Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Box Jellyfish seen off Kata.

Box Jellyfish seen off Kata.

Caution Urged on Scary Reports of Jellyfish off Phuket Beach - Phuket Wan

Caution Urged on Scary Reports of Jellyfish off Phuket Beach
    By Alan Morison
    Monday, May 20, 2013

PHUKET: Experts confirm that stinging jellyfish can be found in waters off Phuket but they prefer to take a cautious approach rather than scaring swimmers from the island's popular beaches.

Bangkok experts on jellyfish have joined with Phuket Public Health, Phuket hospitals and the Phuket Marine Biological Centre today and tomorrow on Phuket for a two-day seminar on jellyfish in Andaman waters.

''There have always been jellyfish in the sea off Phuket,'' one marine biologist said today from the seminar. ''There are no indications that lethal varieties can be found off Phuket's popular beaches.''

Phuket diver Joe Blasy, with 13 years' experience on Phuket, filmed jellyfish on three occasions while on night dives off Phuket's Kata beach in recent weeks.

He posted footage on YouTube in March-April and also sent the video to the Phuket Marine Biological Centre.

''The centre confirmed that the footage was of box jellyfish but that it was probably a non-lethal variety,'' he told Phuketwan today.

Mr Blasy said he filmed the small jellyfish between 50 metres and 20 metres off Kata beach using a torch on night dives.

''I'd say the bell would be about seven centimetres across with the tentacles extending for 10 to 15 centimetres.''

Sightings of jellyfish on dives off Phuket were not unusual, he said.

''I've had a friend who was stung by a jellyfish but that hardly seems to be a problem,'' he said. ''We have to share the water with them.''

Mr Blasy said it was important not to sensationalise the issue. ''I work in tourism so I don't want to alarm people unnecessarily,'' he said.

''Providing accurate, updated information is the best way to deal with the issue.''

The Phuket Marine Biological Centre responded by saying that they would like a captured jellyfish so they could confirm what type it was, he said.

No deadly or serious box jellyfish stings have been recorded on Phuket's west coast, although the expansion of jellyfish in all seas worldwide has led to Phuket authorities erecting signs on popular Phuket beaches.

The signs make the point that vinegar is the only treatment that reduces the toxicity but not the pain of box jellyfish stings.

Phuketwan has waded into the waters of an east coast Phuket bay where a small variety of the box jellyfish have existed, probably for decades if not longer.

However, like most jellyfish, they sting but are unlikely to prove lethal. The monsoon season usually brings more jellyfish to all Andaman provinces.

''The lethality of this particular species cannot be determined without examining a specimen,'' Mr Blasy said. ''Many box jellies are no more venomous than an average jellyfish.''

Sef I hardly ever swim in the sea but have known there have been jellyfish in the sea all the years I have lived here. Deano reports back regarding their numbers at different times of the year. The article appears to say the same thing. Not sure why you posted this? as a warning for swimmers? shall we also tell them there are shark in the sea as well?

Not having a go, it seems a bit of a sensationalist headline, then when read, its pretty much down to earth and then you re-post it, just wondered why?

My biggest concern is still the lack of people taking any notice of the red flags, and still we are getting a large number of people drowning every year. Sat and had breakfast a Nai Thon Beach last week, big red flag stuck in the sand right by the restaurant, people walking round it to dive in the sea????

I think 'jellyfish' and 'box jellyfish' are 2 totally different things in this case.. One can be lethal, melt flesh etc etc..

For the last few years people have been saying boxies were here in very low numbers.. The Authorities denied it.. Said box jellyfish were not in Thai waters... Then a year or two back a girl died of shock after being stung on (IIRC) Lanta and a few of us speculated it might be the first box jellyfish death.. Of course Thai media will always downplay a story like this, Thai beaches and all.. There was also a woman badly scarred in Krabi a while back too if memory serves. This went totally unreported in Thai media and was covered in the UK press.

I also seem to recall some warning that box jellyfish were reported on the mangrove side of Phuket, someone even caught some as samples, and you might notice the careful wording that there are no indications they are to be found off Phukets popular west coast beaches.. Now they are seen off Phukets west coast and the careful statement is "well it might not be the lethal kind"..

Lets hope thats its non lethal jellyfish found, and this isnt a trend (rising sea waters, lack of predators, etc). Box jellyfish are a whole different story to regular jellyfish in the severity of sting.

How many of these boxies have been caught and tested? there's tons of them everywhere right? catching a few for testing cannot be too difficult? How many cases of deaths, 'meltings' (your term) or stings from lethal box jellyfish?

But there has been for all the period of time I've lived here, jelly fish in the sea, including a variety of box jelly fish brought in by the turn of winds.

At this stage I questioned the why of posting this article, because it is in my opinion trying to whip up some worry, stir out of context a problem that is currently under investigation, with no further proof at present. So Scaremongering? because there is simply no facts to back up anything, so lets just assume Thai scientists are idiots, Thai governors are fools, heh they all must be, what else we got to talk about in the pub tonight!!!!55555555555

If my impression of this post is incorrect, please accept my apologise, but it just appears to be any old thing to jump on the lets bash Thailand wagon. Why not post it and say they have been sighted be careful, the facts that are known at present? there are no indications that lethal varieties have been found off the coast, not anyone said there are no jelly fish, nor not there are no box jelly fish.

Lethal jelly fish?, lack of deaths and severe stings would seem to hold this statement true at present? were you aware there were non-lethal box jellyfish? so the local government, the local scientists, if there are any local scientists, have to be on top of their game for absolutely everything and anything that can possibly occur, man the department with thousands, because having to check out a bunch of other stuff and leave the jelly fish test to next week cos of workload, will just not wash, now instantly or you are all Thai eejits!!!

No.. Until a few years ago it was said there were none.. They used to say there were no box jellyfish in Thai waters.. Thats clearly no longer true.

Someone caught samples at the mangrove side a year or so back.. But no news I saw ever said anything more..

I would assume, as Thais love to downplay anything that might hurt tourism, that the full truth may not be stated.. Hence the point of posting it.

If box jellyfish are spreading into Thai waters.. Then its definitely something to be aware of..

This didnt make Thai press and PW only picked it up after the UK had printed it.. If the hospitals were aware of it you would think a warning would be made ??

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Asthma saved me from killer jellyfish sting

Two salient facts to consider...

Shipping is spreading sea-borne species (mainly pests) through ballast water, so its not necessarily a natural phenomena.

The appearance of jelly-fish, most specie, near land/estuaries etc. is often a precursor to poor weather and adverse sea conditions within a few days.
    Cheers, Rob.

I was stung by regular stingers a couple of times in one day when I was diving in Phuket, which I didn't think much of since they're very common here. But box jelly stings are few and far between even in places like Queensland. Certainly more common than shark attacks, but still fall into the rare and unlucky category when it happens.

Most countries don't have the medical experience to deal with box jelly though. Doctors in Australia can keep you alive if you can get to them in time, but it's still not an experience you'd want to go through.

The severity of the pain from an Irukandji Jellyfish sting is apparent in the 2005 documentary Killer Jellyfish, when two Australian researchers Jamie Seymour and Teresa Carrette are stung. Even under the maximum dose of morphine, Carrette remarked she "wished she could rip her skin off".

My own brother was done by one a few years back. He was strapped to the bed and they had a security guard watching over him to make sure he didn't hurt himself. I wasn't there but later on he told me that at one stage he was asking the guard to kill him. Just to give you an idea...
    Last edited by Bacon; 21st May 2013 at 20:56.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    How many of these boxies have been caught and tested? there's tons of them everywhere right? catching a few for testing cannot be too difficult? How many cases of deaths, 'meltings' (your term) or stings from lethal box jellyfish?

But there has been for all the period of time I've lived here, jelly fish in the sea, including a variety of box jelly fish brought in by the turn of winds.

At this stage I questioned the why of posting this article, because it is in my opinion trying to whip up some worry, stir out of context a problem that is currently under investigation, with no further proof at present. So Scaremongering? because there is simply no facts to back up anything, so lets just assume Thai scientists are idiots, Thai governors are fools, heh they all must be, what else we got to talk about in the pub tonight!!!!55555555555

If my impression of this post is incorrect, please accept my apologise, but it just appears to be any old thing to jump on the lets bash Thailand wagon. Why not post it and say they have been sighted be careful, the facts that are known at present? there are no indications that lethal varieties have been found off the coast, not anyone said there are no jelly fish, nor not there are no box jelly fish.

Lethal jelly fish?, lack of deaths and severe stings would seem to hold this statement true at present? were you aware there were non-lethal box jellyfish? so the local government, the local scientists, if there are any local scientists, have to be on top of their game for absolutely everything and anything that can possibly occur, man the department with thousands, because having to check out a bunch of other stuff and leave the jelly fish test to next week cos of workload, will just not wash, now instantly or you are all Thai eejits!!!
    fcuk Dodger, can anyone say anything about your precious Thailand

your post is foolish

the article says "Caution Urged", doesn't say there is an imminent catastrophe
    it is a warning, there are all kinds of warnings in the summer about beaches that never transpire but it is good to have a heads up, just in case

that is all it is

Been cramming in too many episodes of QI lately 555. Quite Interesting though that the jellyfish population is vast, as much as 40% of the total biomass of the ocean in fact.

And by studying them and the eco-systems all around us, we might even learn a tiny bit more about the vast worlds that exist beyond our comprehension or fantasies. Jet-propelled Jellyfish, Immortal Jellyfish, Sun-powered Jellies?

QI : Quite Interesting
    soupdragon likes this.

It's the ones you don't see that get ya.... They are extremely difficult to see ... Unlike blue bottles, which are easy to spot... ... Box jelly fish are bastards of things, when they are present in our waters, you just don't go in, if you have any sense.

I was in the tropical north, at an aboriginal mission a few years back, and the people did tend to run the gauntlet, by swimming whilst the jelly fish were in season. I saw the results of a young child being hit by one of these things, and the welts on the kids body were hideous. He didn't die, but it was a close run thing.

IF they are present in Thai waters, they will be seasonal, and i wouldn't be swimming if they were around.... But has been said, there are zillions of jelly fish types, some have powerful stings others have none or minor stingers... Let's just hope the ones that have been found there, are the non lethal type

^ I wouldn't worry tho as Dodger says its fine to swim...

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    ^ I wouldn't worry tho as Dodger says its fine to swim...
    No I didn't, or maybe you'd like to a show me where I said it was fine to swim?

If you read my posts you'd see that all I'm pointing out is we do not know for certain if there are many box jelly fish, we do not know for certain what type? so why sensationalise something that no one is yet certain of?.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    fcuk Dodger, can anyone say anything about your precious Thailand

your post is foolish
    Well maybe my reply should be 'fuck you Paul', can I not make a single post that is not full of negativity without worrying that you will post your normal retort of 'Dodgers coming to the protection of Thailand again'!!! I do occasionally have a personal opinion that is positive about the country I live in.

As for being foolish, that is your opinion. Of all the articles printed everyday, this was singled out to be posted, with no comment, it was followed up with a justification of almost there must be box jelly fish, they must be dangerous types and what? should no one should then go swimming? Thailand are just so full of idiots in high positions, they will not do anything to protect anyone, just cover it all up.

This type of comment is the one that really annoys me, always made by people that do not know all the full facts but have nothing better to do than moan all day long. Look at this forum, its Asia Info, covering all the nearby countries in S E Asia, then go look for one single comment trying to be negative towards the stupid Cambodians, the stupid Malaysians, the stupid Singaporeans and how they are all idiots who cannot do anything right, funny that isn't it? there's only stupid people in Thailand?

When I lived in England the same people sat around me and had the same conversations about the stupid government, the stupid councilors, these people are just so perfect and always right and know best, why are they not running the countries???

The longer I live here, the more I learn, the more I am coming to respect the Asian way of doing things in a lot of things, what was different to what I knew was initially stupid, then well sometimes its not so bad, to well actually many of the ways things are done are so much better. I question myself, 'am I just getting used to things?' maybe, knowing what will happen, how it will happen and its becoming the norm?
    briofoz likes this.

5 minutes of research shows:

Wiki: Although the box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature",[12] only a few species in the class have been confirmed to be involved in human deaths, and some species pose no serious threat at all. For example, the sting of Chiropsella bart only results in short-lived itching and mild pain.[13]

So the basic premise of the Headline is not supported by the article and many comments following are flawed until the "box jellyfish" type is identified - whether it's in Thailand or off Vancouver Island.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 22nd May 2013 at 17:33.

Toxic species of box jellies have been reported in this region going back to 2008 (maybe longer) so I would say it is responsible to alert the public to the potential danger.
    Changone likes this.

^ i remember reading of a death on Lanta around 2008 and started carrying vinegar in the beach kit after that and always had an eye out for any type of jellyfish around me when in the water. Nai Harn seemed to attract a lot when they were around in big numbers.

Swedish girl dies from jellyfish sting on Koh Lanta

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    5 minutes of research shows:

Wiki: Although the box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature",[12] only a few species in the class have been confirmed to be involved in human deaths, and some species pose no serious threat at all. For example, the sting of Chiropsella bart only results in short-lived itching and mild pain.[13]

So the basic premise of the Headline is not supported by the article and many comments following are flawed until the "box jellyfish" type is identified - whether it's in Thailand or off Vancouver Island.
    What percentage of box jellyfish are mild stingers v what percentage are deadly or scaring / skin melting etc tho ??

Australia Dangerous Animals

Box Jellyfish- One of the more deadly animals on the face of the Earth, also called "Sea Wasp". The jelly-fish has a square body, and lives in Northern and North-Eastern Australia. It can be found near the coast along all the Great Barrier Reef which extends as far as 2000 Km. The toxin present on the tentacles (which may reach several feet in length) is so strong, that the few survivors from an encounter with a box jellyfish describe it more as an electrical shock than a burn. After contact, the person will probably leave the water screaming and will faint on the sand with marks on the body that look like streaks. Depending on the area affected, Cardio-Respiratory functions may stop in just 3 minutes, and mouth to mouth resuscitation and first aid procedures are essential to keep the victim alive. It's essential that you stay with the victim, and send someone to phone for or get an ambulance. Vinegar and peeing on the spot may reduce the pain a little bit, but medical assistance is vital to save the victim. The box jellyfish is responsible for more deaths in Australia than snakes, sharks, and salt water crocodiles put together

I think people can also be allergic to the harmless stingers, and can go into antipathetic shock when in others it would only produce itching or mild stinging. So it's not always because they've brushed up against a real nasty one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I think people can also be allergic to the harmless stingers, and can go into antipathetic shock when in others it would only produce itching or mild stinging. So it's not always because they've brushed up against a real nasty one.
    Or more common I reckon anaphylactic shock. (Sorry just made me laugh out loud 555. Those antipathy shocks can be dangerous too though...)

lol, anaphylactic is what I meant. That's thanks to auto-correct. Didn't even know antipathetic was a word 555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast