Thread: Passing away of His Holiness the Supreme Patriarch S P Nyanasamvara - whats closed?

Passing away of His Holiness the Supreme Patriarch S P Nyanasamvara - whats closed?

Don't think forced closures but we are looking at an extended mourning period now to 23rd November

Most places in BKK were closed last night e.g. bars etc. a small number were open including some nightclubs. Not sure how this is going to play out here in BKK

Any reports from elsewhere in Thailand as to what's happening in terms of closures if any

I had the same question. A quote from the Bangkok Post:

Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew, the national police chief, asked entertainment venues across the country to refrain from holding joyful shows and performances for 15 days, from Oct 25 to Nov 8, to mourn the... etc. etc. The 15-day period could be further extended, he added.

Mourning period for late Supreme Patriarch extended | Bangkok Post: news.

I like going to Titanium here in BKK, that was closed last night, not sure if closed again tonight but doubt it. My assistant tells me that there will be music, etc,. just it means that government employees need to wear black. That doesn't seem to gel with the above quote, but then I can't tell when it's gonna rain either, sometimes the Thais just know...

Ye it isn't practical or economic to think they can just close the place down for an extended period. It's bad enough when it's 2-3 days. but this being the land of idiocy you can never tell 55555555555

does anyone know if this will effect govt offices?
    Ao has to do a bunch of official appts for her father's death/insurance.....the holiday last Monday delayed things for her, i hope this doesn't also

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Ye it isn't practical or economic to think they can just close the place down for an extended period.
    Just wait until the big event.. Thats going to be mad..

Ye it isn't practical or economic to think they can just close the place down for an extended period. It's bad enough when it's 2-3 days. but this being the land of idiocy you can never tell 55555555555
    Yeah, well if you think about it, if his statement were taken as rule and enforced then that is really a powerful position! He could shut down the economy, impact tourism, etc. etc., but maybe it is just one of those respect/face things where he HAS to say it but the enforcement lax or non-existent. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    does anyone know if this will effect govt offices?
    Ao has to do a bunch of official appts for her father's death/insurance.....the holiday last Monday delayed things for her, i hope this doesn't also
    Haven't seen anything that Gov offices will be closed. Just the observance of wearing black etc

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    That might be one minor item to be bothered about.................there might be a whole world of sh1t other than that to deal with, which may necessitate leaving for a while..................hard to call whats gonna happen

^ Cambodia is gonna get real busy when that eventually happens

all bars and entertainment venues open on Samui last night...I asked a couple of Thai Bar owners about it and they looked at me like I was mad....no idea what had happened...but they were still putting out the joss sticks and red fanta as usual mid afternoon 555

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Some very worrisome possibilities, alright.

Everything was open as normal in Bangkok last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Everything was open as normal in Bangkok last night.
    Levels was shut...........i live next door to the place

Levels was shut...........i live next door to the place
    I was actually there last night!! It was open until 3am (but I left for Mixx at about 2:15), the place was packed!! So was Mixx.

Nothing in patong was shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    I was actually there last night!! It was open until 3am (but I left for Mixx at about 2:15), the place was packed!! So was Mixx.
    I thought it was shut as the open air end wasn't open or certainly wasn't lit up in its normal way. They also usually bounce lasers off the buildings about and you couldn't hear any music, which usually you can hear the drone from my building next door