Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatdane

Thread: Krabi advice

Krabi advice

It's the one place I havent been in Thailand that I still wanted to see.

Getting a little time off from work, so I think I am going to take the she-wok to Krabi for 4-5 days. Looking to go in about 2 weeks.

Hoping for advice on things to do, where to stay, best ways to get around, etc. It seems the cheapest way to get down there is the direct Air Asia flight.

Beyond that, I dont know much about the place, so any info is welcome...

The only thing I know we're wanting to do for sure is the 'Separated Sea' place...

We could actually split the time, 2 days in Krabi and 2 days in Phi Phi... I havent had much desire to do Phi Phi as I lived in Phuket for 6 months and I've also lived in Hawaii for 6 months, so I pretty much have isalnd life covered. That said, I have nothing against going to Phi Phi if it's worth a look. I could probably just do an island tour day and cover it, right?

Why not combine it with the region of Trang. I heard it was not bad.

stay in Ao Nang....lots of reasonable priced bungalow style places etc down along the beach or one or two steeets back...plenty of colour and life there...loads of restaurants and bars...visit Ralay Beach via longtail from the Ao Nang ferry pier and do a couple of speedboat day trips out to the nearby islands including Thale Waek (separated sea) Chicken and Porda islands (which has millions of small fish to swim with) and the Pranang Bay area for hongs (caves) ...4 days is a pretty decent amount of time in the area

Nels nailed exactly the advice I would have given.. Ao Nang as a base with a visit to Railey by boat.

follow the road west out of Ao Nang, to the next beach in and to the west end of that.. Theres a really peaceful under the pines kinda area, how Thais like the beach and some food places there there are just great.. So great in fact we often used to do the 20 kms or more detour when heading back from Samui to go there beacuse of a Krabi 5 kinds shellfish number we always would order.

Get out on a scoot also simply to see the limestone Karsts.. Amazing looking country and great for a couple of hours spin.

Climb the 1200 steps at the Tiger Cave Temple. Ringbuster, but worth the view.

I got a feeling the 1200 steps wont happen. I've got a short legged she-wok that hasnt been in the gym for 6 months, only sitting on her fanny in classes. And me, who hasnt exercised in 3 months, only sat my arse at a desk in Iraq. Only now that I've put a little time in and earned my keep, do I feel it's OK to seek out a gym and start to sneak off during the day to go. So yeah, neither of us in shape right now for anything strenuous, which I read the Tiger Cave steps were.

With the kind of shape I'm in now, I'd probably get winded using a rotary telephone...

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I got a feeling the 1200 steps wont happen. I've got a short legged she-wok that hasnt been in the gym for 6 months, only sitting on her fanny in classes. And me, who hasnt exercised in 3 months, only sat my arse at a desk in Iraq. Only now that I've put a little time in and earned my keep, do I feel it's OK to seek out a gym and start to sneak off during the day to go. So yeah, neither of us in shape right now for anything strenuous, which I read the Tiger Cave steps were.

With the kind of shape I'm in now, I'd probably get winded using a rotary telephone...
    I did nearly turn around at the 700 mark. Its easy to keep track, all the steps are numbered. I did it a few years ago, don't know if i could now.

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    I did nearly turn around at the 700 mark. Its easy to keep track, all the steps are numbered. I did it a few years ago, don't know if i could now.
    You could take it easy and mount the mountain slowly. Not my style though. Planning for the morning when it is not so hot, good running shoes and very little clothes, I managed to get below 23 minutes the last time I tried. But still a very humiliating experience:

At about 400 steps I passed a Thai family on the way up. Their 7 year old girl found the speed of the farang more exiting than the speed of the family, so she followed me. Always some 20 steps behind. Whenever I stopped to tug my lungs back into the inside of my body, she stopped too waiting for me to continue. Looking very much not tired, which made it all so much worse.

Finally I reached the top and half a minute later she came. She did look a little tired by now, which was very comforting. Until I saw her foot wear.

girl-tiger.jpg
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    You could take it easy and mount the mountain slowly. Not my style though. Planning for the morning when it is not so hot, good running shoes and very little clothes, I managed to get below 23 minutes the last time I tried. But still a very humiliating experience:

At about 400 steps I passed a Thai family on the way up. Their 7 year old girl found the speed of the farang more exiting than the speed of the family, so she followed me. Always some 20 steps behind. Whenever I stopped to tug my lungs back into the inside of my body, she stopped too waiting for me to continue. Looking very much not tired, which made it all so much worse.

Finally I reached the top and half a minute later she came. She did look a little tired by now, which was very comforting. Until I saw her foot wear.

girl-tiger.jpg
    First time I went up was at about 4am, in the dark to catch the dawn. Monkeys hanging around was quite eery. Was good and cool though.

Anyone have any specific hotel or restaurant recommendations in Ao Nang?

I had a good room (bungalow / suite thing) on the east side of the beach just past the curve of the main rd.. Lemmie have a google and see..

===

Was the golden beach resort in an 'executive bungalow' or maybe 'pavilion bungalow'... Seems a bit steep price wise these days !!! but was kinda classy. Doubt I would have paid that much.

There is a good Tourism of Thailand Office in the main street across from the beach.....they have a wide selection of good places available if you want to just rock up...I forget the name of my fave bungalows but they were about 800 baht a night....iirc there are plenty in this sort of range outside of high season