Thread: Traffic lights in Patong

Traffic lights in Patong

Anyone care to speculate on the results of the coming traffic lights in Patong? I have a feeling that the traffic will be much worse when they begin to operate.

The old one on the middle road wasn't too bad as no one really paid any attention to it, but the new ones look like they will be working as regular traffic lights and on much more congested roads.

We noticed on Tuesday night pedestrian traffic lights installed at the crossings at both ends of Bangla Rd. (not working yet).
    Are these what you are referring to?
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Yes. There are at least one more, at Rat-u-Thit at the section at Ban Sam Nai Yen School - the road to the beach/hospital. I hope the lights will mean that it will be possible (well, allowed) to cross over, but I fear that more traffic congestion will be a very high price to pay for that.

K2
    Traffic lights in Thailand are simply decorative ... especially pedestrian ones!
    Its My Life .....!

Surely this is long overdue?!!!

If it makes it easier and safer for pedestrians, then this can only be a good thing. It may cause more congestion for motorists, but you have to think about everyone else. You have to find a compromise for all, whether using the road or just crossing it. I've always found it a pain in the arse to cross Beach Road or Rat U Thit. Slowing down the traffic in an area where most are walking can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by del boy View Post
    Surely this is long overdue?!!!

If it makes it easier and safer for pedestrians, then this can only be a good thing. It may cause more congestion for motorists, but you have to think about everyone else. You have to find a compromise for all, whether using the road or just crossing it. I've always found it a pain in the arse to cross Beach Road or Rat U Thit. Slowing down the traffic in an area where most are walking can only be a good thing.
    Have you seen the pedestrian lights on Beach Rd in Pattaya? They are almost treated as target practice by motorists there...

Yeah thai road rules are right of way goes to size / value of vehicle, the toyota has to give way to the merc, the scooter to the toyota, the pedestrian to the scooter.. Status = the right to ignore those lower than you.

Hence these lights confuse everyone, the tourist thinks he has the right of way, the Thai thinks they do..

PTG
    If it's anything like the lights installed in Nai Harn, it will create more traffic, leading to more road rage and more impatient idiots.

I'm willing to bet they will never get started...look at the traffic lights that have existed in other areas...such as the intersection at the south end of Nanai Rd..and the T-section at the north end of Nanai at sainamyen