Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Samui-one year on

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Its only really the Peak Xmas/NY season and then the Chinese NY season here that really affects the joint....and mostly that's on the roads with people on bikes who have never ridden one riding dangerously and others in cars who don't understand how the Thais drive

The euro summer holiday season (July-August) doesn't get so busy, there are still plenty of hotel rooms available and sunbeds on the beach...and these tourists are pretty laid back and generally respectful of the Thais

i don't diss the tourists here too much...without them we wouldn't have the infrastructure and amenities on the island to have such a comfortable life
    Before I went to Samui I always thought of it as an expensive resort place and there is definitely some high end resorts....
    But I think it is a lot more reasonable than most places in LOS
    And actually I like to look on Craigslist at properties and Samui has been popping up on there a lot and seemingly good prices for decent villas to buy......not that I am in the market there. If we ever bought in Samui it would cost me an arm and a leg to fly everyone down when we wanted to go there.

As an aside.....that place I showed you I want to stay at.....the room rate comes with a fantastic breakfast spread to your room at your chosen time ech day and an hour massage for each guest......that is not bad at all!
    nelsonone likes this.

^ cool...I rode by that place a few days back and stuck my nose in...it looks nice

One of then bug bears and saviours of this island is the price to fly in/out...I say saviour because it holds back the rapid development and keeps out the "cheap package" tourists that Phuket+Pattaya seem to attract

But there are nice hotels to be had here in almost any price bracket for those who look around and choose well...starting from about 800 baht a night right through to luxury villas at 10's of thousands

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ cool...I rode by that place a few days back and stuck my nose in...it looks nice

One of then bug bears and saviours of this island is the price to fly in/out...I say saviour because it holds back the rapid development and keeps out the "cheap package" tourists that Phuket+Pattaya seem to attract

But there are nice hotels to be had here in almost any price bracket for those who look around and choose well...starting from about 800 baht a night right through to luxury villas at 10's of thousands
    My only reservation about that place was that the beach is actually not that nice. Way too rocky. But I actually only went in the ocean once at Coral Cove so not a huge deal. I like the beachfront and the reviews were glowing.

By the way.......off topic but I was blown away at how many expensive hotels were in Kamala.
    Crazy!
    I don't think the beach is all that nice there and since they have built it up as much as they have done in recent years I don't see the appeal.
    I was blown away looking at those prices

I could never stay in a hotel on a beach front. The reasons are obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I could never stay in a hotel on a beach front. The reasons are obvious
    Really ? I always stay on the beach front at Lamai.
    What problems are you referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy View Post
    Really ? I always stay on the beach front at Lamai.
    What problems are you referring to.
    So have I. Though I was paranoid about security...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    So have I. Though I was paranoid about security...
    Well I agree there is not much security in the hotels but I get more paranoid about the ladyboys on scooters.......

I stayed in a beach side place in koh chang. Came back from dinner to find a couple of Thai guys, one with one of those pot holing lamps you wear on your head, peering in to the neighbours bungalow. They bolted quickly when we disturbed them.
    Waharoa and quiksilva like this.

Samui-one year on

Maybe gee talking about tsunami? But he probably talking bout coming back wasted and the temptation being too great for a midnight swim 555
    Last edited by kris-one; 27th September 2015 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Maybe gee talking about tsunami? But he probably talking bout coming back wasted and the temptation bring too great for a midnight swim 555
    Though probably not on Samui..

Easy access from the beach for anyone wanting to break in... especially to beachfront bungalows... though I try not to take too much of value on holiday with me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    By the way.......off topic but I was blown away at how many expensive hotels were in Kamala.
    Crazy!
    I don't think the beach is all that nice there and since they have built it up as much as they have done in recent years I don't see the appeal.
    I was blown away looking at those prices
    Just out of curiosity, which ones are you looking at, and within what price-range? Yes, you do have those insane prices with Sienna and all, but never thought the overall level was much higher than the rest of the west coast. I mostly put people in guest-houses though, which I find to be very reasonable given the price. And even better quality than most hotels.

Come to think of it, Kamala has probably changed less than Patong, Kata, Karon etc. We do get a surf sometimes, but in the high-season the beach is more than fine for me at least. Personally, I wouldn't want to live --- or go on a holiday --- anywhere else on the island.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 27th September 2015 at 20:58.

Though probably not on Samui..

Easy access from the beach for anyone wanting to break in... especially to beachfront bungalows... though I try not to take too much of value on holiday with me anyway.
    Each to their own but if you have experienced a tsunami you might think twice

Doesn't phase me in the least......if it comes it comes, was my time.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which ones are you looking at, and within what price-range? Yes, you do have those insane prices with Sienna and all, but never thought the overall level was much higher than the rest of the west coast. I mostly put people in guest-houses though, which I find to be very reasonable given the price. And even better quality than most hotels.

Come to think of it, Kamala has probably changed less than Patong, Kata, Karon etc. We do get a surf sometimes, but in the high-season the beach is more than fine for me at least. Personally, I wouldn't want to live --- or go on a holiday --- anywhere else on the island.
    I don't remember off hand, but I do know all the ones I liked were very expensive..... I was quite surprised.
    Also things on Airbnb were crazy expensive.....Dodger must be doing well!

Kamala was one of my favorite areas of Phuket but I just feel way too much traffic goes through there now.

We are staying the far end of Patong towards Kamala
    My wife and her mom like to be able to walk everywhere......meaning have food readily available 555

Unlikely in Samui though? I wouldn't fancy it on the Andaman coast though...

Doesn't phase me in the least......if it comes it comes, was my time.
    Well, there is such a thing as reducing your risk... like not wearing a seatbelt and saying if it's my time.. it's my time...

Well, there is such a thing as reducing your risk... like not wearing a seatbelt and saying if it's my time.. it's my time...
    There has been 1 tsunami in how many years in Thailand?
    I think any actuary would say I am OK....
    Stillearly likes this.

There has been 1 tsunami in how many years in Thailand?
    I think any actuary would say I am OK....
    It is an active area for earthquakes off that coast now... but up to you...

Great insight into Samui Nels, sounds like it really suits you there. Is there much of an Expat community there say compared to Phuket? Apart from your pals in Phuket do you miss it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyseeker View Post
    Great insight into Samui Nels, sounds like it really suits you there. Is there much of an Expat community there say compared to Phuket? Apart from your pals in Phuket do you miss it at all?
    There are plenty of expats here John but I'm not much into the expat scene...too much drinking, hanging out watching sports in bars and plenty of BS'ing....I came here for the beaches, the scenery and a quieter life including getting away from regular nightly boozing and it has worked a treat...suits me down to the ground

I get back over to HKT once or twice a year to catch up with the lads there...some also come and visit me here as well...and lots of BMs from both here and formerly PI drop in from time to time as well...probably get 8-10 guys coming here regularly on their holidays each year now...plus I have had my friend (of 40-ish years from back home in AUS) living here as well until recently..TBH I very rarely ever want for company...if I do there usually are a few local guys up for a chat....and of course, plenty of girls 555
    snowy likes this.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast