Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Russian visitors to Phuket were up 36 percent this year!

Russian visitors to Phuket were up 36 percent this year!

More Russians Expected to Come to Enjoy Phuket, Pegas MD Tells Governor - Phuket Wan

Look like the governor misses the quality tourists...

Phuket Loses Out By Swapping Russians For Scandinavians, Governor Told - Phuket Wan

PHUKET: Scandinavian tourists have been exchanged for Russian tourists on Phuket despite the obvious disadvantages, a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall heard yesterday.

For 30 years, Scandinavians came to Phuket and boosted the local economy, tourism industry spokeswoman Jinnipada Chuenskulthitichote said.

They paid locals for meals, for transport and for gifts to take home and they respected the beauty of the natural environment.

Now Phuket has swapped the Scandinavians for Russians. The Russians go to Russian-run resorts, eat in Russian-run restaurants and use their own transport.

You will have to explain to me how the Phuket economy has benefitted from this change.
    Over to Dodger
    Dkdude likes this.

I think saying its all down to the Russians as to why the Scandis are going elsewhere is making a scapegoat and not looking at the bigger picture.

Maybe time to invest in 7-11s.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think saying its all down to the Russians as to why the Scandis are going elsewhere is making a scapegoat and not looking at the bigger picture.
    Its partly true. Loads of people i know say they looking at other places to go because of the russians. Many of them have been going to Thailand every year, but now looking to go elsewhere.
    Also, in some travel guides, they warn people about to much russians in Phuket...

I dont know.. I was recently on Phuket, cant say it was the Russians that were off putting..

Also I dont get the anti Russian thing / vibe as much.. They are rarely in the same bars as me, and while they are sometimes blunt, I have never felt them to be threatening or thought there was going to be anything physical.. Contrast that to drunk Brits, or late street drunks in general and I dont think that they are such a terrible group.

I think its going to be obvious, that a group of people who had a taste for Phuket at the 90s and turn of the millennium, are going to be looking for something else than what Phuket offers now.

would have thought the GFC had a bigger effect on the Scandies not coming so much rather than the Russian take-up

What is GFC?

I do hear complaint about the Russians from Danes, typically Danes that have traveled many times and remember the time before the Russians.

Personally, I have no problem with the Russians. And I think the scams (tuk tuk, jetski, corruption etc.) are much more off putting for the inexperienced traveler than other tourists may be.
    Dkdude likes this.

The Russians are evident in my area, mainly in the supermarkets and local markets. The only problem I have seen has been the language barrier when both Russians and Thais get frustrated with the inability to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    What is GFC?
    Global Financial Crisis.....

I dd notice whilst living in Kamala that Scandie families were in much less numbers and doing it cheaper (staying further back from the beach in guest houses rather than beachfront resorts) than they were before the GFC

On Samui they seem to be in bungalows rather than the 5 star places as well

^^^^
    Are you into the bandanas yet Nels?

My perception is that the Scandies "discovered" the LOS seaside decades (30-40 years ago) before most other Farangs (pre-G.I.s) and the historic low prices have gone - as has their cheap holiday paradise.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 28th October 2013 at 11:56.

Interesting...the sputniks never bother me. Just stand my ground, and they seem to understand the body lingo well. And when in Thailand, at least they give you chance to see big hooters from time to time....
    Steve@thaib likes this.

Speaking as a Skandi, the Russians were never more than a minor bother for me. But what I feel, and from what I hear from my friends, itīs more about the general feeling of the place. Itīs become much more cut throat. You get the feeling that relieving you of your hard earned cash has become more organised, itīs more big business and less fun. I have been comming to Patong since 2005 for 1-2 months every year, an d when I was there in Feb this year I realised that next time I came, it wouldnīt be to Patong.

More off putting is trailer trash ozzies, big groups of indian men, arab women in burkas with metal bars across their face and unbelievably stupid chinese tour groups
    Steve@thaib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    More off putting is trailer trash ozzies, big groups of indian men, arab women in burkas with metal bars across their face and unbelievably stupid chinese tour groups
    Upper suk for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Indians are tough to be around, as are Arabs, and there are lots more of them now. If Russian people are eating in Russian restaurants, drinking in Russian bars and using Russian tour guides it's hard to see how they are affecting anyone else.

Can’t say I’m affected by them either. But my folks confirmed that the businesses on the beach did not like the Russian swap for Scandinavian tourists.

And many of them must be renting serviced places, as they really fill up those carts at Tesco.

I think it all went south went go go girls dancing in go go bars became second fiddle to drunks and football games.
    0013.jpg
    nelsonone, LivinLOS and soupdragon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Upper suk for ya
    Baan Nok more like with the just introduced AIS one 2 call 3G service blazing along. Gonna need to think outside the box to dig my way out of this one 555555
    LivinLOS likes this.

The ruskies don't bother me at all as i am very seldom in the same places as them.

I see them on the beach a lot and they almost never get drinks or food from the beach vendors but get their stuff from the supermarket and the consumate at the beach so I guess the thai vendors are feeling the change in demographics...
    Money can't buy love but it can rent a pretty close imitation.

In time, the russian embassies in Thailand will be shut down.
    Russian holdings will be confiscated.
    It takes a lot to piss off a thai,
    But when you do,
    You have a problem.
    Jmho, ymmv!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast