Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bangkok Airport & Transportation info

Mr_ttaxi@hotmail.com , prices are pretty good , 1,000 Baht Swampy to Patts and 900 Baht return , the cars aren't new but okay for the price
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

^^Anytime I've used Mr T I've always had a big people carrier car to myself, always spotless and decent drivers too. His office is down a lane on Soi Dianna walking from the entrance to LK Metro you'll see a sign to your right when heading for LK Renaissance hotel.

Additional info and photos >

As mentioned in OP, transportation via bus, train or taxi will depend on personal preference as much as prevailing weather, traffic etc. With 3 hours to kill before meeting family at Suvarnabhumi, following my own arrival in DMK, I used AOT's FREE shuttle bus service which runs half-hourly between DMK & BKK.

The service is via ~52 seat bus with a/c and oh boy, it was cold! The buses depart on time and take one hour, door to door, in normal traffic - allow 90 mins to be safe. You're supposed to show a (used) boarding pass to gain free transfer but hey, you might have already thrown it away ...

A Taxi costs ~ 300 Bt and would have been no quicker in prevailing light traffic, but definitely the ONLY way to transfer between DMK/BKK in rush-hour or when pushed for time!

[I used a Taxi from Asoke to DMK, in pouring rain and with luggage ... train + bus just wasn't a consideration, and it cost 240 Bt with tolls].

Suvarnabhumi > Skytrain options

Upon meeting arrival at BKK we took the train to Makkasan, it was rush-hour, and our hotel was just ~500m from the city terminal. From BKK arrivals one takes travelators (or lift) to ground floor and underground station entry ramp.

Take the LH ramp for Express train (90 Bt) or RH ramp for City line (~30 Bt) ... nearly everyone takes the City train as it is more frequent and 4 x one-minute stops at intermediate stations hardly a bother ... mind you, the Express does have very plush seating compared with regular hard plastic benches.

LivinLOS and Steve@thaib like this.
    Cheers, Rob.

How long before take off do you get to BKK for outbound international flights? I usually like to arrive 1 and a half to 2 hours before

Normally three hours for me , minimum of two

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Normally three hours for me , minimum of two
    hmmm.. not the answer I wanted 55, I have a day/evening of freedom and was hoping to squeeze as many minutes as possible out of it.
    Stillearly likes this.

Last time I arrived some 20 minutes before lift off - and then I still had to get outside again to park my scooter. If it wasn't so stressful I would consider doing it again, I have never before been through check inn and immigration that fast.

I get to Swampy far too early, because I can never judge BKK traffic.... then I am stuck sitting around a bloody airport.... a pet hate of mine.

To me, 1.5 hours is plenty, if ya can work the traffic 555

With Bangkok traffic and the fact that Swampy is a huge airport I usually get there around 3 hours before take off, never had any delays checking in though.

You need to be careful with timing!!

BKK traffic isn't too bad going to Swampy unless there has been an accident; it's coming from it that's the problem

The timing issue is going through immigration, this can sometimes take around 1 hour, but that may not be such an issue since last year. I havent heard any of the horror stories of last year. If you are a premium lane customer then all good, it wont take you more than 10 minutes to get through security and passport control

If you are really short on time and pressed to make your flight then the chances are once you speak to staff they will put you to the front of any queues (of course the height of bad manners for all who make sure they get there on time and endure the queues)

Last week it took me less than 30 mins from landing to clear immigration and pickup bag, all quite snappy and there were lots of peeps in the queue . I do remember it taking longer than that before. Leaving, normally I like to be in the airport 2 hours before the flight. I hate to rush and never do.

Always at the airport 2,5-3 hours before departure. Gives me plenty of time to get rid of the bags, check-in and grab some food for the me, the kids and the wife.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

It's weird Etihad give me a fast track pass for security/immigration when I'm leaving Bangkok but don't when I'm arriving.

2 hours before intl flight has always been fine with me...

Didnt know about those fucking turnstiles... there has got to be some way around that though... exit from the arrivals, cross the road and look for stairs up or something.

Beemer sounds too rich for my blood... 2200 when a normal taxi runs 300-400... but I admit that would be comfortable and totally badass to ride in style, rockin a Beemer 7 series to the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    It's weird Etihad give me a fast track pass for security/immigration when I'm leaving Bangkok but don't when I'm arriving.
    I'm sure they gave me a priority pass for arrivals when I flew with them

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Last time I arrived some 20 minutes before lift off - and then I still had to get outside again to park my scooter. If it wasn't so stressful I would consider doing it again, I have never before been through check inn and immigration that fast.
    and with everyone that actually showed up on time wanting to punch you in the nose!
    sorry, one of my pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Beemer sounds too rich for my blood... 2200 when a normal taxi runs 300-400... but I admit that would be comfortable and totally badass to ride in style, rockin a Beemer 7 series to the hotel.
    i've done the BMW a bunch of times, and it is very nice, but the Camry's at the same desk are very nice too
    i just hate dealing with regular taxis, not knowing if i will get a crap car, after a long flight
    i think the Camry is something like 1200-1300 last time i did it
    and the drivers at the AOT limo desk are much nicer drivers also

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    You need to be careful with timing!!

BKK traffic isn't too bad going to Swampy unless there has been an accident; it's coming from it that's the problem

The timing issue is going through immigration, this can sometimes take around 1 hour, but that may not be such an issue since last year. I havent heard any of the horror stories of last year. If you are a premium lane customer then all good, it wont take you more than 10 minutes to get through security and passport control

If you are really short on time and pressed to make your flight then the chances are once you speak to staff they will put you to the front of any queues (of course the height of bad manners for all who make sure they get there on time and endure the queues)
    why do a lot of these non-western countries make you go through immigration to leave the country?
    from my recollection that doesn't happen in the west
    you just leave

which seems sort of odd, given that more people need visas for those countries

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    and with everyone that actually showed up on time wanting to punch you in the nose!
    sorry, one of my pet peeves
    Why would they want to do that? They didn't know how late I was.

By the way, I will not recommend coming this late. I was lucky that the check in people was very helpful - they were actually closing and going away from the counter when they saw me running towards the counter. Then they stopped, went back, and helped me checking in, parking the scooter and getting through and all the way to the plane. It all went so fast that I didn't even have time to thank them with at nice tip .

I can imagine that many employees that would simply have continued walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Why would they want to do that? They didn't know how late I was.
    because if you were that late, then they would have had to have you cut the line at immigration, security to get you to the plane before it left
    so you were late and cutting people who made the effort to get to the airport on time
    i see it all the time and it is BS

sure, sometimes people can't help being late, but most times if you have a flight than people should know to allot enough time to get to the airport
    Geespot likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast