Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Waharoa

Thread: The coup that no one cared about...

The coup that no one cared about...

Just wanted to share that I was literally shocked that my flight from Dubai to BKK was absolutely frigging 100% full. This sucked as I got stuck in a middle seat, between two guys that werent far from my size. Not fun at all. I ate my dinner elbows-in... I looked like a retarded praying mantis.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the despite the political strife and the notion that there's a coup possibly waiting to happen, it isnt stopping anyone from coming to Thailand. Note to self, when traveling Emirates in the future, go online and pick a seat the very moment web check-in becomes available.

As I couldnt even remotely rest, I was up for about 26 hours straight between work and the flights... it's now been 2 days and I'm still not fully here, mentally. I'm still kind of on autopilot. Sucks. Who would've thought red-eye travel to a nation so full of political strife could be totally sold out?

Busy on my flight last night and in immigration as well, I was thinking it would be smooth sailing but not really!!! and tonight Soi Cowboy very quiet….but could still just walk through Asoke intersection, but no cars..

I realise it doesn't help now having gone two days without sleep, but for future referance you can pick your Emirates seat as soon as you book your flight. I tend to book quite well in advance these days and as soon as I book a flight I choose my seat. Those middle seats suck pretty bad...

my flight to Bangkok from Dubai in early Dec was half empty...

Could it be WP that so many flights have been cancelled they are packing everyone into fewer flights now?

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    or also transits to further destinations ... not everyone on a DXB - BKK flight stays in Thailand.
    I'd say you are correct. I was on the BKK>SYD>CCH Emirates 777 flight recently, it was full of transit pax ex Europe/Dubai.
    Cheers, Rob.

Just sitting here waiting in Transit in SuvanaBOOM again... BKK Airways flight to here was full. If the political situation is affecting travel, I aint seein it. Airport seems as busy as ever. We have a 2 hour layover, headed to Krabi.

That said, the gf was saying they were showing street shots near soi Cowboy last night and there were very few people.

Also, I didnt get an option to pick my seat until the 24 hour thing came in email. Maybe because I bought through a 3rd party (Kayak)? I'll check the Emirates website...

Funny I just read Patts is 80% down (of course I wonder if Thai reporting has any basis for that of if they really mean it is 80% of normal ??)..

You would assume Patts and hua hin would have an uptick of people avoiding Bangkok.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Just sitting here waiting in Transit in SuvanaBOOM again... BKK Airways flight to here was full. If the political situation is affecting travel, I aint seein it. Airport seems as busy as ever. We have a 2 hour layover, headed to Krabi.

That said, the gf was saying they were showing street shots near soi Cowboy last night and there were very few people.

Also, I didnt get an option to pick my seat until the 24 hour thing came in email. Maybe because I bought through a 3rd party (Kayak)? I'll check the Emirates website...
    You might find that a booking referance allows access to the seating plan on the Emirates site, worth a look, but maybe it is only available to those who have booked direct with them.

Last time there was a coup no shots were fired, it was a peaceful transition from one government to the army for a short time and then an election. The news reports people outside the country saw showed smiling people giving soldiers flowers and tanks rolling around with yellow flowers draped over the business end.

There doesn't seem to be any advice against travelling to Thailand so maybe people are just not worried about it?

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Funny I just read Patts is 80% down (of course I wonder if Thai reporting has any basis for that of if they really mean it is 80% of normal ??)..

You would assume Patts and hua hin would have an uptick of people avoiding Bangkok.
    I was in Pattaya for the first half of December and it was quieter than when I have been there in low season. All the BGs said "because of the protests". Sounds like it may have picked up a little over Christmas/New year...

wow, you talked to ALL the BG's in Patts in only 14 days? Impressive ;-)
    Its a tough job.. But someones gotta.. Etc

wow, you talked to ALL the BG's in Patts in only 14 days? Impressive ;-)
    Lazy English. All the BGs I spoke to... 555

Which was only half of Patts

It was an eerie sight looking down the empty Simon Beer Complexes... except for bored looking BGs...certainly meant you had a lot of choice!
    LivinLOS and JimCA2 like this.

^I like those odds, Nick!

Anyway, finally made it back from Krabi last night. I cant say I've been to Krabi before, so I dont know if it was up or down. I can say that from my perspective it looked busy. When we did our island tour, there were literally mobs of people there to get on the boats and go all over. I opted for the speedboat over the longtail (faster) and it was totally full. Every boat we passed or parked near also seemed similarly full. Every stop we made had hundreds and hundreds of people taking pictures or swimming with the fishies or just being tourists in general.

Had the usual one and a half hour delay at Suvanaboom... I always chalk that up to the airport being over-congested with air traffic, but I could be wrong. Just seems about half the time I connect through there, I get an hour to an hour & a half delay for some reason. It ended up meaning we got back pretty late. Day of rest & recovery today, then we head out tomorrow on a 4 day ride.