 years, kinda stuck with them.

Thanks Lil is that unlimited ? I have just gone for True Move as a test which is 299 baht per month for 500 MB

The main reason I am trying it now is because I want to travel bit more and have downloaded the app on iphone for the VOIP which works sweet on wi-fi connections (so can make and receive calls to UK on iphone)..... but really want to be able to use it everywhere not just wi-fi areas

Not sure how feasible this is really gonna start testing it and see if I can get a half decent phone call going over VOIP on True 3G.....

It is billed as unlimited but others have told me after a few gigs it gets a speed cap down to a slower speed.. I dont use gigs and gigs of data as its a backup to other net connections so dont see that.

I can use video skype and video hangouts over 3G as long as I am in a real 3G area without issue. It does drop to edge in some areas but much much less than it used to after a rollout for nationwide 3g in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    It is billed as unlimited but others have told me after a few gigs it gets a speed cap down to a slower speed.. I dont use gigs and gigs of data as its a backup to other net connections so dont see that.

I can use video skype and video hangouts over 3G as long as I am in a real 3G area without issue. It does drop to edge in some areas but much much less than it used to after a rollout for nationwide 3g in this year.
    Nice sounds like should work nicely then if video works !......would true have as good a network coverage as AIS do u think ?

True had 3G when AIS / 12Call was only edge.. But has a smaller coverage pattern. Now AIS has a nationwide one I would guess its going to win the coverage argument.

Cost / Speed arguments.. Or coverage where it matters (where you are) I have no clue.

Yeah i suppose pretty similar then.............I used an AIS stick in the village in Isaan and couldnt get fcuk all signal but am sure would have been the same for True as well......just too far out in the boonies i think

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    Yeah i suppose pretty similar then.............I used an AIS stick in the village in Isaan and couldnt get fcuk all signal but am sure would have been the same for True as well......just too far out in the boonies i think
    That's one reason many farangs don't live there or stay longer than "necessary" - live in your village, not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    That's one reason many farangs don't live there or stay longer than "necessary" - live in your village, not theirs.
    Sure! Went for a week.....felt like a year !!

AIS 2G 2100 probably has the best coverage, number of packages available. I have 'unlimited' 5GB package. You get 3G speed for 5GB then unlimited Edge and Wi Fi Hotspots, which are all over the place, usually housed in 7 Eleven and Family Marts. Price is 899 baht + 7% Tax per month. Speed depends where you are but can be anything from 3mbps to 19mbps (best ive seen)

I just got True as well as this is being rolled out all over Isaan, including the villages, whereas AIS havent got their act together in rural areas. Pricing pretty much same as AIS with same package. Speeds in BKK anyway not as good as AIS but downtown here about 4mbps what ive seen

Cant comment on DTAC never had it and dont know many people who have it

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    See my post about True..................3G being rolled out in all the Isaan rural areas

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    AIS 2G 2100 probably has the best coverage, number of packages available. I have 'unlimited' 5GB package. You get 3G speed for 5GB then unlimited Edge and Wi Fi Hotspots, which are all over the place, usually housed in 7 Eleven and Family Marts. Price is 899 baht + 7% Tax per month. Speed depends where you are but can be anything from 3mbps to 19mbps (best ive seen)

I just got True as well as this is being rolled out all over Isaan, including the villages, whereas AIS havent got their act together in rural areas. Pricing pretty much same as AIS with same package. Speeds in BKK anyway not as good as AIS but downtown here about 4mbps what ive seen

See my post about True..................3G being rolled out in all the Isaan rural areas
    Is this happening now up towards Chumpae/ Khon San, Graham.

Would be fucking awesome when we make the yearly jaunt up there, to keep myself and our daughter occupied for a few hours.

Thanks for the update/s.

Yip all around Chumphae, Khon San, Phu Pa Man, Nanongthum area. 1st time had 3G at the house

Posters everywhere, saw them all the way between Khon Kaen & Nong Kai and on way back home via Nong Bua Lampu
    snowy likes this.

Thanks for the info ! Think I will try both now as AIS does sound like its getting some good speeds !

Quick update on this regarding Isaan

Looks like AIS 2100 3G have upgraded out in the sticks. All the way from Khon Kaen city to the village excellent speeds around 8mbps download and 2mbps upload. 1st time in over 10 years I've had proper 3G at my house

I'm off to Nong Kai today via Chumphae & Nong Bua Lampu, so we will see how the coverage goes & further update on this

Quick update on this regarding Isaan

Looks like AIS 2100 3G have upgraded out in the sticks. All the way from Khon Kaen city to the village excellent speeds around 8mbps download and 2mbps upload. 1st time in over 10 years I've had proper 3G at my house

I'm off to Nong Kai today via Chumphae & Nong Bua Lampu, so we will see how the coverage goes & further update on this
    Thanks for the update G, definitely looking forward to this, when we are back in " town " again.

Just a side note also, I really chumphae, always enjoy it there.