Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Patong - Broken Middle Road

Patong - Broken Middle Road

The road behind JungCeylon has been shambles virtually since it was first put in but now the authorities are making a determined effort to do something.
    Just what that something will be is not altogether clear as in May this year i thought taht it would be finished by the time we got back this month.
    No such luck and the traffic snarls are incredible

But the work they are doing is significant but closing roads etc at the start of the peak season???

These taken from the footpath in front of the tiger bar at the rear (eastern) entrance of JungCeylon opposite Hemingways market.

An interesting couple of hours watching other people work whilst we have a drink at the Tiger bar.

PB150009.jpgPB150010.jpg

As far as I remember, they expect the work to take two years from one end to the other.

I can believe the two years but work seems to be in disjointed patches and nothing ever seems to be properly finished.
    The section from Sai Nam Yen Rd to the north is paved but no gutters or footpaths but all the drains have been put in.

The driver of the digger was extremely competent and very accurate with his bucket. I took these photo's late this afternoon and it rain was pouring down at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It interests me cos I can't work out what they are going to do next or why???
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

I was shocked, that 3 years after last seeing the dirt rd (that was actually useable) going back recently it was still a dirt rd, actually everything south of JC far worse than it ever used to be.. Some areas like a amazonian gold mine town. Just a total joke.

I was told the good bit, between Phra baramee and the hospital was done in a mad hurry because a royal visit was arranged to patong hospital.. Quick lay some tarmac and pretend its done for the bit they will see.. But the rest of course left.

When you think of the amount of money JC and others have put into Thailand directly and through commerce.. when you think of the 100's possibly 1000's of rooms and condos on the south end of the rd.. Its an absolute disgrace and the towns 'leaders' should be dragged from office and put in the stocks !!! Its been a dirt rd for what ?? 5 or 6 years !! In such a rich and expensive town.

Mind blowing.
    TLandHim likes this.

IIRC it was paved for a while at least to JC.
    Then when the drains proved inadequate (they put a water-wheel in the klong) it was started to be ripped up at the Pra Baramee end, huge drains put in, the level raised considerably and reinforced concrete laid.
    So the temporary fix for a Royal visit theory fits.

WRT to the subsidence on the north side of Patong hill - at least this time instead of filling and bitumenizing over the subsidence they have now started at the bottom of the fault and are reinforcing the bund from the ground upwards.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Should be finished in time for low season....

In all fairness, it does look like it will be good when it is finished. It will definitely make a difference in the traffic and possibly the flooding.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Sure.. For a start simply diverting all manner of through traffic away from the one way or Nanai..

Once done it should have a huge effect on the dynamic of town.

.....And, the mayor promised there would be no flooding next year....hmmm.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    In writing ?

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Sure - but the Electoral Commission sacked him for vote fraud so all promises are cancelled 555!
    Seriously, Soi San Sabai's problems will never be solved until the flood waters are diverted from heading for the previous sump/lake.
    Great big drains are great for the roads - but where is the drainage infrastructure for the Sois?

Actually, I think Soi San Sabai is doing better already from the work at Middle Road. It used to get flooded at the upper end from the smallest amount of rain, but despite rainy days I haven't seen it flooded in the last couple of days, when I have gone that way. Bill, what is your take - is it less flooded already?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Sure - but the Electoral Commission sacked him for vote fraud so all promises are cancelled 555!
    Seriously, Soi San Sabai's problems will never be solved until the flood waters are diverted from heading for the previous sump/lake.
    Great big drains are great for the roads - but where is the drainage infrastructure for the Sois?
    I think you will find it was the drainage problem that has led to the delays in finishing the middle road. They had to remove the surface laid to replace with much larger storm drains to either side. This has now been partially completed and hence why sections of the road are still under very heavy construction. Tricky to get this 100% right I think ,but some less flooding is already being seen.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I think you will find it was the drainage problem that has led to the delays in finishing the middle road. They had to remove the surface laid to replace with much larger storm drains to either side. This has now been partially completed and hence why sections of the road are still under very heavy construction. Tricky to get this 100% right I think ,but some less flooding is already being seen.
    Keep dishing out the contracts and skimming off the top

A contractor in Khon Kaen was telling me as much as 40% of the contact value goes to officials and politicians, the rest left over to build the road. Means literally everything gets skimmed e.g foundations, drains and road layers

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I did find that Dodger - that's why I posted it in post #6 55555!

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    A contractor in Khon Kaen was telling me as much as 40% of the contact value goes to officials and politicians, the rest left over to build the road. Means literally everything gets skimmed e.g foundations, drains and road layers
    Did you expect this project to be different from other projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Did you expect this project to be different from other projects?
    Generally no but I was surprised at the % figure he quoted and how this could compromise a project. You see roads sinking and breaking up all over Thailand, now I know why.

Maybe some other people here who don't know might find it useful to get some context on the state of the roads

CNX must be due a loyal visit as the 100% perfectly formed, smooth and under-used Royal Flora dual carriageway has just received a new blacktop.

As G says, ~ 40% seems about right. Same same in Isaan towns and villages when the Tessaban or other local clowns spend a little of their Gov't allocation.

Note: Major highways are funded direct ex BKK, so perhaps a lesser % loss. Credit where credit is due, they do build some bloody good roads.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    they do build some bloody good roads.
    Yeah its crazy how in the poorer north.. It seems the roads are better.. The 4 from Bangkok to Surat etc is terrible very often.. I was recently shocked at how bad the roads are around hua hin.. You want an SUV there as the potholes will swallow a regular car wheel..

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    CNX must be due a loyal visit as the 100% perfectly formed, smooth and under-used Royal Flora dual carriageway has just received a new blacktop.

As G says, ~ 40% seems about right. Same same in Isaan towns and villages when the Tessaban or other local clowns spend a little of their Gov't allocation.

Note: Major highways are funded direct ex BKK, so perhaps a lesser % loss. Credit where credit is due, they do build some bloody good roads.
    don't forget big shots getting their home areas done well
    the roads in Suphan Buri are fantastic and it has been said to me, "have big man live here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast