Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Johnnyy

Thread: Accommodation in Ko Samui

Accommodation in Ko Samui

Time to start planning the next trip and a my initial thoughts are to finally get to Samui with some time in Pattaya. Spent some time looking at Laos but nothing is really jumping out at me and it looks like same same for pricing with regards to flights. So I think Lamai is the spot for the nice balance between nightlife and the beach. My preference is for a better bar scene and a bit to do during the day rather than beaches.

I should add I like a nice hotel so 4* quality and looking for 5/6 nights or so in June.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by dontpanic; 6th January 2014 at 18:26.

Last trip I stayed in Lamai Perfect Resort which I liked. It's not 4 star but its in the centre of Lamai, 5 mins from beach, small pool, cheap and really nice staff.
    Last edited by PadMC; 6th January 2014 at 20:38.

The Pavilion, The Weekender and Lamai Wanta are all in the 4 star bracket but TBH The Lamai Perfect is a great 3 star hotel (as suggested by Padraig)...nice big rooms 2 mins walk to the action and across the road from the beach....rooms there are around 1200 baht which is half the price of the others mentioned

Question for you Nels that may be useful to DP also. What's the name of the place that had the beach front rooms right beside bikini bar (to the left of bikini if you were looking up from the beach). I'm pretty sure they were part of Lamai 99 Inn but I'm not sure? I mentioned the rooms to you before if you recall.

I'm nearly sure that's Lamai 99 as Nels recommended it to me in a PI pm but couldn't think of the name of it of hand. I'll check em all out and I'm presuming they're guest friendly.

Booking.com has the Lamai perfect down as a two star?

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    Question for you Nels that may be useful to DP also. What's the name of the place that had the beach front rooms right beside bikini bar (to the left of bikini if you were looking up from the beach). I'm pretty sure they were part of Lamai 99 Inn but I'm not sure? I mentioned the rooms to you before if you recall.
    That is Lamai inn 99

So people don't recommend Chaweng even though it seems to be a bigger nightlife scene?

Lamai Inn 99 is along the beachfront next to Bikini Bar...its a well situated 3 star (my rating....not sure of its official status).....Coconut Beach Resort that Padraig is talking about is the next hotel heading north behind Bamboo Bar..its of a similar standard to Lamai Inn

I'm not big on the star ratings....for me Lamai Perfect has nicer rooms than Lamai Inn 99 however it doesn't have a restaurant

Chaweng certainly has more clubs, restaurants and pubs but Lamai has more beer bars....I'd say in general Chaweng is for the younger under 30 clubbing lot than Lamai....but my pick as a single mature male would be Lamai...they are only 20 mins apart so its not like you can't do both from either spot

my thread on Samui covers a lot of this stuff...whilst I haven't updated it for a bit its still all quite relevant

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Lamai Inn 99 is along the beachfront next to Bikini Bar...its a well situated 3 star (my rating....not sure of its official status).....Coconut Beach Resort that Padraig is talking about is the next hotel heading north behind Bamboo Bar..its of a similar standard to Lamai Inn
    I think it is Lamai 99 Nels... It's to the left of bikini as you look up from the beach, where the massage girls hang out and sell their drinks etc. I know Coconut resort. Anyhow...

Agree with all else you said about Chaweng, the few times I've been in there at night I wasn't overly impressed with the beer bar scene. How there isn't a decent gogo in there is also strange, must be a mib thing...

DP is a youngster so he could be borderline Chaweng... 555

Lamai every time for me. And I loved the Lamai 99 Bungalows on the beach....

555 dp is tipping 40 and never was into the backpacker scene so lamai sounds good to me, I'll have a trawl through the Samui thread to refresh my memory

I stayed in Lamai Inn in 2012 and then back to Weekender in 2013.
    I personally prefer the Weekender as it has more of a hotel feel. I stayed in the rooms overlooking the beach which are fine.
    The Weekender is probably a bit over priced but the location is perfect, staff very friendly and no one bothers you at all.
    Stillearly likes this.

On the Pattaya front it looks like Tim's has dropped their prices a bit to about 60euro a night but LK Ren still trumps them at 45 for a studio.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    On the Pattaya front it looks like Tim's has dropped their prices a bit to about 60euro a night but LK Ren still trumps them at 45 for a studio.
    Cheapest method with Tims seems to be to book on their website , THB 1,873 weekdays THB 2k at weekends
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Are these hotels GF? the weekender particularly

^ Weekender is definitely GF...no joiner fee

All this samui talk is making me jealous 555.