Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evilbaz

Thread: Have u noticed a price drop in Aussie Wine cos of FTA ?

Have u noticed a price drop in Aussie Wine cos of FTA ?

One Aussie wine I liked has greatly dropped in price (from 1950thb to 1100thb) but I'm not seeing the price drop that much across the board
    but then again my main drink is Chang Export 2013 ....

http://www.austrade.gov.au/Export/Ex...e#.UoWCfxqnp3E

When the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement entered into force on 1 January 2005, Thai tariffs on Australian wine were gradually reduced from 54 per cent in 2005, to 8 per cent in 2013, and will continue to be phased down by 4 per cent each year to reach 0 per cent by 2015. This will give Australian wine producers an immediate competitive advantage over wine from other producing countries that pay a tariff of 51 per cent.

In addition to import tariffs, imported wines are subject to four different tax systems:

• Excise tax – value-based rate at 60 per cent
    • Municipal tax – 10 per cent of excise tax
    • Value added tax (VAT) – 7 per cent
    • Health support project – 2 per cent

Excise tax can be calculated on the CIF value, or volume basis (per litre). The higher excise tax calculation is used as a base for applying the municipal tax and VAT.

Last edited by SLeesy; 15th November 2013 at 09:10.

Mind you there was also another Alcohol Tax that came into effect Sept 2013 (ish), for wines above/below 600thb ....

Beer will also be taxed at 60% of the product’s value. Wine valued at less than 600 baht is exempt from product value tax, but anything valued above 600 baht is taxed at 36% of the product’s retail value.

Last edited by SLeesy; 15th November 2013 at 09:12.

So best value is Aussie wine VALUED at less than 600thb !!!!

Suggestions please .....

PTG
    The new tax is based on volume, according to my friend that sells wine, so boxed wine also went up quite a bit.

Here (Kamalala) my local wholesale shop increased 5 litre S.A. casks by only 30 baht per cask.
    100 Pipers whiskey went up 15 baht per bottle (700 ml).
    The Pub raised 100 Pipers 20 baht per nip !!!!! (560 baht per bottle extra profit).

Under 600 baht OZ red - Little Penguin from Villa Mart - very quaffable for the price, slightly chilled, both in the Cab Sauv and the Merlot.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 15th November 2013 at 10:10.
    SLeesy likes this.

so what's the wine you like that's dropped so much, sleesy?

I've just started my christmas purchases, def not comparing to what would be available i los, but i'm interested in wines, so would like to hear what you guys are buying over there.

Please, not jacobs creek or mcwilliams.55

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Here (Kamalala) my local wholesale shop increased 5 litre S.A. casks by only 30 baht per cask.
    100 Pipers whiskey went up 15 baht per bottle (700 ml).
    The Pub raised 100 Pipers 20 baht per nip !!!!! (560 baht per bottle extra profit).

Under 600 baht OZ red - Little Penguin from Villa Mart - very quaffable for the price, slightly chilled, both in the Cab Sauv and the Merlot.
    It is amazing that Little Penguin is 600b here, I think they sell it in USA supermarkets for $7.99 but agree that it is a decent choice. Drag about the boxes prices rising, they are so convenient and keeps the wine fresh with no hassle. I have only tried 2 of those so far, Bodegas Centenarias Chile Cabernet sauvignon and the Bota Box also Chile Cabernet. I'm not crazy about either, but they are okay for every day wine I guess.

The Italian just down the street from me here in Bangkok, Il Bolognese, Bangkok - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor has a new one for less than 900 baht in the restaurant (or for delivery lol) and I need to get the name of it so I can find it at the distributor, it's a good one. I'll report back when I find the name! Kind of a good idea to have a thread with wine suggestions available in Thailand while we navigate the price hikes (or drops!).

I'm trying to buy up ALL the stock in Phuket so will let you know once I have !

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    so what's the wine you like that's dropped so much, sleesy?

I've just started my christmas purchases, def not comparing to what would be available i los, but i'm interested in wines, so would like to hear what you guys are buying over there.

Please, not jacobs creek or mcwilliams.55

Used to be 29quid here, now 22 quid, in Aus/USA 10 quid ....!!!!!

Ps 1 quid = 50thb !

The wine I liked that dropped from 1950thb (in Villa/Tesco) to 1100thb was a Penfolds Bin 2 Shiraz Mourvedre 2010/2011 .....
    So I bought 6 crates ...for Christmas !

Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    The wine I liked that dropped from 1950thb (in Villa/Tesco) to 1100thb was a Penfolds Bin 2 Shiraz Mourvedre 2010/2011 .....
    So I bought 6 crates ...for Christmas !
    What time is Chrissy dinner? 555!

Started yesterday ....

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    What time is Chrissy dinner? 555!

Thats going to be a long dinner

New User
    what is the latest breakdown of wine charges, I heard there is a 200B tax per bottle on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddles View Post
    what is the latest breakdown of wine charges, I heard there is a 200B tax per bottle on top.
    They said that was coming, but only on wines costing over 600b.. I cant say I have noticed the good ones suddenly jumping 20%.

One thing I have noticed, and it might be just the rimping chain where I do my shopping, is that they used to have a good selection of boxed wines, from the cheap 5l to some more paletable ones in 3l boxes, 2 of which I found very quaffable. For some reason late last year they now have only a couple of brands of boxes and all seem v poor. Dont know if thats due to economics, taxes, or just they dont want to sell boxes ??

There's a cask (box) wine shortage throughout Thailand at the moment.
    One chain said it was because of an increased tax dispute.
    Another said it was to clear out the overstock of 2 litre bottles.
    Been that way down here for a month or so.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.