Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slampay

Thread: Tourist police assisting Russian ATM skimmers.

Tourist police assisting Russian ATM skimmers.

Police officer sacked for helping Russian duo
    The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tourist Police Division chief Maj-General Apichai Theamart said yesterday that Senior Sgt-Major Nonthapan Saengsuk, 37, had been sacked for allegedly helping two Russian criminals, who are believed to have used fake debit and credit cards to withdraw money. He said a disciplinary probe has also been launched to investigate the officer's superiors.

Nonthapan was arrested in Nakhon Ratchasima along with Russian suspects Vasily Ivanoff, 27, and Serge Peterneff, 38, for allegedly conspiring to use fake credit and debit cards to withdraw more than Bt2.9 million from ATM machines across the provincial capital.

The suspects also had in possession more than Bt2.9 million in cash that they had allegedly withdrawn over the past week as well as 328 counterfeit ATM cards.

A subsequent search of the Russian suspects' hotel rooms in Bangkok also turned up more than Bt1.5 million in cash, 31 fake credit cards and evidence suggesting that Ivanoff may have withdrawn about Bt65 million since arriving in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Ratchasima police have launched a manhunt for more accomplices - possibly foreigners.

-- The Nation 2013-11-20
    65m.. Thats quite a haul.. I am surprised..

Tourist police involved with ATM skimming gang sacked
    By English News

BANGKOK, Nov 20 - Thailand's Tourism Police have sacked an officer arrested for involvement in a transnational ATM skimming gang.

Tourist Police Division Commander Pol Maj Gen Apichai Thi-amart said Pol Sen Sgt Maj Nontapan Saengsuk, 37, a Tourist Police officer, was dismissed from the agency following his arrest.

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Nontapan was caught in Nakhon Ratchasima, together with two Russian men using an ATM 'skimmer' to hack information from their victims' credit cards and making counterfeit credit cards to withdraw cash from ATMs. Some Bt2.8 million cash and 328 counterfeit credit cards were also seized.

The Thai police officer served as driver who took the Russians to withdraw money from ATMs, for which he received 10 per cent of the cash.

Pol Maj Gen Apichai said a probe committee has been set up to investigate the alleged malfeasance of the officer, and his superiors for negligence in supervising their subordinates. The probe is intended to discover if more police officers are involved as accomplices.

They will have 30 days to explain their actions to the committee, Gen Apichai said, adding that disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty.

Sen Sgt Maj Nontapan was a tourist police officer for almost seven years and performed in many cases, he said.

Gen Apichai said the national police chief has instructed him to supervise the tourist police agency more carefully and said that he will convene a meeting of his subordinates on Saturday. (MCOT online news)

I do like my SMS notifications on my accounts in LOS ....

Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    Yeah same.. And real money accounts have no ATM either.

65 mil is quite a haul tho.. Wonder how long he was at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLeesy View Post
    I gave all my sons a cc/debit card with strict instructions:

Only use it for school (uni) related cost, food or gas! They don't know that I get a text for how much and where it has been used...
    SLeesy likes this.