Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Phuket Warning; DUI CHECK POINT

Phuket Warning; DUI CHECK POINT

I have been in Phuket for about a month now. Whilst enroute from Patong to Karon; at about 0400 hours I was stopped at a police check point. The check point was at the bottom of the hill at Karon. I thought it was a typical helmet check. However this time I was waved over and told to shut the scooter off. They asked me how much I had to drink. I gave the typical two beer response. However I had hooked up with some Ozzey's and had been drinking all night. The officer was preparing the breath analyzer and continued to ask questions. At the last minute he said he believed me and let me go. I told the story to a local Thai the next day. She was aware of the program and had two friends that had been arrested there. The DUI checkpoint has been started at high season. It goes up at 0200 hours and shuts dawn at 0400 hours. She told me the only reason I was let go was because they were shutting down for the night. They breath test every one they stop. She was aware that it "MAY" be possible to "pay fine" there. If you can get the officer alone, the standard fee is 15,000 Baht. If you cant find a cop to pay off its one night in the Monkey house and a 500 Baht fine. They then flag your passport. BE CAREFUL. They have put up DUI check points at various locations.

Been happening between Kamala and Patong as well, down that first hill. A friend was stopped a few weeks ago and got off with only 3000.

Last time it happened to me was a few years ago, and they would not accept ANY payment at all. So had my sleep-off at the Kamala police station, then my day in court and lastly (and inexplicably) a second night at the truly horrible immigration detention center in Phuket Town. Basically stopped driving that route UI altogether after that.

Wouldn't the common sense thing be to stop driving whilst drinking and over the limit. , That would solve the problems at the bottom of the hills.
    kris-one and Waharoa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arliss michaels View Post
    Wouldn't the common sense thing be to stop driving whilst drinking and over the limit. , That would solve the problems at the bottom of the hills.
    And then you come back to the transport issues..
    Geespot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    And then you come back to the transport issues..
    Don't you just fkin love Phuket

Deffo dont drive a scooter or any vehicle whilst drunk...........fuck the DUI, you might kill yourself or worse someone else
    kris-one, dawsey, Tarzan and 1 others like this.

Just know that we've all had different learning experiences over the years. I've done my fair of stupid runs in the past, and looking back not particularly proud. Would bet most here have done a few DUIs though...

Heck, when we did the PI scooter (slash beer) run around the island just last year I was the only one raising concerns beforehand. Still joined, but retreated early.

im a much better driver when im drunk.....

Most of us have done it to some degree

You will never understand the consequences until something really bad happens i.e someone is badly injured or killed and you are directly or indirectly involved............that's when it really hits home!!!

For those in Chiang Mai, they've started doing it there as well. I've been stopped and spoken to right at the gate. Luckily I was as sober as sunday service that night. Guy looked at me, chatted just a few words, then waved me on.

Also seen them stopping folks on the inside of the moat, on the corner that would be closest to kad suan keow mall. That time I HAD been drinking... at Riders... but the 4 cops running the stop all had a motorbike each pulled over and there was another waiting to be spoken to, so when I swung around the turn everyone was too busy to stop me. I never get full-on drunk as it's just not my way... but I did have a buzz going. Could've meant trouble for me that night.

I rarely take my chances anymore... I prefer to do my drinking at home or very close to it... short rides of less than 5 minutes are the way to go.

It really is a bit complicated tho when you have a party island vibe like Patong and then no reliable cheap safe transport system to get you home.

Not condoning DUI at all but it does seem a bit of a double gouge when the whole place revolves around partying......but you can't get home without further expense when you are already out of it.

Hardly an incentive to go out and let loose.

Just saying you should get a cheap room......that would result in most staying in a cheap room everynight.

People drink heavily there everyday/night no?

Impractical and also hypocritical.

Sort out proper transport in short

Never said that.

People are there for two weeks and want to escape their mundane lives in their nanny states.

If you want them to come and party like everyone claims Patong used to be?

Double gouge if you then want to prosecute them coz they can't get back to their hotel simply and easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Never said that.

People are there for two weeks and want to escape their mundane lives in their nanny states.

If you want them to come and party like everyone claims Patong used to be?

Double gouge if you then want to prosecute them coz they can't get back to their hotel simply and easily?
    This is a main reason that turned me off Hawaii. You need a rental car to get anywhere, but your still in the USA and if you've had a couple down at the beach....your fooked. And its more like a US $10,000 problem! Not only ruin your holiday, but probably your year.

@Ub2yoo

Ok then problem solved.

Idealism to the extreme.

A new superhuman robotic ideal.....5555

Hope everyone can stick to it.
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 21st November 2013 at 03:00.

It really is a bit complicated tho when you have a party island vibe like Patong and then no reliable cheap safe transport system to get you home.

Not condoning DUI at all but it does seem a bit of a double gouge when the whole place revolves around partying......but you can't get home without further expense when you are already out of it.
    a taxi anywhere on the island would cost you 17usd max
    cost should not be a factor at all

that being said, i've driven home plenty times drunk

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Personally I've been blessed so far that my wife either picks me up or drives us home when we were out on the piss. It's good to have someone around with more sense
    but sucks to have a wife that doesn't get fcuked up 555

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

Agreed

If you want to drink all the time then stay somewhere that you can walk

If it's an occasional drink or night out then taxi or tuk tuk cost shouldn't be any sort of consideration and likewise a cheap hotel (plenty people do that)

Still think it's the case Phuket has the worst accident record in Thailand and that's saying something

Fook another negative to add to the list 55555555555555

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

Well USD 17 with our current exchange rate of 10 to 1 starts to add up for taxi's every night.

Just hypothetical but just pointing out we don't all earn the almighty US Dollar

Well USD 17 with our current exchange rate of 10 to 1 starts to add up for taxi's every night.

Just hypothetical but just pointing out we don't all earn the almighty US Dollar
    i don't either! 555

but in terms of baht
    the most would be 500baht
    which anyone travelling should be able to afford that
    so would be 1k each way if you are going far and i would doubt you'd be doing that every night of your holiday

just saying, there is no way cost can be factored into
    either someone admits they don't mind driving drunk(i do it plenty) but they can't say they do it because it costs too much for transport

You are quite right.

But in Patong you get carried away with the general vibe.

The average guy spends way more than he expects to with all that nice ass around and general good time.

Every now and then you might make the dumb decision to take your Motorcy back home for a cost of B10 instead if being rational and taking the taxi for B500.

It's already parked there anyways from when you came down in the morning.

That's how the whole system is set up there......people do it everyday without a second thought.

So yeah if you want to stop that.....think about another transport system that can work......without Govt taking MORE money from you and me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast