Thread: Chiang Mai - Immigration

Chiang Mai - Immigration

Chiang Mai's provincial Immigration office is a busy one, old, understaffed and always overcrowded. Here are a few tips to make life easier if you've a need to visit CM Immi~ for any reason; Tourist visa extension, Residency certificate ...etc.

First stop is online > Chiangmai Immigration The web booking system for non-imm visa extensions fills quickly. Book 100 days in advance!

The Office is located halfway between Central Airport Plaza and CNX Airport. Motor bikes can park next door though car parking is almost non-existent ... park at PTT/Jiffy (opposite), CNX, or Central mall. Songteaw ~ 40 Bt or tuk-tuk 100 Bt from CM old city area.

Go prepared with paperwork: forms, photos, and any supporting docs x 2. There's a photocopy shop on site but the queue can be lengthy!
    Download forms here > Immigration Bureau

Any supporting documents, eg rental/lease statement etc, must be accompanied with 2 signed copies of the writers ID card or Passport.

Staff in the various offices I have visited, CNX, HKT and Ubon Ratchathani have always been courteous and helpful and speak good English. It is best to inquire by phone or in person if you have any doubts about the process rather than arrive ill-prepared. Be calm and courteous, do not raise your voice or make demands no matter how unjust or ridiculous some of the requirements may appear. Dress appropriately. If there's a problem, ask politely how to fix it, it's their job to help you.

Post below or PM if I can help with anything more ... Other BM's tips and experience's welcome too.
    Cheers, Rob.

Yes
    For some idea of how busy it can be..I went to renew my retirement visa,got there at 7.30 am to find myself 35 in the queue.
    Took till 2pm to get the visa with all paperwork in order. Fortunately only once a year. 90 day extension can be quite quick 15 mins to an hour depending on how busy.

90 day reporting

Best time to go is around 3.30pm. Walk straight up to the counter (far right) and present your Passport copies and completed TM 47.
    Sometimes they operate a queue number system, sometimes not ... I always assume not; in and out in 10 mins max! If Q-system operating they'll tell you but usually by late afternoon it's all over ... though many ppl still sit and watch the electronic numbers for hours, in vain.
    Cheers, Rob.

I usually get a number for 90 day reports. Last one took about 20 mins.

Best to make an appointment for visa renewals from 100 days beforehand as they get booked out very quickly.